Permanent Live To Cigarette Lighter

phutchison

I know it's not Towcar talk but just wondering if there is any help for an electrial question

My wife has a VW Beetle and the cigarette lighter is permanent live. I have bought a bluetooth for the mobile which plugs directly into the cigarette lighter (brill piece of kit by the way) found a website that has them reduced by 50% from £58 to £29 http://www. mobilefun. co. uk/nokia-hf-6w-p6604. htm . Really good quality.

Anyway, back to the question, as hers is a permanent live, whenever the car is turned off, she has to remember to switch off the bluetooth as it will remain connected to the phone (within range) and permanently on. I have bought one as well for the Sorento, and when the ignition is switched off, the bluetooth obviously switches off. When I get back into the car, it switches on and automatically connects to the phone.

I was planning on changing the permanent live to a switched one and was wondering if this is an easy job!

Cheers and thanks

Paul

Kia Sorento KX3 towing Bailey Unicorn Barcelona 2011

yeah its easy.

take the permanent feed and wire it into a 12v relay then take a piece of wire (same size csa as the in)and come out of the relay to the cigarette lighter and control the relay by the 12 v ignition wire and a suitable earth (body work)

ignition on relay on cigarette lighter on

ignition off relay off cigarette lighter off.

if you pop into a car spares and ask for a 30a relay. it only has 4 terminals. 2 for the feed in /out and 2 for the relay coil. the relay terminals are numbered, if you need to know what no. goes where let me know and ill check mine.

regards

matt

Edited by matt-the-dj

***** old tow car + ***** old caravan!. .....new tow car in eight weeks.

Most automotive relays have 5 terminals as they provide for a "break" option when the relay is activated.

i know that, but if you only need 4 terminals why buy one with the extra

***** old tow car + ***** old caravan!. .....new tow car in eight weeks.

Anyway, back to the question, as hers is a permanent live, whenever the car is turned off, she has to remember to switch off the bluetooth as it will remain connected to the phone (within range) and permanently on. I have bought one as well for the Sorento, and when the ignition is switched off, the bluetooth obviously switches off. When I get back into the car, it switches on and automatically connects to the phone.

I was planning on changing the permanent live to a switched one and was wondering if this is an easy job!

Cheers and thanks

Paul

It may be worth checking the fusebox. If the c/lighter has it's own fuse pull it and check which terminal in the box is live. The other terminal will be to the c/lighter. If there are a spare fuse sockets in the box find out if one is ignition switched. If so, make a suitable fused link wire with blade terminals at each end to bridge the original c/lighter connection to the ignition connection.

I wanted the opposite on my car where the three accessory sockets (not c/lighter) are ignition switched. I removed the relay from the fuse box and linked the appropriate connections in the relay holder to provide a permanent supply. The relay holder is fused separately.

Edited by beejay

Regards

SuperMike

together with

Management and Lady Faith Finesse, who is a Black & Tan Cavalier KCS - Gorgeous Girl, and my wife is as well.

Sedona 2. 9TDi - Swift Conqueror 645 LUX

CAVALIERS ARE LIKE SUNSHINE, THEY BRIGHTEN UP YOUR DAY.

Odd how some manufacturers think lighter sockets need to be live all the time and others do not. The obvious solution would be for manufacturers to make either an easy option for the owner to select themselves.

An easy way to make the socket switch off, would be by using a split charge voltage sensing relay. Just insert the relay inline with the feed to the socket and when the engine is not running, it will cut the supply off.

Bailey Pageant Monarch Series 5 2004

Odd how some manufacturers think lighter sockets need to be live all the time and others do not. The obvious solution would be for manufacturers to make either an easy option for the owner to select themselves.

An easy way to make the socket switch off, would be by using a split charge voltage sensing relay. Just insert the relay inline with the feed to the socket and when the engine is not running, it will cut the supply off.

Yes excellent, but how about this again . .... http://www. maplin. co. uk/Module. aspx?ModuleNo=228375

Unless I've missed something, it ticks all the boxes. :D

Regards

SuperMike

together with

Management and Lady Faith Finesse, who is a Black & Tan Cavalier KCS - Gorgeous Girl, and my wife is as well.

Yes excellent, but how about this again . .... http://www. maplin. co. uk/Module. aspx?ModuleNo=228375

Unless I've missed something, it ticks all the boxes. :D

Hi Mike,

you missed one little thing

Works in 12V/24V sockets to deliver 5V output

I guess that rules it out.

Stev

Hi Mike,

you missed one little thing

I guess that rules it out.

Stev

Ah, it finishes in a USB socket. Well spotted, of course I new that all the time, just checking if you were all awake, which clearly I was not. :D

Still a good bit of kit in the right circumstances.

Ok, back to bed. :ph34r:

Regards

SuperMike

together with

Ah, it finishes in a USB socket. Well spotted, of course I new that all the time, just checking if you were all awake, which clearly I was not. :D

Still a good bit of kit in the right circumstances.

Ok, back to bed. :ph34r:

Night, Night (and woof to the lady from my two CKCS's)