Why Do I Bother?

We always charge the battery up a few days before travelling, chill the fridge etc. En route the fridge runs off the car electrics. So far (13 months of ownership) we have always used EHU pitches, with 2 young kids we need mains for the telly and DVD player.

So, tell me why do I bother with a leisure battery? It doesn't get used on-site, I don't have a motor mover, I may occasionally put the lights on when the van is on the drive at home, when cleaning before we go away etc, but I'm sure I could manage without. And to add to it all, it was replaced 3 months ago at the service because the old one was knackered and the van is only 2 years old. I don't think the previous owner used it much either.

Cruzer, aka Colin

Growing old is unavoidable, growing up is optional. .. Hyundai Santa Fe & Bailey Pegeant Bretagne.

We always charge the battery up a few days before travelling, chill the fridge etc. En route the fridge runs off the car electrics. So far (13 months of ownership) we have always used EHU pitches, with 2 young kids we need mains for the telly and DVD player.

So, tell me why do I bother with a leisure battery? It doesn't get used on-site, I don't have a motor mover, I may occasionally put the lights on when the van is on the drive at home, when cleaning before we go away etc, but I'm sure I could manage without. And to add to it all, it was replaced 3 months ago at the service because the old one was knackered and the van is only 2 years old. I don't think the previous owner used it much either.

i doubt if ive used mine a total of three ours in 5yrs, but on the two occations we has site wide power cuts, the 12v lights worked a dream and supplied power via an inverter to a tv. As for having to have it changed, im told that not charging it on a regular basis when not in use is as bad as running it flat too often. As your running the fridge as you drive its getting little if any charging time, so charging wont start till your hooked up, and even then, on booard chargers arnt that clever.

in short id say yes, keep it on board, doesnt eat or drink does it.

nigel129

NIGEL129 Hobby 495 Ufe (2003)

Powrtouch HD BP GAS Lite User Toyota Surf 2. 4 Tug,

If the EHU trips the 12v kicks in.

mine does but check on the forum for other users with the same make/model van as your, I think some you may have to manually switch to 12v but my van is german and they seem to cover all the bases.

nigel

A leisure battery does need to be kept regularly cycling to help maintain its condtion, and should typically give about 5 years service.

Although you rely virtually on EHU 100% of the time, and at two years old your van circuitry will allow the 12 volt system to operate from the transformer/charger without a battery in situ, remember that EHU supplies do fail, and usually at the most inconvenient times. Then, without the battery, you are stuck in the dark.

colin your Bailey Pageant has 12 volt lighting which supplied by the mains transformer /charger unit it also trickle charges the battery should you take the battery out of the equation you may put to much demand on the 12volt system .

The battery is there to act as a backup when to much load is put on the system and to supply power when no mains is availble .

p. s i know somebody who did not have a leisure battery fitted and the charger / transformer failed on his 3 year old Elddis and he was left with no water, 12 volt lights or fanmaster working so before you think about doing away with your leisure battery think of the inconvenience if your battery / charger fails and you do not have a battery in line

The Explorer Group saw this as an unrecognised sector of the market and produced a caravan that was 100% 230 volt i. e. no gas or 12V.

It would be interesting to know how sales have been to date.

Bill

Bailey advise that 12volt supply can be used without a battery installed. However, ensure that the terminal connectors cannot touch in the battery box.

how do you do that if theres no battery where do you gey the 12v from, or do you have to leave the car connected ?

nigel

I think the OP was asking if he could use a cheap motor battery rather than a relatively expensive leisure battery. In this case the answer is 'yes'. Don't change it until you have to but when you do, go for the cheapest option. It's better to have a battery of some sort in the van.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that they're not out to get you.

If you have an alarm fitted you may need a battery for that to operate. We have two young kids and quite often go away to CLs without EHU. We have a portable 12v DVD player but play games most of the time.

Swift Challenger 490

Sorento + Fabia to help the Sorento up hills!

how do you do that if theres no battery where do you gey the 12v from, or do you have to leave the car connected ?

nigel

If you are connected to mains then you will get 12v.

Brian

When our battery charger failed and the battery went flat, although we were connected to electricity we couldn't pump water, the booster on the TV ariel didn't work, the 12v lights didn't work the electric flush to the loo didn't work and the fan on the fire didn't work, nor did the lighter to the gas on the hob/oven we had to use matches.

2008 Swift Challenger 540 towed with P reg diesel Discovery

Luckily we have never suffered EHU failure but it's a fair point. I wasn't planning to remove it, having just replaced it I want to get my money's worth. I was just seeking thoughts that's all. I do try an put it on charge at least once a month for a couple of days if we're not away, hopefully this will help extend it's life.

Thanks for the replies.

Cruzer, aka Colin

Growing old is unavoidable, growing up is optional. .. Hyundai Santa Fe & Bailey Pegeant Bretagne.

When our battery charger failed and the battery went flat, although we were connected to electricity we couldn't pump water, the booster on the TV ariel didn't work, the 12v lights didn't work the electric flush to the loo didn't work and the fan on the fire didn't work, nor did the lighter to the gas on the hob/oven we had to use matches.

To get a 12v supply you need to be connected to the mains and the battery charger has to be working.

Brian