Flies

hdj

Just towed to Southern France and collected a vast fly collection. Has anybody ever put something on the front of their van that makes it east to clean.

A lot pf people put cling film across the front of their caravans when travelling a long distance, but I imagine that there is a danger of this coming off and ending up an someones windscreen.

I myself have never bothered as I usually wash it after every trip and they come off easy.

Regards
Terry Birch
The tourer days are over, we now have an Hobby D500 GESC.

Could end up with scratched windows using that

Nope had one for years -- and use the full cover for winter storage too .

-- They are just down the road from us and the covers are made "caravan specific"

-- [they make it for your van tell them the make and model etc]

-- never marked any thing. . if they are good enough for RR and Jags they are good enough for my Abbey :D

Maurice

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold 😥) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club

Traveling with it on you would think there would be some movement that could cause scratching, just a thought.

I thought exactly the same as you, and a friend had one and i couldn`t see any scratches from a years worth of traveling.

So i was sold, but i don`t keep it on during storage.

Jason :D

A lot pf people put cling film across the front of their caravans when travelling a long distance, but I imagine that there is a danger of this coming off and ending up an someones windscreen.

I myself have never bothered as I usually wash it after every trip and they come off easy.

Beware - the plasticisers in cling film can lead to crazing of the acrylic windows over time.

Mike

Nope had one for years -- and use the full cover for winter storage too .

-- They are just down the road from us and the covers are made "caravan specific"

-- [they make it for your van tell them the make and model etc]

-- never marked any thing. . if they are good enough for RR and Jags they are good enough for my Abbey :D

Maurice

Maurice

Just got rid of a 55 plate S Type bought new, good enough for Jags is no recomendation nowadays, your Abbey is much better built and more reliable - what a nail the Jag was.

2008 Audi A6 Avant TDI Multitronic - 2009 Coastline 530 SE

After washing my van with Fenwicks, I always give it a coat of their 'Bobby Dazzler' which gives a protection against traffic film - presumably it will help flies to be removed more easily. If you were travelling a very long distance and were going to wash the van down at the end of the journey, I suppose you could even use overwintering fluid which really protects well but washes off easily.

Jonathan.

2004 Swift Challenger 550 SLE

Sorry posted in error. ........stupid boy :D,

Regards,

Ian.

Edited by ian dunning

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Hi Mike,

I was watching a Caravan show, on the Discovery channel ther other day and the presenter mentioned that some people cover their windows with cling film before putting on a caravan cover and he said that it was a good idea! I cringed when I heard him say that :D .

Regarding fly removal, I find that the quicker that you attend to them the easier they are to remove,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Interesting posts HERE

whats a Pro Tec cover? --

OK just found out

Pro-Tec Covers

202 Leeds Road

Bradford

BD3 9PS

West Yorkshire

sorry. ..

dont they do the NEC ??

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold 😥) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club

Before along journey I wash and polish (without using water) the van using www. miracledrywash. com this is a great way to wash and polish the van even when you are on site it also does the car a treat as well. It also cleans the acylic windows a treat without scratching them to peices.

I bought a Pro-Tec front cover a few months ago and have used it ever since - there is too much pressure on the cover during travelling for it to move on the front of the caravan. As I use the 'van at least every other weekend I leave the cover on whilst in storage and have had no problems to date. Well pleased with the result, no flies, diesel soot or anything on the front of the 'van and it always looks clean on site.

Gerry

2005 Kia Sorento 2. 5 Auto towing 2011 Conqueror 645

• 1 month later...

Sorry about the delay (just got back home) Thank you all for your views and ideas