Catching The Caravan Bug

bmd

Hi everybody,I am relatively new to caravaning. I have always fancied the idea of it,but all I ever did was talk about it. That was up till just before the big FOUR O. I thought, right, thats it, if I don't do it now,I never will. That started all the wind ups in work,about getting old and getting a caravan. Another workmate was getting a motorbike for his fortieth,and he was laughing about how boring I was. The reality is he is going through a mid life crisis.

The only problem was my car. I had not long bought a Ford Focus 1. 6 Zetec tdci,which is a brilliant car. But once I looked into buying a caravan properly, I then realised that I was limited to a certain size and weight of van,and I would lose too much money changing the car. Sounds daft and logical,when you are experienced, but when I saw what caravans I was being limited to,I thought there is no wayI am going to get anything suitable. You see we had a three year old (it's ok,we still have him,it's just that he is four now),and we had another on the way. Because we were going into it as novices, and not even knowing if my wife was going to like the caravan life style, we didn't want to spend too much. The dealers showed us two berths and fold up caravans that would suit the car,and we were almost tempted to go for a nice wee caravan,and we almost signed there and then. We decided to go for a coffee first. That is when we passed a much smaller dealership, that we didn't know was there, and saw our van. It was ideal,a wee ABI Marauder,small and compact,perfect for our car,well looked after,in our price range, and best of all, a five berth.

So far this year we have been out in it three times,which is quite good going for us,as the two of us are working,and our wee boy is at nursery as well. The first time this year was to The Ranch at Maybole in Ayrshire,at the begining of March. That was the worst weather we had this year,snow blizards,torrential rain,thunder and lightning, oh and there was gale force winds too. Great fun ! Anyway,the next two trips were brilliant,Easter to New England Bay in Galloway,and then at the begining of May,we went to Alyth near Blairgowrie,up in Perthshire. Weather was absolutly superb, I even got a bit sunburnt at Easter. Well, the upshot is,we all love this new lifestyle now, and we are even talking now, of maybe going for something newer and bigger,and changing the car to suit next year.

Anyway sorry for rambling,I have a habbit of doing that,I just wish I had done this years ago. Well, I better go now. Cheerio the noo. Brian.

Glad to hear you are enjoying yourselves, but try and keep it quite from your work mates, it is hard enough getting onto good site as it is, we don't want to many enjoying our lifestyle ;).

Ace Firestar hiding behind Jeep Cherokee Sport

I'm not depressed,the world is just happier than me.

Glad to hear you are enjoying yourselves, but try and keep it quite from your work mates, it is hard enough getting onto good site as it is, we don't want to many enjoying our lifestyle ;).

Yeah,your right about wanting to keep it for ourselves. It is an amazing lifestyle if you make the most of it. I love the quality time spent with the family, and getting away and forgetting about work and everyday life.

Yeah,your right about wanting to keep it for ourselves. It is an amazing lifestyle if you make the most of it. I love the quality time spent with the family, and getting away and forgetting about work and everyday life.

The main thing you "old people" will discover is that talking to "the wife" is not such a bad thing after all :D

Tugging a Bailey Senator Vermont Millennium

With a 1999 Vauxhall Frontera Diesel 2. 2 Automatic

We bought our first one before I turned 30 (last year) my partner is 30 next year and he I think gets more jibs than I do about getting old etc. However like you we love it and wish we'd done it years ago. Friends of ours are now buying them too :D Our van was also found 'by accident' a trade in at a motorhome dealers. 73 nights booked for this year so far and sure I can cram a few more in somewhere.

Hope you continue enjoying it :D

Edited by lil_me

We bought our first one before I turned 30 (last year) my partner is 30 next year and he I think gets more jibs than I do about getting old etc. However like you we love it and wish we'd done it years ago. Friends of ours are now buying them too :D

Hi,

funny how people who are 'anti' become 'pro' when they actually take the time to look at a modern 'van and then look at the lifestyle :D,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Hi,

funny how people who are 'anti' become 'pro' when they actually take the time to look at a modern 'van and then look at the lifestyle :D,

Regards,

Ian.

Oh yes, well some bought tents and because of how bad last year was when it came to rain they sharp gave up and bought caravans. Ours was modern, newest one of course is brand new but yes I think it's the lifestyle as most have gone for older ones. When we were never home :D kind of rubbed it in a bit.

Oh yes, well some bought tents and because of how bad last year was when it came to rain they sharp gave up and bought caravans. Ours was modern, newest one of course is brand new but yes I think it's the lifestyle as most have gone for older ones. When we were never home :D kind of rubbed it in a bit.

I loved camping when I was younger, but I actualy feel sorry for people in tents now,especially when it is torrential rain. Once you have had a taste of caravaning,and experienced the luxuries you have at your disposal,you would find it hard to go back to that.

Guest tyke65

Love caravanning.

No matter how much you pay in an hotel (and it could be thousands for one night - it really could) you still don't know who slept in your bed last night.

In an hotel you can usually hear others widdling and toilets flushing during the night. And other things!

The edges of an hotel carpet are never as clean as yours.

You never have to argue about mini bar usage in your caravan. I know some will dispute this!

No hotel with its strange bedding is as comfortable as your own.

I could go on but I'm just going out to get the van ready for a six week Shetlands stint.

Love caravanning.

No matter how much you pay in an hotel (and it could be thousands for one night - it really could) you still don't know who slept in your bed last night.

In an hotel you can usually hear others widdling and toilets flushing during the night. And other things!

The edges of an hotel carpet are never as clean as yours.

You never have to argue about mini bar usage in your caravan. I know some will dispute this!

No hotel with its strange bedding is as comfortable as your own.

I could go on but I'm just going out to get the van ready for a six week Shetlands stint.

Hi Tyke,

I have yet to stay in any hotel where I was happy about everything, whereas when taking the caravan we know what the standard of accomodation is,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

. ..........mmmmmmm. ............blown air heating first thing in the morning. ............mmmmmmmmm. .

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

We bought our first one before I turned 30 (last year) my partner is 30 next year and he I think gets more jibs than I do about getting old etc. However like you we love it and wish we'd done it years ago. Friends of ours are now buying them too :D Our van was also found 'by accident' a trade in at a motorhome dealers. 73 nights booked for this year so far and sure I can cram a few more in somewhere.

Hope you continue enjoying it :D

I can relate to the jibs about getting old, both Sarah (wife) and myself are 25 and got our first caravan in Feb this year. My work mates think I'm mad and 25 going on 50. Why do people who know nothing about caravaning think it's for people over a certain age?

We both grew up caravanning with our parents and we met on a holiday rally at 16. We started out tenting but after a couple of years of seeing others in the caravan we remembered what we were missing and went for it this year! We both love the caravanning lifestyle, we feel so relaxed after a weekend or longer away.

Sam

<p>2007 Sterling Cruach Cuillin & 2016 Volvo XC60 SE D4 190

Hi Sam,

It appears that just about everybody has an opinion on caravanners and caravanning when, in reality, very few people know anything about us :D . I find that it makes life interesting and leads to some interesting conversations in the bar,

Regards,

Ian.

Why do people who know nothing about caravaning think it's for people over a certain age?

Hi Sam

Because they do not realise that you can have 2 weeks holiday for as little as £400. 00. :D

Regards.

Col

Proud to be a Patriot and CT Ninja
I get the feeling that beneath your sesquipedalian loquaciousness you're the same kind of fundamentalist intent on winning arguments through Argumentum Verbosium.