Sprite Problems

candlegirl

Hi there. 2 week old new Sprite Quattro. Just wondering if there is a problem with this van as we seem to be having big problems with it just now. A bit wary of our dealer which does not seem to be very helpful with small snagging problems so a bit worried about the bigger items being dealt with although we will tackle them next week.

First - front window which bows when driving and the outside pane touches the inside pane which is a bit disconcerting. Dealer has accepted this is a known problem and has ordered a new front screen for us.

Major water ingress problem front of caravan and all windows (not condensation). All window seals are leaking in heavy rain. Also, in heavy downpour this weekend, whole front windscreen wall and three feet either side on side walls soaking wet with water pouring through. Running hand along panels under the window and under the seating areas, hands came away soaking. Water drops running down inside of front left seating locker.

Both lights top front of van full of water.

Is this a known problem with this caravan. We love our van so we are hopeful of a fix before the caravan suffers by it.

Sprite Quattro - Kia Sedona

Something is terribly wrong here. Assuming all that you say is (with respect true) this van needs immediate rejection as not fit for purpose. Without delay, tommorow, take it back and tell them you require the immediate return of your money. Do not let them try to repair it.

Edited by SuperMike

Regards

SuperMike

together with

Management and Lady Faith Finesse, who is a Black & Tan Cavalier KCS - Gorgeous Girl, and my wife is as well.

Sedona 2. 9TDi - Swift Conqueror 645 LUX

CAVALIERS ARE LIKE SUNSHINE, THEY BRIGHTEN UP YOUR DAY.

Nightmare. Thanks. We took it on finance so not sure where we will stand. Kids will be devastated if we have to put it back as they have had a ball with the two weekends we have had away and another booked up for next weekend(I am guessing that will tell us how bad it is). That should not be the issue though. Going out to buy a damp meter tomorrow to see how much damage was done with the downpour and not sure where we stand on sale of goods act. Guess I am going to have to learn.

We took our chance with a new caravan and looks like we are going to have a headache.

Don't waste your money on any damp meters. You will needto spend at least £100 for anything that gives you a meaningfull answer. Take it back, it's not going to fix itself and get any better.

Regards

SuperMike

together with

Management and Lady Faith Finesse, who is a Black & Tan Cavalier KCS - Gorgeous Girl, and my wife is as well.

Sedona 2. 9TDi - Swift Conqueror 645 LUX

CAVALIERS ARE LIKE SUNSHINE, THEY BRIGHTEN UP YOUR DAY.

Thanks

Decided to take it back to dealer on Monday next week. Tried to take pictures of the water, but our camera wasn't up to the detail. Nothing is going to get any better before or after next week, so will let the kids have their weekend which is already booked and then deal with it somehow.

After the first weekend out with the caravan, we had our dealer sort a minor fault with the kitchen cupboard when we took it in about the windscreen problem, and while they had it, they used a hammer to knock in where the (too long) screws had popped the panel and denied it (black mark was still in evidence where they bashed back in the bits the screws has pushed out, and the raised bumps still there under the hammering. It was only a little thing and I wouldn't have minded if they said, yep, can see what you mean, sorry for doing that - and were willing to forgive that if they told the truth. They didn't though, they had to deny doing it and say they would never do that, and they got annoyed about it being suggested. Nerve and raw spring to mind. Anyway, that lets you know why I am a bit wary going in with water problems and what the reaction will be. Don't hold out much hope on last weeks performance. Sales dept seem to be fine, but aftercare is a different story. Guess it has to be the right person you speak to.

Next weekend is the kids choice of caravan park and they are looking forward to it and if we have to reject the caravan that also means holidays this year probably up the spout as I can't see us getting a replacement in time, so we'll phone tomorrow and stick it out for one more week. Do you know how long we have to reject the caravan as not fit for purpose?

Thanks Supermike.

Swift - Any advice - is this common on sprites??

Candlegirl

Sorry to here about the problems with your van. If you want us to look into this for you please email me at aspacey@swiftleisure. co. uk or call our Customer Services Team on 01482 875740 with some details.

Thanks

Andy

Swift Group Website: www. swiftgroup. co. uk

Swift Group Handbooks: www. swiftgroup. co. uk/caravans/handbooks

Moving forward. Swift have spoken to dealer and are going to try to get them out to see the van before we head off on Thursday. Will find out more tomorrow when either I can contact dealer or Swift can and we get it checked over.

Major Issues for our dealer will be:

- All window seals.

- Water ingress to rear bed locker left side (not as bad as the front), whole front of caravan internal walls, right and left side walls of caravan to approx

2 - 3 feet from the front. Worst under the left seating area into the corner.

- External sealing (as per pics).

Will keep you posted.

Thanks to those who have messaged & Swift reassurances so far. Feeling a bit better about it all now.

Called the dealer today and wires must have got crossed somewhere. Swift lady had said they were going to try to get dealer out to view the van before Thursday re problems.

I called the dealer, who said they had only been talking to swift about the bowing window and nothing mentioned re the water ingress or sealing on the caravan. The bowing window is the least of our worries at the moment, although it is a fault that needs remedied.

Dealer have said they will come out tomorrow to have a look at it when I said that Swift had said they would try to arrange it. I have asked them to take a damp meter so we can check to see if it has affected the structure. Onwards.

Hi

Even though this is very disappointing and really should not be happening be rest assured that in buying a swift van you have bought piece of mind as well as swift wont let you down and will get it all sorted out.

In 6 months time you will look back and smile about it all .

It just looks like you have bought a Friday afternoon van . But all will come good im sure.

CHEERS DAZKIM

Called the dealer today and wires must have got crossed somewhere. Swift lady had said they were going to try to get dealer out to view the van before Thursday re problems.

I called the dealer, who said they had only been talking to swift about the bowing window and nothing mentioned re the water ingress or sealing on the caravan. The bowing window is the least of our worries at the moment, although it is a fault that needs remedied.

Dealer have said they will come out tomorrow to have a look at it when I said that Swift had said they would try to arrange it. I have asked them to take a damp meter so we can check to see if it has affected the structure. Onwards.

Hi Candlegirl

I agree with the others the van is not fit for its purpose i know its easy for me to say but it will help long term to get the van changed as you have no idea what kind of damage has been done allready or what the van might be like a few years from now. If you look in the pages of the forum you will see that swift will not let you down. We have a 2008 sprite major and they were very good when we had problems with our window bowing in. Also been said that you will have a laugh about when you are sorted and have many good hols away in your van. Hope you get sorted soon.

Dave m

Candlegirl

You need to start making notes of dates, times and events here.

I have put a link below to a fact sheet on the sale of goods act which lays out the position/your rights and how you go forward.

http://www. berr. gov. uk/whatwedo/consumers/.../page38311. html

Obviously not banging the table and dealing with this in a sensible manner without having to resort to the law/a solicitor is best but. ...it is there in the background.

In the first six months the onus is on the manufacturer/dealer to prove the fault was not there on manufacture rather than you prove it was - See question 13 on the sheet

Mike

Mike Wild. Mazda CX-7 towing Lunar Clubman Saros SB.

Forgot to add, I am in conversation with Swift and my Dealer over issues with my 2008 Conqueror and it is clear that acting in a reasonable and sensible manner is producing a satisfactory outcome - see my thread last updated 20th April (Big Thank you to Swift and North Western Caravans).

I donot wish to comment yet but Swift and my Dealer are not ignoring the problems, are actively working on them and once they are fully resolved to my satisfaction (which should be in the next two/three days) then I expect to be adding positive comments here about the experience.

Swift are certainly being pro-active

Mike

Looking at the pictures of the outside it looks like someone had let a chimpanzee loose with a mastic gun,are you sure this is a "new" caravan! I thought we had water ingress problems with our caravan but i think yours takes it to another level ! I hope you get it sorted soon before any irreversable damage is done,looking at the input from Swift on this forum you should have no problems but get tough with the dealer as their the ones with you hard earned!

Edited by grasmere59

2012 Freelander SD4 HSE towing a 2007 Elddis Sunstyle GT 482

Hi Candlegirl,

Sorry, but clearly there is some confusion, I have asked our Customer Care team to give you a call in the morning to update you.

Thanks,

Ash

Wow Ash - Swift you answer fast. Thanks for reply.

Mike I have looked at the information you sent in case we have to go the route of rejecting, and hopefully if we have to go that way, dealer will understand any issues that cause it. Part of me is still hoping not needed to go that far, but we are going to wait and see what tomorrow uncovers, review our options and take it from there. I am interested in finding out what caused the problem if at all possible, so I want to go the route of inspection to try and uncover the reasons for what happened and try to understand it. I'm not angry at all, tho I will admit a sinking feeling in my stomach when it first happened, but hopeful it will all be ok in the end whatever the outcome. Like any manufactured item, some are going to have problems, so if we can get to the root of it, we will know a bit more of what to look for in future in case it ever happens to us again.

Everyone - thanks for replies.

We've had a scoot round the van again today with some rain but not as heavy or prolonged as caused the problem and the wallboard inside hasn't suffered today and it feels dry to the touch now. The seals were heavy with water, but as it wasn't as bad as the other day and they still held.

The sealing on a couple of other bits inside and out is also a bit ropey, but it maybe a problem with the sealer the day ours was done. I am not sure how that is done and if it is by hand or machine.

One question some more experienced caravan owners might be able to answer is about the roof. Amazing what you notice when you actually look at something with more than rose tinted glasses on. It had a couple of pretty large puddles of water on it and when one end was pressed lightly, the other end rippled up and the water then channeled off the roof. Does water sit on caravan rooves normally and are they usually flat or slightly raised to channel water off? I am not sure how the roof of a caravan is structured but I was surprised it was so flexible. Perhaps there is a reason for that and if caravan rooves are flat then I can see how water can pool on the roof. I am not sure how water is meant to run off a flat roof. Maybe that's just how caravans are and the water eventually dries up. I'm new at caravan inspection so forgive me if it is an ignorant question !!!!!.

Thanks again everyone. Learning by the minute.

Our 2000 Coachman Amara roof was as solid as a rock,so much so that when i had to replace a skylight i actually had my full weight on it to do the job(and i'm no lightweight) and it never budged an inch,our Elddis roof looks so fragile i would'nt dare put any weight on it whatsoever,like yours we have little puddles that form on the roof but as we normally always have it parked nosewheel down for added security most of the water just runs off the front,if we are leaving the van for any extended period we always use the caravan cover so that eliminates water problems.

2012 Freelander SD4 HSE towing a 2007 Elddis Sunstyle GT 482

I wouldn't worry about water on the roof. .I had a Hobby that had a body length of 25 feet and was 8 foot wide and had two roof top swimming pools, one at each end so much so that 5 or 6 of the lads on the caravan site went up the ladder to have a look. .Years ago there used to be a caravan sales company in the village of Hunmanby which is near Filey in North Yorkshire. You had to go upstairs to the awning department but at the top of the stairs it was like a balcony and you could look down onto the sales area and see the tops of all the new caravans. .There wasn't a straight flat one amongst them, you would have almost thought that somebody had been dancing on them. .Glad you are getting sorted

Cheers

Hobbynut

PS. .The Hobby roof is that strong that you can actually walk on it no problem and I believe that Hymer are the same

Edited by Hobbynut

It wasn't me. .The big lads did it and ran away

Candlegirl

You seem to be adopting the right approach here and not increasing your blood pressure!

However. ...

Don't be fooled by touching the wall board and thinking it is dry inside where you can't see or feel inside it.

The locker door that was the trigger for my problems felt dry to the touch but the damp meter registered 100% on the damp meter scale (normal acceptable level of ambient mositure is up to 20). Similarly a wallboard between the window and the locker felt ok to the touch but again registered between 80% and 100%.

The only way you can dry the inside of a wall is to strip the furniture out as required, remove the internal wall covering and expose the internal boards/timbers to an intense drying process of heaters etc.

Of course you do have to assume that once that has been done that the Dealer is able to pinpoint the original source of the leak and deal with it.

Yes puddles do occur on roofs so you need to be careful when hitching up sometimes. I have been hit by a water fall cascading off the front of the van before now when hitching up! I always leave the van parked up when in storage with the nose slightly down to stop water accumulating on the roof. Just me being over cautious/careful over the winter I suppose

Mike

Wow Ash - Swift you answer fast. Thanks for reply.

Mike I have looked at the information you sent in case we have to go the route of rejecting, and hopefully if we have to go that way, dealer will understand any issues that cause it. Part of me is still hoping not needed to go that far, but we are going to wait and see what tomorrow uncovers, review our options and take it from there. I am interested in finding out what caused the problem if at all possible, so I want to go the route of inspection to try and uncover the reasons for what happened and try to understand it. I'm not angry at all, tho I will admit a sinking feeling in my stomach when it first happened, but hopeful it will all be ok in the end whatever the outcome. Like any manufactured item, some are going to have problems, so if we can get to the root of it, we will know a bit more of what to look for in future in case it ever happens to us again.

Everyone - thanks for replies.

We've had a scoot round the van again today with some rain but not as heavy or prolonged as caused the problem and the wallboard inside hasn't suffered today and it feels dry to the touch now. The seals were heavy with water, but as it wasn't as bad as the other day and they still held.

The sealing on a couple of other bits inside and out is also a bit ropey, but it maybe a problem with the sealer the day ours was done. I am not sure how that is done and if it is by hand or machine.

One question some more experienced caravan owners might be able to answer is about the roof. Amazing what you notice when you actually look at something with more than rose tinted glasses on. It had a couple of pretty large puddles of water on it and when one end was pressed lightly, the other end rippled up and the water then channeled off the roof. Does water sit on caravan rooves normally and are they usually flat or slightly raised to channel water off? I am not sure how the roof of a caravan is structured but I was surprised it was so flexible. Perhaps there is a reason for that and if caravan rooves are flat then I can see how water can pool on the roof. I am not sure how water is meant to run off a flat roof. Maybe that's just how caravans are and the water eventually dries up. I'm new at caravan inspection so forgive me if it is an ignorant question !!!!!.

Thanks again everyone. Learning by the minute.

candlegirl

It will be interesting what swift say about your roof as ours in the sprite major five sounds very similar, although perhaps not quite as bad. You can see it move when you clean it and it does have puddles on it. Hope you get sorted soon.

Dave M

• 1 month later...

Ok reserved judgement to see what this would end up being resolved with and left this to see how it would progress for a while. Giving the dealers the chance to remedy and their standard of workmanship is laughable. Dealer got past his aggression and started being nicer to us, but I picked up the van from storage for the first time today since they had it in for the "repairs". Good job they are closed today or I might have said something and that is not like me at all. I've been nice about it for months, but they are causing damage every time they do something with it.

Swift say they are one of the better dealers they have, so if that is the case, I really pity those who are stuck with the dealers who are not one of the better ones. They did promise to redo the sealer on the top rail and it does look better and they soaked the van for a few days which they say they have done and no noticeable damp readings, but have to take on trust what they did which is not easy to do given the rest.

So far dealer issues caused / still outstanding.

1 - Bowed window - still not replaced. Ho hum - it's always going to be a fortnight. That wears thin after a while.

2 - Not originally included in my postings, but what the hell - we were promised a replacement front cushion too from the original date we bought the van as there is a hole in one of them and was picked up at PDI and it's the first thing everyone who goes in the van notices, but that hasn't materialised either.

3 - Seals issue - now that's a joke. Don't know where to start with what they have done there. Yep, they do leak, they have tightened up the window somehow and possibly turned around all the catches at the bottom so it is the thicker end, ie B that the latch holds onto. It is now so tight that four of the window seals rubbers have cracked along the creases so they are totally perished now. All the others are cracking as well. One of the handle bits that hangs down has totally been split right across. They handles are all so tight now that the B bit of plastic on the windows is now bending in on all of them and will break with time. It looks like they have turned around all the bits with the A and B on them so that the thicker side is changed around to make the seals tighter. This means that when you put the windows on the night setting, the windows are still against the seal as they are so tight.

Can anyone with a sprite have a look at their window catches and tell me which way they are supposed to be, ie A toward window or caravan. B towards window or caravan.

4 - Van has 8 inch score along outside bottom panel, deep enough to be really noticeable. That must hae been felt.

5 - Uncovered a new fault on looking around today where the panel above the number plate at the back is actually not sealed to the van along the whole left hand side. I plan to seal that myself so that I know it is done properly.

I'd rather replace the window seals myself as well, I'd make a better job but will need new catches and seals to do the job but that will void warranty. Not happy.

The problem seems to be that every time they get the caravan that it comes back worse than it went into them with damage. Pretty pathetic to be honest. Not a happy bunny now really and Swift think the sun shines out of them as a dealer.

It seems to me that the dealers take the attitude of they've got your money so f you and do the cheapest / shortest time fixes only.

Rant over and putting my toys back in the pram now and off to phone Swift to see what that brings out. Update later.

Hi Candlegirl,

I am sorry to read that these issues are still not resolved.

I am not sure if you have spoke to our Customer Services Team today or not, but if you want please contact me,

Regards

Andy