Toilet Cassette

nigel129

I intend to bring the "boom box" home for a dam good clean as its only ever had a realy good rinse out before leaving for home. éoes anyone have any ideas on wether to fil it with some kind of propriety cleaner (bleach, disinfectant etc) brand names would be helpful. How long to leave soak and can i leave a splash of somthing sweet smelling in it b4 putting back in the van.

The other thing im looking at is the condition of any rubber seals and moving parts. Any suggestions for lubrication, feeding the rubber etc.

thanks

nigel

PS a list of DONT DOs is allways helpful.

NIGEL129 Hobby 495 Ufe (2003)

Powrtouch HD BP GAS Lite User Toyota Surf 2. 4 Tug,

My "Boom box" is in an as new condition despite many years of use. I only ever use Elsan Blue in it and the pink flushing additive from Thetford. I think the most important single factor in maintaining cleanliness and lack of odour is plentiful rinsing every time you empty. Many is the time I have witnessed users just empty the tank and walk away.

As for the seals, either a spray or a wipe with silicon spray is all I do.

does WD40 count as silicon spray, come to that, would awning rail lube act as a long term lube and protetor. Its allways flushed repeatedly after every use and a 20 min flush b4 storing away, im just looking to the future and giving a few things in the van an overhaul.

thanks

nigel

does WD40 count as silicon spray, come to that, would awning rail lube act as a long term lube and protetor. Its allways flushed repeatedly after every use and a 20 min flush b4 storing away, im just looking to the future and giving a few things in the van an overhaul.

thanks

nigel

WD40 is, basically, paraffin based. Thetford recommend their own brand spray which is silicone so any silcone spray should suitable. I've used non Thetford silicone sprays for years without problems. With the 400 series the valve assembly lifts off making access to the interior easy. I always strip mine down after each trip, it's surprising how much limescale builds up after a short while.

Edited by beejay

WD40 is, basically, paraffin based. Thetford recommend their own brand spray which is silicone so any silcone spray should suitable. I've used non Thetford silicone sprays for years without problems. With the 400 series the valve assembly lifts off making access to the interior easy. I always strip mine down after each trip, it's surprising how much limescale builds up after a short while.

hi beej

exactly my reason for wanting to give it a good clean, we spend a lot of time in somerset and we all know how hard their wateris. im also looking to prevent any perishing of seals and just keep any moving parts moving. Off to B&Q for silicon then, shame, got half a dozen cans of WD40 lying about.

cheers

nigel

My "Boom box" is in an as new condition despite many years of use. I only ever use Elsan Blue in it and the pink flushing additive from Thetford. I think the most important single factor in maintaining cleanliness and lack of odour is plentiful rinsing every time you empty. Many is the time I have witnessed users just empty the tank and walk away.

As for the seals, either a spray or a wipe with silicon spray is all I do.

I can echo the above, other than not using Elsan Blue (its costituents are of concern), I use Thetfords own Pink and Blue.

Tip, when you have rinsed the WasteMaster prior to putting it away, add a splash of Thetford Pink and rinse round, leave it in and the WasteMaster stays smelling sweet until the next time you use it.

Steve

Nigel

Perhaps this site may be of help:

http://www. thetford-europe. com/web/show/id=82106/langid=42

Steve

cheers steve, just the tickets, though they do like to push their own products, any suggestions for substitutes as nearest van shop some miles away, and bet their stuff is twice the price on an alternative. MARKED the comment on NOT using vaseline as this crossed my mind as a possible lube.

thanks

nigel

Guest Tephi

Nigel

All companies recommend their own products, they’d be silly not to.

As your "boom box” is out of warranty, I don’t suppose it matters too much what you use within reason.

Steve

Use Thetford tank cleaner (specially formulated for toilet cassettes). Just follow the instructions on the bottle, it works a treat.

We clean our tank every year to keep it in tip-top condition.

Use Thetford silicon spray on the seal and blade if necessary.

Yossa

2007 Mondeo 2. 2 TDCi & 2003 Bailey Pageant Bordeaux

We do have the top of of the waste container and change the rubber seal

-- you can get them from most caravan shops

-- easy to do just take your time

-- and when you have the seal ring out you can the get inside and give it a good clean

-- especially around the magnet and moving parts --

We use Olive oil poured on to the blade for lubrication and when we lay up for the end of the season --

Maurice

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold 😥) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club

-- and when you have the seal ring out you can the get inside and give it a good clean

-- especially around the magnet and moving parts --

We use Olive oil poured on to the blade for lubrication and when we lay up for the end of the season --

Maurice

Who would want to 'get inside' to give it a good clean when you can use Thetford's tank cleaner?

Yossa

Who would want to 'get inside' to give it a good clean when you can use Thetford's tank cleaner?

Yossa

Well if you have been using the wrong tissue --- [ a big debate about this previously] and the tissue hasn't degraded -- what happens it forms around the protruding parts like solid pappier-mache and successfully glues the moving parts together and bungs them up.

It is easier when you have got the seal ring and seal off to get in with a sharp instrument and get it off. .

Thetford tank cleaner will not touch the pappier-mache deposits. .. :angry:

we had to get a new tank one year cost about £70. . :huh:

So I make sure I clean the tank out -- and only use Thetford tissue. . cheaper in the long run than a new tank. .

Maurice

Well if you have been using the wrong tissue --- [ a big debate about this previously] and the tissue hasn't degraded -- what happens it forms around the protruding parts like solid pappier-mache and successfully glues the moving parts together and bungs them up.

It is easier when you have got the seal ring and seal off to get in with a sharp instrument and get it off. .

Thetford tank cleaner will not touch the pappier-mache deposits. .. :angry:

we had to get a new tank one year cost about £70. . :huh:

So I make sure I clean the tank out -- and only use Thetford tissue. . cheaper in the long run than a new tank. .

Maurice

We use the one sponsored by a puppy, and have never had to scrape the paper off the inside.

If the cassette is emptied and then part filled with water and given a good sloshing round, everything is dislodged and there is no problem.

Steve

Without wishing to delve too deeply into the insides of what is to put it crudely a box of rubbish, I think that just as members have differing uses for their van and differing choices of sites the state of the inside of said box will depend on use. Some people reserve their onboard facilities for emergencies only, others, like myself rely on them for all day, every day use. As I posted earlier my little grey box with yellow trimmings is still as fresh as a daisy. It is emptied daily whilst on site, always travels charged ready for use and is never left empty. If used on the trip home I empty it down the manhole in the garden and then recharge it ready for next trip, even if that may be weeks away. It is just one of those things that I'm particular about {I remember scouting days and digging a pit}. Apart from very frequent rinsing I've never felt the need to take it apart to view the inside. The Boss' nose would very soon tell me if it wasn't perfectly clean and hygenic. :(

I can echo the above, other than not using Elsan Blue (its costituents are of concern), I use Thetfords own Pink and Blue.

Tip, when you have rinsed the WasteMaster prior to putting it away, add a splash of Thetford Pink and rinse round, leave it in and the WasteMaster stays smelling sweet until the next time you use it.

Steve

I drain down my pink flushing water into my wastemaster (usually about a pint) and leave it until the next trip. ... no smells.

Jeff

We use the one sponsored by a puppy, and have never had to scrape the paper off the inside.

If the cassette is emptied and then part filled with water and given a good sloshing round, everything is dislodged and there is no problem.

Steve

Giving the cassette a good clean out as described above is essential and we have never had a problem either.

Yossa

Giving the cassette a good clean out as described above is essential and we have never had a problem either.

Yossa

How do you know that the crud isn't building up on the underside of the blade lever - and the magnet housing ??

-- ours did :o

-- and we only found out when we went to change the seal as it was leaking around the seal joint :angry:

-- when taking the cassette to be emptied.

-- and doing the normal washing and sloshing. .

You cannot see it unless you take the sealing ring off :huh:

Nearly 1/2" of solid pink pappier-mache which we hacked off with a sharp knife. .

eventually we ended up having to get a new cassette :angry:

Maurice