Damp Meter

Guest Surfer

Guest Surfer

Can any one recommend a damp meter that is very effective but does not costs a fortunre? I do not trust my dealer's technicians.

Unless you use exactly the same equipment as they use you will not be able to make any comparisons with their findings.

If you are that distrusting, buy a Protimeter.

Unless you use exactly the same equipment as they use you will not be able to make any comparisons with their findings.

concur with that, i bought the protimeter mini expensive yes but also accurate and a good bit of kit i check my own van every 3 months on top of annual service by dealer

concur with that, i bought the protimeter mini expensive yes but also accurate and a good bit of kit i check my own van every 3 months on top of annual service by dealer

Me too. The only way. :)

Regards

SuperMike

together with

Management and Lady Faith Finesse, who is a Black & Tan Cavalier KCS - Gorgeous Girl, and my wife is as well.

Sedona 2. 9TDi - Swift Conqueror 645 LUX

CAVALIERS ARE LIKE SUNSHINE, THEY BRIGHTEN UP YOUR DAY.

The Protimeter that your dealer uses will be around the £200-00 + mark.

Dont expect one from Aldi etc to do the job.

Regards
Terry Birch
The tourer days are over, we now have an Hobby D500 GESC.

I'd change my dealer, in fact I did, means a 30 odd mile round trip but worth it. I wouldn't get a caravan or car serviced where I bought it, personal choice.

Edited by lil_me

Can any one recommend a damp meter that is very effective but does not costs a fortune? I do not trust my dealer's technicians.

B&Q Meter for me too, - damp is a relative thing, I know what a small amount of condensation sounds like on my B&Q damp meter, I also know what a wet finger sounds like, if you try it on a soggy bit of cardboard, you will also know what that sounds like. so when you check the caravan for damp you have something to compare it with.

I have just used it to check out some second hand caravans for our daughter, my reference point was bone dry and any caravan that was not bone dry was dismissed. We have found a 2002 Abbey which is an absolute cracker.

If you check your caravan now and it is dry, then any further changes in reading/tone will indicate damp, which as far as I am concerned is all I would want to know before calling in the dealer to confirm, prior to making a claim on my ingress warranty.

If you have a spare £200 then a Protimeter does the job, if you are restricted to £20 then the B&Q meter is OK.

Steve

The Protimeter that your dealer uses will be around the £200-00 + mark.

Dont expect one from Aldi etc to do the job.

Depends what job you want it to do. I'm more than happy with the one I bought from Aldi, and I think its merits/demerits have been discussed in another thread.

I've tested it on damp areas on outside walls and known dry areas. Easy reading, it lets you know if a problem requires further investigation. I don't know if the readings are percentages or not, but they are relative to known damp and dry areas.

Gordon

Nissan Qashqai 1. 6 dCi (130 PS) + Avondale Rialto 390-2

I also have the protimeter they are the bees knees in damp meters.

CHEERS DAZKIM

I also have the protimeter they are the bees knees in damp meters.

CHEERS DAZKIM

Paid about £40 from Ebay for my fairly old Protimeter - works a treat.

Mike

• 3 years later...

When you say trust I have worked in Main dealers car garages and if say a technician sees an oil leak from a driveshaft seal and it's difficult to repair he or she might just wipe the leaking oil off as he / she knows they might get instructed to repair leak, and how do you know who is going to service your caravan once it's in the workshop I can assure you whoever owns a business you would be nieve to think every body works to a high standard as you would wish them too whatever the Companies reputation

Tony A.

B&Q Meter for me too, - damp is a relative thing, I know what a small amount of condensation sounds like on my B&Q damp meter, I also know what a wet finger sounds like, if you try it on a soggy bit of cardboard, you will also know what that sounds like. so when you check the caravan for damp you have something to compare it with.

If you check your caravan now and it is dry, then any further changes in reading/tone will indicate damp, which as far as I am concerned is all I would want to know before calling in the dealer to confirm, prior to making a claim on my ingress warranty.

Yep. I use a £30 one from a caravan shop.

It won't measure the water density on the moon but it definitely reads as per the leaflet on a multitude of materials at varying levels of dampness.

I experimented and all the readings were about right.

It's like comparing some cheapo-budget cooking scales to some digi-lab scales. Both will give you roughly the same reading, but just depends to what accuracy you want.

X-trail and our wonderful Coachman Amara 450/2 Bailey Senator Wyoming palace!

Are you saying that the one I have just bought off ebay for a fiver and guaranteed accurate to

1% is no good!! :angry:

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white