Awnings

kickstartthedog

hi all, now into my 3rd year of draggin the shed and love it. however. as the van is only about 14' we need to use the awning all the time. are there any hints out there on best way to erect it as this always seems to be a bit difficult to get right. i find myself having to adjust it most days to get it just right and never seem to get it the same twice. any hints-shortcuts appreciated. thanx. d

We found it easy to put up the awning as we numbered the poles with a bit of tape. Upon arriving it is so easy once the poles are out of the bag to insert them by number order. Hope this helps. ..

bobsnobs

It took us 2 hours yesterday to put up our porch awning for the 1st time. I hope it can be done quicker than this.

Took me that long the first time I did ours. ..and added a dent to the side panel of the van when I got a bit ratty with one of the poles.

Second time it took 30mins. Third time under 20mins. Cant wait to go away again to see if I can improve.

I've always found that the first time putting up a new awning takes the longest, but it soon gets quicker. And the first time each season also takes a bit longer. It's all about familiarity. Whichever awning I use (full, porch or quick-erect) the fit is always better if I'm on a flat pitch and putting it up without any breeze.

A tip for taking it down: if on any occasion you have no alternative but to take it down when it is very windy (which I've had to do sometimes on a cliff top in Norfolk with the wind coming in off the North Sea), leave it pegged out while you take down the frame from the inside. Then you can hold the canvas against the side of the van while you unpeg, and finally slide it off the channel.

Jonathan.

2004 Swift Challenger 550 SLE

there is no easy way, its a device spawned in hell by a scorned woman who went on to advise every woman to fill the van (making it twice as heavy) with unnecessary furniture and equipment to fill the demon awning. Then it was cursed by the "lets put it up when its windy"hex so that you can really get fustrated and spend the rest of the holiday worring its up well enough not to blow down and smash the window of your car.

(no sexism intended)

nigel

NIGEL129 Hobby 495 Ufe (2003)

Powrtouch HD BP GAS Lite User Toyota Surf 2. 4 Tug,

Mark your poles with different colour insulating tape. Red - left, Green - Centre and so on.

Always put your middle poles up first to take most of the weight.

Left, then right sides - hooks in against the van.

Swing each side fwd then lonk to the centre. ..

Hope that makes sense? :)

<p><span style="font-family:'Arial Black';">1995 Mk2 Pajero LWB 2. 8td - <strike>'04 Dart 556/6 - '</strike></span><span style="font-family:'Arial Black';"><strike>02 Sterling Elite Searcher</strike> - '07 Senator Wyoming S5 TA & 1997 ABI Award Northstar</span>

It took us 2 hours yesterday to put up our porch awning for the 1st time. I hope it can be done quicker than this.

2 hours? crickey how many bottle's did you sup :D

Range Rover Sport 2014

Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril

Mark your poles with different colour insulating tape. Red - left, Green - Centre and so on.

Always put your middle poles up first to take most of the weight.

Left, then right sides - hooks in against the van.

Swing each side fwd then lonk to the centre. ..

Hope that makes sense? :)

as said middle poles first & then get SWMBO to hold this pole while you get the other into place (it also keeps her out of the way :rolleyes: while she thinks she's helpin :D )

Range Rover Sport 2014

Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril