Changed My Hagar Switch

bmd

I got my new switch today, and I fitted it with no problems. Only trouble is when I put my kettle on, to check if it was working ok,I can hear the electricity fizzing through the switch. Thats the best way I can describe it. You wouldn't normally hear it,with it being under the seat,but I would be worried if it was going to burn out. Do you get noisy switches at all? The switch is a 10amp double pole mcb. It is really inconvienant, as I was wanting to get it fixed, and take it back to the storage yard. Now it looks as if I will have it another week, sitting outside the house. The caravan shop only got the one switch in. I would appreciate your advice again. Thanks . Brian.

Hi Brian,

It's quite rare (imo) to find faulty mcb's but having said that, they should be silent. Try turning it on and off several times and see if this makes a difference. It's a bit of a long shot, I admit, otherwise I'd replace it. These mcb's are a standard din rail fitting so you don't have to fit a Hager though double pole mcb's aren't easy to find in the UK

I got my new switch today, and I fitted it with no problems. Only trouble is when I put my kettle on, to check if it was working ok,I can hear the electricity fizzing through the switch. Thats the best way I can describe it. You wouldn't normally hear it,with it being under the seat,but I would be worried if it was going to burn out. Do you get noisy switches at all? The switch is a 10amp double pole mcb. It is really inconvienant, as I was wanting to get it fixed, and take it back to the storage yard. Now it looks as if I will have it another week, sitting outside the house. The caravan shop only got the one switch in. I would appreciate your advice again. Thanks . Brian.

If its buzzing you have 3 possibility's either you are overloading it,or there is a loose connection or the switch is faulty.

If you are only using a kettle I doubt if its overloaded, switch off power & check the connections to the switch, & examine for any sign of heating up.

These mcb's are a standard din rail fitting so you don't have to fit a Hager though double pole mcb's aren't easy to find in the UK

Are these double pole, two module or double pole, single module? I have a selection of both if anybody needs one.

If its buzzing you have 3 possibility's either you are overloading it,or there is a loose connection or the switch is faulty.

If you are only using a kettle I doubt if its overloaded, switch off power & check the connections to the switch, & examine for any sign of heating up.

I would imagine the switch itself is faulty, as the connections are tight enough. You don't hear anything until you turn something on, whether it's a kettle, heater or lamp. I cant detect any heat, or smell of burning either. I let it run for a while, as I was watching it carefully, just incase.

Are these double pole, two module or double pole, single module? I have a selection of both if anybody needs one.

The one I have is a double pole 10 amp mcb, double module. As far as I know, I should be getting a replacement later on in the week. If I have a problem getting it, maybe I can get in touch with you, and sort something out. Thanks. Brian.

I got the replacement switch yesterday, and I fitted it today. Works perfectly, what a relief, I was begining to think I was not going to get it fixed. Thanks everyone for their info. Brian