Possible Dodgy Toaster

mack100

We are staying at the CC Longleat site at the moment (can someone please send the sun!). This morning we had a "tripping out moment".

We were running the fridge and water heater only but as soon as we plugged in the so called camping toaster the RCD tripped and the EHU tripped, MCB's unaffected.

When the EHU and van RCD were reset everything functioned OK, the RCD tester button worked OK.

When the toaster was plugged in to test it nothing wrong happened but I am doubtful about the electrical quality of the toaster as it only draws 650W.

Be grateful for any views.

Now a Swift motorhome owner.

Running the fridge and hot water heater will draw a lot, especially the water heater. Its akin to running a decent wattage kettle.

So my thinking is you have just tripped out due to too much load at that time, possible someone else running a load too.

Happens often on sites when im there as people think electrickery is never ending and they can plug anything in, switch everything on and all is fine and dandy.

Turn the water heater off and try it, should be ok.

In Consilio Sapienta

tn_gallery_1122_263_6791.jpg

Lenny - the OP says the van's RCD tripped so it is purely his/her load - to me it sounds more like an earth or wiring fault - get it professionally checked.

Discovery 4 XS SDV6 and Airstream 532 plus 1996 MGF owned since new.

Hi Mack,

I am a qualified Portable Appliance Tester and I used to test appliances which had appparently tripped the power with very few faults found. I would have thought that if the toaster was faulty that you could replicate the power trip though, as always, if you are concerned I would have it checked,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Lenny - the OP says the van's RCD tripped so it is purely his/her load - to me it sounds more like an earth or wiring fault - get it professionally checked.

Ye sorry Ted i sort of skirted over that bit.

In Consilio Sapienta

tn_gallery_1122_263_6791.jpg

In my van the fridge, water heater and sockets are all on separate feeds so I would guess that adding the toaster was what caused the trip. At least if there's a fault it should trip again, but worth getting it checked by a professional. Maybe there was just too much demand on the site supply at that time.