Sattelite Dish Help

Hi have just purchased a maxiview sat dish and tripod, managed to get all built ok, however have aproblem need help. I have sky + at home do not want to take box everytime we go away in the caravan, want a seperate sky box and viewing card, can purchase a box from ebay not a problem but if i do not use a sky card it will only pick up the free to view channels, more or less the same as my avtex tv so sat dish would be a waste of time, can I get a second sky card to use in the box to watch all that I would have at home, spoke to sky they are useless saying i need a new account another subscription cant be right, help please

Nissan Terrano II 2. 7 Tdi and 2010 Bailey Pegasus 624

Hi

As I understand it you need to take your sky box with you if you want the full service. the card is registered to the box.

Scales

how easy is it to upgrade the LNB the sat dish only has 1 cable and sky + needs 2, would that also be the reason why when I set it up at home i caould not get any signal, i found the satellite but as i only had one cable plugged in not 2 no picture was received, sorry to be blunt but i am not used to all this technical stuff being a novice

If you can get hold of an old Sky box all you have to do is pay £20 I think (maybe £25) for a one off free view card which gives you access to all the free chanels - the number for FreeSat from Sky is 0844 8244 400.

If you can get a box with the Skycard still in it then that also will give you access to the free chanels. Originally only the card issued and registered to the Skybox could be used with that box but now - so far as I am aware - you can transfer any card to any box so you should find that the card you have with your home box might activate the programes in a box you obtain for the caravan - but take care if you are still under contract with Sky - would suggest you don't attempt this until you are out of contract.

In any event £ 20 for a permanent viewing card isn't expensive and I have bought a number of old (some, not so old) Skyboxes from car boot sales for £5 all of which have worked and still going strong.

Hi have just purchased a maxiview sat dish and tripod, managed to get all built ok, however have aproblem need help. I have sky + at home do not want to take box everytime we go away in the caravan, want a seperate sky box and viewing card, can purchase a box from ebay not a problem but if i do not use a sky card it will only pick up the free to view channels, more or less the same as my avtex tv so sat dish would be a waste of time, can I get a second sky card to use in the box to watch all that I would have at home, spoke to sky they are useless saying i need a new account another subscription cant be right, help please

David Sullivan has an excellent website dedicated to mobile sky you can get to it From Here

To receive subscription channels the card MUST be 'married' to the box. i. e you need to take it with you.

You can take your card but you'll only get Free To View (FTV) channels - which I do. You can pay for a freesta card but that only gets FTV anyway.

The only benefit to that is when you get to the site and you forget your card!! Which I've done many a time. .

as far as multiroom goes, any additional subscription box has to be connected to a phone line. Sky send random check pulses down the line to check that that card is in that box. failure toregister will cut it off - although they tend to send a letter first!

These controls are in place so that you dont take out multiroom for a tenner then pass on to someone else i. e a family member.

So take your box on a temporary basis or do with FTV channels.

For sky+ youll need a Quad LNB and Twin Core, best off with a minidish than the Maxview for that. (I've got a spare if you need one?)

I use a minibox which can run of 12v too. ..

Search for PACE minibox on a certain auction site. ..

could try something like this:

http://www. totalsat. co. uk/sky-entertainmen. ..kage-p-103. html

pricey though. ..

Or:

enter this code into argos. 532/1502 . . might be a way round that.

Edited by scotsman25

<p><span style="font-family:'Arial Black';">1995 Mk2 Pajero LWB 2. 8td - <strike>'04 Dart 556/6 - '</strike></span><span style="font-family:'Arial Black';"><strike>02 Sterling Elite Searcher</strike> - '07 Senator Wyoming S5 TA & 1997 ABI Award Northstar</span>

To receive subscription channels the card MUST be 'married' to the box. i. e you need to take it with you.

You can take your card but you'll only get Free To View (FTV) channels - which I do. You can pay for a freesta card but that only gets FTV anyway.

The only benefit to that is when you get to the site and you forget your card!! Which I've done many a time. .

as far as multiroom goes, any additional subscription box has to be connected to a phone line. Sky send random check pulses down the line to check that that card is in that box. failure toregister will cut it off - although they tend to send a letter first!

These controls are in place so that you dont take out multiroom for a tenner then pass on to someone else i. e a family member.

So take your box on a temporary basis or do with FTV channels.

For sky+ youll need a Quad LNB and Twin Core, best off with a minidish than the Maxview for that. (I've got a spare if you need one?)

I use a minibox which can run of 12v too. ..

Search for PACE minibox on a certain auction site. ..

i have had my sky+ for more than a year so can remove from the house think i might have to purchase they twin lnb for the sat dish, i have yet to try it out its trial and error did not have much luck at home so we will have to see

Best to order a quad lnb. Order some twin core coaxial cable. You'll still pay £80+ for a sky+ box though.

What are you actually wanting to do?

Watch SKY+ in the van? + record?

<p><span style="font-family:'Arial Black';">1995 Mk2 Pajero LWB 2. 8td - <strike>'04 Dart 556/6 - '</strike></span><span style="font-family:'Arial Black';"><strike>02 Sterling Elite Searcher</strike> - '07 Senator Wyoming S5 TA & 1997 ABI Award Northstar</span>

I have 3 Sky boxes, and I use the same card in all three without problem, ie I just take the card with me.

I don't use premium channels such as movies and sports and I would guess that these wouldn't work other than in the box that the card was supplied with.

This is correct. If you have premium channels ie Movies and Sport then the card is 'married' to the sky box. I have a box at home and another already set up in the 'van. All I do is take the card with me when I use the 'van and I get the same channels as at home ie Documentaries, News, Gen Entertainment. I do not subscribe to any premium channels. I do keep a £20 card in the 'van just in case I forget to take the card from home !!

Gerry

2005 Kia Sorento 2. 5 Auto towing 2011 Conqueror 645

As Gerry says above, only if you subscribe to premium channels.

I don't and so my card will work in any box and I get all the channels I subscribe to, including Sky 1 etc.

That said, I take our Sky+ with us and we have a house dish with quad LNB when on EHU.

When not on EHU we use a 12V Pace Javelin.

Carry On Camping!

Legsmaniac's World -my own personal web space with campsite reviews - http://www. legsmaniac. org. uk

As Gerry says above, only if you subscribe to premium channels.

I don't and so my card will work in any box and I get all the channels I subscribe to, including Sky 1 etc.

That said, I take our Sky+ with us and we have a house dish with quad LNB when on EHU.

When not on EHU we use a 12V Pace Javelin.

ok this is getting confusing, yes we have sky + at home I do not have any movies, or sports channels just the standard variety pack, so if i get hold of another sky box take my card from home and use it in the new box will i get all the standard chaneels i have at home, these include uk gold, living, discovery channel, sky 1, sky 2, sky 3 etc only when they installed the new sky+ box they married the card with the box thats why i was unsure if the card will work in other units, i dont care if i cant record would just be nice to watch the 200 or so channels i have at home, with the avtex tv on dvb i get some channels but not all that i get on sky

I do not have any movies, or sports channels just the standard variety pack, so if i get hold of another sky box take my card from home and use it in the new box will i get all the standard chaneels i have at home, these include uk gold, living, discovery channel, sky 1, sky 2, sky 3 etc

Simple answer is yes. :D

Sky+ recording won't work on another Sky+ box but you'll get all the channels.

Remember also, that if you take your card with you, the Sky+ box at home won't record while you're away so if you have any programs series linked to record while you're away, they won't work without the card plugged in.

This is why I either take the box with me or leave both box and card at home and use the Pace Javelin and Freesat card. Any channels I can't get on the Pace Javelin are being recorded at home anyway, ready to watch when we get back.

Hope this helps.

Carry On Camping!

Legsmaniac's World -my own personal web space with campsite reviews - http://www. legsmaniac. org. uk