Discovery 3 Hse 2006 - 15000 Miles

Adi

Question is should I or shouldn`t I

If I do I will have a multi height towbar for my caravan and Maxraxx Bike rack

Presently drive a Freelander 2 Manual but Discovery will be automatic

Your thoughts. ..

Freelander 2 best towcar I have had yet, last towcar was a TD5 that was great but Freelander 2 in a different league. I was tempted to go for a Disco 3 but the oher half did not want an Auto and we were advised by may not to have a manual Disco 3, three of the garages I visited no longer would put a manual Disco 3 on the forecourt and one was a Landrover Dealership. Dual Mass Flywheel problems. , so Freelander 2 was purchased.

Hi Adi,

I tow with a Disco 3 and I'm very pleased with it, mines a manual but I did look at a few autos when I was shopping around, Great tow vehicle and getting 23 mpg towing

Cheers Paul

Discovery 3 SE, Bailey Senator Carolina.

I drive an Auto ML

Once you have driven an auto you will wonder why you ever bothered with gears.

I like the Disco its grown on me (at least in a good spec. ..)

I also liked my TD4 Freelander to be honest I had in 2003, that was a sport premium model with a 'power box' towed very well and no issues. The new one however is much more like a mini range rover.

Saying that the new facelifted Disco is going to address the inside quite a lot and looks far more Range Rover like :)

I drive an Auto ML

Nice choice, but I would say that wouldn't I? ;)

Small world!!

2007 Mercedes ML63 AMG | 2008 ACE Supreme Globestar

Freelander 2 best towcar I have had yet, last towcar was a TD5 that was great but Freelander 2 in a different league. I was tempted to go for a Disco 3 but the oher half did not want an Auto and we were advised by may not to have a manual Disco 3, three of the garages I visited no longer would put a manual Disco 3 on the forecourt and one was a Landrover Dealership. Dual Mass Flywheel problems. , so Freelander 2 was purchased.

My Freelander is great but before buying a caravan weighing in at just under 1. 5 ton I drove a vauxhall zafira Diesel 150 CDTI

The apparent thing as many have said is you start with a caravan and just keep finind stuff - ie Awning, annexe etc. ..

The freelander boot is just not big enough - I`m also impressed by the air suspension and self levelling etc although of course more to go wrong

I also feel I should have bought an Auto. ....

Nice choice, but I would say that wouldn't I? ;)

Small world!!

I'm another ML tugger. :D

My mate has a Discovery 3 and has issues with it. The headrest is integrated into the seat and cannot be adjusted, he also has a piece of pipe lagging covering the door handle where it rubs against his knee - but he is six feet four tall!

Automatic towing is the way to go, and I speak as one with 20 years of manual towing behind me - if only I could have that time over again . . ;)

Cheers

Keith

Edited by rslsys

I Have a 56 plate (07MY) HSE after having a 200TDi, 300TDi and TD5. All I can say is that I have no desire to ever tow with anything else! It's not that the car is the best in the world (Although to me it is!) but just that everything is so right with it - even down to the built in fridge, active headlights, suspension (air and adjustable), auto box (don't get a manual!) space and light internally, seven adult seats (very comfortable, even for my rather portly frame!)etc. By far the best discovery ever built. We tried an X5, XC90 and Toureg (VW) before settling on this one - each had virtues (X5 better drivers car, VW more power, XC90 cheaper), but the disco was the best compromise for everything. I agree the FL2 is superb though!

I use the standard detachable towbar which has proved fine but the multi height towbar seems popular (ugly, but popular!).

Take a look at www. disco3. co. uk for enthusiasts comments (good bad and ugly!)

Martin W

Discovery D3 HSE + Coachman VIP 575/4 2016

www.pennplanning.co.uk

I Have a 56 plate (07MY) HSE after having a 200TDi, 300TDi and TD5. All I can say is that I have no desire to ever tow with anything else! It's not that the car is the best in the world (Although to me it is!) but just that everything is so right with it - even down to the built in fridge, active headlights, suspension (air and adjustable), auto box (don't get a manual!) space and light internally, seven adult seats (very comfortable, even for my rather portly frame!)etc. By far the best discovery ever built. We tried an X5, XC90 and Toureg (VW) before settling on this one - each had virtues (X5 better drivers car, VW more power, XC90 cheaper), but the disco was the best compromise for everything. I agree the FL2 is superb though!

I use the standard detachable towbar which has proved fine but the multi height towbar seems popular (ugly, but popular!).

Take a look at www. disco3. co. uk for enthusiasts comments (good bad and ugly!)

Martin W

I have spoken to a few disco owners at my caravan storage, and they were saying the new disco is slow, especially when towing, is this the case? These comments so far have put me off Land Rover vehicles but the weight ratio would make it a great tow vehicle if it has the power to get going!!

I have spoken to a few disco owners at my caravan storage, and they were saying the new disco is slow, especially when towing, is this the case? These comments so far have put me off Land Rover vehicles but the weight ratio would make it a great tow vehicle if it has the power to get going!!

Slow?

SLOW???

I think they're having a laugh, the D3 is as rapid a 4x4 towing machine as you want.

I wish my Shogun Sport was in the same league and mines chipped!!!

In Consilio Sapienta

tn_gallery_1122_263_6791.jpg

Having had 3 Disco 3's 1 manual and 2 auto's and now on a FL2 auto my advice would be;

1. Buy an auto, clutch and electric handbrake release are a nightmare doing hill starts.

2. Check the air suspension works properly.

3. Make sure you are covered by a warranty for at least 12 months (if not a LR used approved vehicle)

4. Get the multi height tow bar If not already fitted with the standard fixed hitch, I found the detachable swan neck one wasn't at the right height to keep my trailer and caravan level.

Edited cos I can't type or spell

Edited by Mickyblueyes

Slow?

SLOW???

I think they're having a laugh, the D3 is as rapid a 4x4 towing machine as you want.

I wish my Shogun Sport was in the same league and mines chipped!!!

And it will be better with the 3. 0 due out at the end of summer.

Yep slow!

Sorry, but absolutely not!!!! Mine is very rapid indeed - tows 1. 7 Tonnes and suprises many cars trying to overtake up hill :D

The answer is IT IS NOT SLOW (no apologies for shouting :rolleyes: ). What car do you drive twin axle?

Martin W

www.pennplanning.co.uk

Sorry, but absolutely not!!!! Mine is very rapid indeed - tows 1. 7 Tonnes and suprises many cars trying to overtake up hill :D

The answer is IT IS NOT SLOW (no apologies for shouting :rolleyes: ). What car do you drive twin axle?

Martin W

Lol shoutings ok, I suppose it just shows your passionate about your topic. I think what they were saying when they gave the feedback was that in moving to a 4 x 4 from a large saloon, they now perceived the outfit to be slow. I guess if you compare another 4 x 4 to another then the Disco might be fastest of the lot, but i wouldnt expect it to be the most rapid outfit on the roads, given its pulling its own 2. 7tonnes then 1. 8t extra for the van plus people etc etc. Just putting the figures into whattowcar. com show that getting to 60mph for the disco with a large van will be over 20seconds, compared to a powerful saloon car depending which engine you go for can be under 10seconds for the outfit to get to 60mph.

Although I am still looking at a new towcar and a Range Rover and Disco are still on the list, I dont want to be considerably slower than I am at the moment. I suppose something like an Audi A8 Diesel would be best all round for me it would give 4 x 4 traction, is over 2tonnes itself so good tow ratio, would give good fuel economy, and would get to 60 in good time, well whatowcar says it would take 11 seconds to 62 so thats not bad. ...........................obviously wouldnt be doing that too regularly.

Although a disco has 7 seats and that would be very usefull. ...I think a test drive will be required. ...

. Just putting the figures into whattowcar. com show that getting to 60mph for the disco with a large van will be over 20seconds, compared to a powerful saloon car depending which engine you go for can be under 10seconds for the outfit to get to 60mph.

I suppose something like an Audi A8 Diesel would be best all round for me it would give 4 x 4 traction, is over 2tonnes itself so good tow ratio, would give good fuel economy, and would get to 60 in good time, well whatowcar says it would take 11 seconds to 62 so thats not bad. ...........................obviously wouldnt be doing that too regularly.

You fail to mention what 0-60 the Audi will do with 1800 kgs of twin axle on the back?

As you say test drive the Disco.

Dont get me wrong, im not a Disco nut, but i drive my bosses and every single time it just accelerates on and on and on.

And ive seen a D3 with 2000kgs of van on it out accelerate a TD5 Disco.

In Consilio Sapienta

You fail to mention what 0-60 the Audi will do with 1800 kgs of twin axle on the back?

As you say test drive the Disco.

Dont get me wrong, im not a Disco nut, but i drive my bosses and every single time it just accelerates on and on and on.

And ive seen a D3 with 2000kgs of van on it out accelerate a TD5 Disco.

I did, the Audi with the twin axle van would get to 62mph in 11 seconds

Now to be fair thats pretty rapid with a van on.

But your not going to be accelerating like that all the time, though its nice to know its there if needed. :lol:

In Consilio Sapienta

Fair play to you mate :D

I bet that turns a few heads! Love to see the boy racers faces in their 1. 2 Corsa's with that next to them :rolleyes:

Martin W

www.pennplanning.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...