Cc Site Bookings

outnumbered

HI ALL

i have taken the plunge and joined the CC, had my first weekend away at clumber park and went to book on line it was full for the weekend i wanted, rang the friday morning and could get a pitch so booked one and of we went. we are going to scotland at the end of june for 2 weeks and the same scenairo its fully booked for the whole of june and july, so should i do the same again ring up on the morning i want to arrive and see what happens.

thanks for your time.

mike

KIA SORENTO KX3 2012 Bailey Pageant Limousin SERIES 7 1700 kg

volvo xc70 D5 se

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's how it works, believe it or not!

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

That's how it works, believe it or not!

thought so and yes i do believe it, so is it worth paying for the cc subs just to have a reduced site pitch fee food for thought i believe. if thats the way the cc booking system works i will have to consider the renewal even tho i have only just joined

thanks

mike

volvo xc70 D5 se

thought so and yes i do believe it, so is it worth paying for the cc subs just to have a reduced site pitch fee food for thought i believe. if thats the way the cc booking system works i will have to consider the renewal even tho i have only just joined

thanks

mike

You are not alone, i know it has been well documented on here, but try booking a week on a site now, all the weekends are block booked, it is a ludicrous situation i am afraid.

Phil.

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

Last year we could not get any bank holidays in.

This year I booked all our hoildays in December after trying for hours to get through that is.

Good luck.

If you try to book online and it shows the site full, ring the site direct and if the warden says that it is full ask to go on the cancellation list, then if anyone cancels the warden will ring you back. It works for me every time!

Regards
Terry Birch
The tourer days are over, we now have an Hobby D500 GESC.

If you try to book online and it shows the site full, ring the site direct and if the warden says that it is full ask to go on the cancellation list, then if anyone cancels the warden will ring you back. It works for me every time!

According to the wardens at Clumber Park - there is no cancellation list. I know i've asked to be put on it for quite a few weekends.

The last time we went to Clumber we'd been told the site was full, by the CC, online and by the wardens) but I kept ringing and managed to get a pitch on Wednesday and we went on Thursday. BUT the site was most definitely not full, there were loads of empty pitches, so don't know why it was classed as full.

According to the wardens at Clumber Park - there is no cancellation list. I know i've asked to be put on it for quite a few weekends.

The last time we went to Clumber we'd been told the site was full, by the CC, online and by the wardens) but I kept ringing and managed to get a pitch on Wednesday and we went on Thursday. BUT the site was most definitely not full, there were loads of empty pitches, so don't know why it was classed as full.

It was almost certainly 'fully booked' BUT a number of selfish so-and-sos couldn't be bothered to cancel and just did not show up! :angry: Which brings up the old hot chestnut again - it is about time that the CC had a 'no show charge' either collected as a deposit or from a credit card number. :o

Discovery 4 XS SDV6 and Airstream 532 plus 1996 MGF owned since new.

I don't know of any site where the wardens have a enough time to keep a cancellation list, they have diffuculty in answering the phone due to other duties.

When I have got through they have always been courteous and sympathised and just said keep trying and on three occassion I have been lucky :rolleyes: and got a last minute cancellation.

These were first thing on a Friday morning's once at York, Twekesbury and Baltic Wharf, first two site I arrived before 20. 00hrs but it was, nearer 22. 00hrs (because traffic hold up on M42 :angry: ) when I arrived at Baltic Wharf, but the warden rang my mobile before they closed and and gave me the pitch number(site does not have a late arrival pitch) and where the toilet key and gate key could be found.

They do a great job, so we should help by penalising those no shows by having a deposit, which if cancellation is made on line or by phone it is held over until next booking, if no cancellation then deposit is transferred into the site involved improvement fund.

The only people to lose out are the no show's :angry:, people who are ill or are caught up in other documented incidents should be able to have deposit held until next booking.

Regards

Brianinhull

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blue '07 X Trail Aventura 2. 2dci, S7 Pageant Provence + Truma MK2 Original Mover, Blue Kampa Rally 390 Awning.

It was almost certainly 'fully booked' BUT a number of selfish so-and-sos couldn't be bothered to cancel and just did not show up! :angry: Which brings up the old hot chestnut again - it is about time that the CC had a 'no show charge' either collected as a deposit or from a credit card number. :o

Not this load of rubbish agian, what evidence do you have that anyone could not be bothered cancelling, or even just did not show up, have you investigated and got an answer from anyone who in an official capacity is in the know. Were the seemingly empty pitches on grass? could it not be that those pitches were being rested for some reason that was unknown to you. What is more what evidence do you have that charging deposits would change anything, the CC say it does not and I prefer to believe them rather than some unsubstantiated and unresearched hearsay.

Edited by Bill Lord

Bill

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.

They do a great job, so we should help by penalising those no shows by having a deposit,

We should be penalising those who actually cause the problems ( if any ) not the whole membership. IMO the club should ( and has said that it is ) cancel the membership of anyone who does not have the manners and common sense to cancel a booking as soon as they know that they can not take it up.

Bill

HI ALL

i have taken the plunge and joined the CC, had my first weekend away at clumber park and went to book on line it was full for the weekend i wanted, rang the friday morning and could get a pitch so booked one and of we went. we are going to scotland at the end of june for 2 weeks and the same scenairo its fully booked for the whole of june and july, so should i do the same again ring up on the morning i want to arrive and see what happens.

thanks for your time.

mike

Which site in Scotland was it? There are one or two up there that are extremely popular and book solid within the first couple of months of bookings. The one that springs to mind is Bunree which I have never been to in the summer months without it being full on every night. Apart from bank holidays there are always pitches available at short notice and shown as such on the CC web site (have a look at the late availability section) on virtually half of all the sites on the network. If you want to go at short notice the best way is to look at that list and pick somewhere rather than go the other way and pick a site that the world and his wife want to go to at weekends and be disappointed.

Bill

Not this load of rubbish agian, what evidence do you have that anyone could not be bothered cancelling, or even just did not show up, have you investigated and got an answer from anyone who in an official capacity is in the know. Were the seemingly empty pitches on grass? could it not be that those pitches were being rested for some reason that was unknown to you. What is more what evidence do you have that charging deposits would change anything, the CC say it does not and I prefer to believe them rather than some unsubstantiated and unresearched hearsay.

Mr Lord you are entitled to your view and I am entitled to mine - I have never ever attacked you in such a vindictive way - so please if you can not be civil then please refrain from playing your 'broken record'. :angry:

Hi,

I asked the warden at the Knaresborough site if it would be a good idea to have a cancellation list and was told that though it's not CC policy they did try it. The problem was that they went through the list, as vacancies came up, to be told by many people that they had either found somewhere else or that they had decided not to bother going away so it was a waste of their time,

regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

:o Bill, ask the wardens, I do and they often say that they get no show's and HQ tell you to ring site as there maybe cancellation or no shows on the day.

I do not no what the percentages is, but when there is more member than pitches its annoying, particularly for younger members (who we need to encourage) that work and only have weekends. Im lucky in that I am retired and can go any time.

Im going to pay the fee anyway, I took the time to cancel a Friday night at Cherry Hinton on line and then rang site to ensure that they knew with it being the day before, why not a penalty if people dont cancel in time.

If you have the evidence that it is load of rubbish then publish the facts. If it shows it a small number then it not going to take much administration and a % of fee would cover admin charges, new computer system should be able to manage it. I have seen hard standing standing free at times and on most site grassed area are taped off by wardens when not in use, 1st weekend of season Wharfdale had grassed areas taped off.

There is no smoke without fire, so put out the fire.

Regards

Brianinhull

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blue '07 X Trail Aventura 2. 2dci, S7 Pageant Provence + Truma MK2 Original Mover, Blue Kampa Rally 390 Awning.

Time to put on my Moderators hat.

Come on guys lets keep this objective, everyone is entiltled to their opinion, everyone is entitled to put an altrernative view, but lets keep a sense of perspective.

Now back to your corners and wait for the bell. .....seconds out round 2

Thank you

GPS

Time to put on my Moderators hat.

Come on guys lets keep this objective, everyone is entiltled to their opinion, everyone is entitled to put an altrernative view, but lets keep a sense of perspective.

Now back to your corners and wait for the bell. .....seconds out round 2

Thank you

GPS

Hi Steve, I thought that what I was doing being reasonable and putting a point of view.

I have tried it another way by posting an opinion poll.

Regards

Brianinhull

Hi Steve, I thought that what I was doing being reasonable and putting a point of view.

I have tried it another way by posting an opinion poll.

Regards

Brianinhull

Hi Brian,

No issues here, PM Sent to you.

GPS

Just to make sure people do not misunderstand me - I think the Caravan Club do a very good job on behalf of us members and their services are normally excellent, their touring sites are are first class and the staff that run them are usually second to none! (There can always be the exception that proves the rule).

BUT - to put a certain perspective on this thread my wife and I have between us 100 years experience in the travel, accommodation and holiday industry and we know from bitter experience that there are people who will abuse a system and that is why just about every firm or club will employ a deposit or credit card system as guarantee against 'no shows' and this includes most touring caravan sites including the Camping and Caravan Club - who incidentally have been around longer than the Caravan Club so one assumes they do know what they are doing.

We have also experienced the situation of not being able to stay on at a site (because the Saturday night was full) only to discover later that in fact at least one pitch was unoccupied because of a 'no show' - and just so that I am not accused of deferring to hearsay - on two occasions last year we moved out to a local CL type site and in the interest of research we went back to check on the situation - one site every one turned up and one had no shows.

Not exactly a scientific survey I admit BUT it does not actually worry us too much as we prefer these days to stay on Adult Only and/or Fully Serviced sites, of which the Caravan Club are not over endowed. We also like some of the 'wilder' sites operated by the C&CC and on top of all that most of our touring is done on the Continent.

Sorry to bore you all BUT I just felt that after the very sharp attack I suffered earlier I should try and put things in perspective as far as I am concerned.

Mr Lord you are entitled to your view and I am entitled to mine - I have never ever attacked you in such a vindictive way - so please if you can not be civil then please refrain from playing your 'broken record'. :angry:

My apologies if you thought that it was a personal attack it was not intended as such. As to playing my broken record ( which is as you term it a direct personal attack ) I would simply assert that the raising of this topic again with the inaccurate and unsubstantiatable claims was a certain way of making sure that the accurate and substantiated statements would be made to refute you.

Bill

My apologies if you thought that it was a personal attack it was not intended as such. As to playing my broken record ( which is as you term it a direct personal attack ) I would simply assert that the raising of this topic again with the inaccurate and unsubstantiatable claims was a certain way of making sure that the accurate and substantiated statements would be made to refute you.

Bill - punch me on the nose and you should be sure I will punch back :P BTW our latest post obviously 'crossed in the post' :rolleyes:

:o Bill, ask the wardens, I do and they often say that they get no show's and HQ tell you to ring site as there maybe cancellation or no shows on the day.

If you have the evidence that it is load of rubbish then publish the facts. Regards

Brianinhull

When I have asked the wardens about no shows they tend to say that they interpret no shows as those who cancel late in the week. As to evidence I have repeatedly pointed people to the only official information on the subject that was published by the CC in their january 2008 magazine, all I got for doing it was to receive a load of abuse and to hear many people preferring to believe hearsay and urban myth rather than believe the only possible informed source. I will however continue to remind people of this information and I will continue to rebut the urban myth and hearsay whenever and wherever they they are made.

Bill

Bill - we were on Bunree for Hogmanay, it has been fully booked for almost 3 months before that date. 3 people cancelled in the 2 days before the 31st, 2 on the 31st (one at 4 pm!!) and 2 didn't cancel but didn't turn up. That isn't "hearsay" we were there when it happened, the wardens were furious as they could have filled the pitches 4 times over. Oh and the roads weren't bad, it was cold but otherwise there was no weather realted reason for not travelling - other people had come from as far as Birmingham, we had driven from east to west coast.

However, it really isn't worth getting into heated discussions about this, some people think it is a problem some don't - that's part of life isn't it.

Edited by JanB

NE Scotland

Unicorn Valencia pulled by Merc E280 cdi sport

the site in question is bunree and it shows on the bookings as full for june july august, we are staying for two weeks at the end of june i have however booked into glen nevis so will try in the week to see if there is a pitch free. thank you to all the made time to respond to my post, thank you all that fell out, and will i NOT be renewing my subscription to the CC.

thanks

mike

volvo xc70 D5 se

Bill - punch me on the nose and you should be sure I will punch back :P BTW our latest post obviously 'crossed in the post' :rolleyes:

At least I had the good grace to apologise for what you perceived to be a personal attack, I do not see any signs of similar contrition in your posts.

Can I give you a concrete example of what could be perceived in one place as a no show but which was well documented in another as something rather different. I set off a fortnight last Thursday with a booking at Tewkesbury for one night and a 9 day booking at Chard, to be followed by a 2 day booking back at Tewkesbury. On the Friday morning as we were due to leave Tewkesbury I was compelled to go and ask the wardens there if they could find me a pitch over the weekend ( this was bank holiday weekend remember ) as my wife was ill ( she has severe menieres disease and this is not an uncommon event for us ) they found us a space ( even though they were full ) and cancelled Chard for us about 3 hours before we could have been expected on Chard site. In the end I booked Tewkesbury though until the date when I had been due to leave there ( last Monday ) and we stayed on the site. having been totally tied to the caravan and the site for a week we decided that the best thing we could do was to simply get home no matter what so on the Thursday I told them we would be leaving on Saturday.

Now thanks to the CC policies it turned a crisis into something that was mildly inconvenient, had we been anywhere else other than CC sites it would have been a very expensive disaster.

Now I am sure that the wardens at Chard would put it down as a no show ( since it was a very late cancellation ) and to the appearance of others on a bank holiday weekend site there would have been an empty space ad no doubt a lot of hearsay and reinforcement of the urban myth. The facts of the matter were something completely different. Now as a couple who have to deal with two different sets of chronic illnesses, and I know of a lot of other caravanning couples who have the same sort of problems, the only organisation which copes with the problems and does not make a drama into a crisis is the CC with its very user friendly policies. As a result I spend over ten weeks every year on their sites knowing that should the worst come to the worst I can alter the bookings to match whatever problem arises, no other system could cope with it, no insurance company would even consider taking us on. Is it any wonder that I get more than a little irritated when people suggest changes to what I and an awful lot of other people see as the best and most considerate of policies possible. The club lose nothing by their policies, by their own written and published statements they get more bookings and less no shows because of it, so it seems to me that everyone is better off by it. The only downside is for a small but vociferous minority of people who have the money available to be able to pay for what they want no matter what seem to think that they are being deprived of their rights simply because the club allow everyone no matter what their financial status or to be fair any other status to be able to book ahead and plan their holidays in the way that they would prefer and then not to demand money when for some reason changes have to be made. It would make little or no difference to me I would still go even if my costs were higher because of it, but I do not and will not ever subscibe to the viewpoint that in someway the charging of deposits or any other financial penalties will have any efects upon the tiny problem of people who genuinely are no shows. For those people the only solution is to cancel their membership and ban them from rejoining, and if some way could be found to let the rest of the members know that x number of members had had their membership cancelled in a particular month for this reason then so much the better.

Bill