Screw Type Awning Pegs

poolebob

I have bought one of the lightweight type awnings which is quick and easy to erect but takes an age to peg down, especially on hard standings.

I am thinking of getting some screw type pegs. Does anyone have any experience of using a particular make and are they any good?

Proprietary ones seem expensive and a cheaper option would be to buy some standard coachbolts and washers from somewhere like Screwfix. Has any one done this?

Thanks

Bob

Honda CRV Diesel Petrol & No caravan now. :angry:

A few years ago, I purchased the blue-topped pegs from the Moor View caravan park (see ad in C. C. mag).

I have found that it is almost impossible to screw the pegs into the majority of hardstandings, and that applies to any type of screw peg.

What I do is drive them in with a club hammer, but use my cordless electric drill to extract them.

The occasional threaded hex. head bolt gets bent, but B&Q replacements are cheap. The blue heads are superior to any other peg top I have come across.

I have not yet managed to break one of these heads, despite occasionally missing with the club hammer.

I have bought one of the lightweight type awnings which is quick and easy to erect but takes an age to peg down, especially on hard standings.

I am thinking of getting some screw type pegs. Does anyone have any experience of using a particular make and are they any good?

Proprietary ones seem expensive and a cheaper option would be to buy some standard coachbolts and washers from somewhere like Screwfix. Has any one done this?

Thanks

Bob

I found that on hard standing that my screw pegs would not go in so I reverted to the big hammer and hardened metal pegs but hated the effort required to pull them out. I tried using the drill with a long masonary bit to make holes but without the hammer the drill was about as much use as a wooden dummy. So this year I bought myself a new drill one of these and it now makes short work of them, when it is really hard a quick hole with the masonary bit and then use the old drill to put the peg in and the jobs a good un. Pulling pegs out with the drill makes all the effort worthwhile, it saves an awful lot of effort.

Bill

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.

Discovery 4 HSE 2015, Bailey Unicorn S4 Barcelona 2018.
http://www. mycaravan. org. uk/

Bob,

I have 8" Steel 'ScrewPegs' for hardstandings and 'Wormi' Pegs for Grass. ScrewPegs reccomend a minimum of 18v Drill. Until this year I was using my old 14. 4v drill and was having difficulty on some hardstandings, when it eventually gave up, I bit the bullet and purchased an 18v DeWalt, and this seems to work much better. I wouldn't go back to steel pegs and hammer, too many bruised thumbs! Don't use plastic pegs in hardstandings, you will only break them.

Hope this is of some help. .....Paul

Outfit - Sterling Eccles Solitaire + Vauxhall Antara SE 184 Auto

Thanks

Bob

Bob - I have both the plastic screw in pegs (yellow with red clips) which go in very fast when on soft ground. Also have the metal ones they sell on Caravan Club sites which I normally just hammer in when on a hardstanding. However, we stayed at the Tredegar House Caravan Club site near Newport last year and found the hardstandings almost rock solid (something to do with moisture combining with minerals present in the local soil / gravel). Found that the only option (as recommended by the site warden) was to use a cordless drill with a long masonry bit to do pilot holes (very slightly smaller diameter). Crucial to have a good cordless drill e. g. Lithium batts & more than 1. 2 amps (mine's a Hitachi 3 amp / 18v with Li-ion batts). Not sure coachbolts are going to do the trick, but good luck whatever you decide.

Colin

Living it up in our. ..
Lunar Delta TI + Kia Sportage Titan

Thanks

Bob

I bought some on ebay last year for the same reasons as yourself - light weight Suncamp awning etc.

First tme out they were screwing in splendidly through the rubber adjustable stretchers, BUT THEN - I discovered that they were too large to go through the metal rings on the skirt so I had to revert to my normal "hammer in" rock pegs.

The screw in pegs really are a great asset and save a lot of backache and physical stress, so I'm thinking of looping some sturdy "Tie Backs" through the metal rings ande leaving them loose enough to take the screw pegs.

In theory it should work - I'll be trying it out next time we're out.

- Wilkie

Thanks Guys for all your advice.

Fortunately I have an external mains socket so I could use an electric rather than cordless drill. Down to B & Q this morning and then perhaps a trip to Screwfix. The 18v Dewalt drill at £99. 99 looks rather tempting.

poolebob

Thanks Guys for all your advice.

Fortunately I have an external mains socket so I could use an electric rather than cordless drill. Down to B & Q this morning and then perhaps a trip to Screwfix. The 18v Dewalt drill at £99. 99 looks rather tempting.

poolebob

It is a super piece of kit

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

i went to screwfix and bought a box of coach bolts then from b&q i purchaced brown fixing blocks these need centre hole redrilling to take the coachbolt and i found these a lot cheaper and easy to use in grass or hard standing think about it and give it a try . i also found that after atime the plastic on the rock split and broke i could not find replacements without bying the full peg so the blocks from b&q can also be modified to fit . try them joe

I agree - they work well for me.

Can I ask where you got the 15mm socket with an adapter to fit to the drill for these please, I have just bought a box of these which are cheaper than the others, I needed half a dozen for a job and it was cheaper to buy 50 from screwfix than to buy half a dozen from B&Q. I might turn the rest into spare awning pegs if I can find a 15mm adapter for the drill.

Bill

Guest John KS

Hi Dave

I did the same but I used the original yellow plastic peg tops supplied with the awning and drilled them out to take the Screwfix coachscrews. Much cheaper than buying the ones suppled by the caravan dealers. My cheap battery drill does the job well. Can't see the point of spending a fortune on an eletric mains drill.

Can I ask where you got the 15mm socket with an adapter to fit to the drill for these please, I have just bought a box of these which are cheaper than the others, I needed half a dozen for a job and it was cheaper to buy 50 from screwfix than to buy half a dozen from B&Q. I might turn the rest into spare awning pegs if I can find a 15mm adapter for the drill.

If you already have some sockets then these from Screwfix do the job.

http://www. screwfix. com/prods/17228/Screwd. ..ver-Bit-Set-3Pc

By the way it looks as though they have stopped doing the 18v DeWalt Drill for just under £100, although my Branch still had a couple earlier in the week.

poolebob

If you already have some sockets then these from Screwfix do the job.

http://www. screwfix. com/prods/17228/Screwd. ..ver-Bit-Set-3Pc

By the way it looks as though they have stopped doing the 18v DeWalt Drill for just under £100, although my Branch still had a couple earlier in the week.

poolebob

Superb thankyou very much, I will go down and get a set this afternoon. The Branch in Rochdale had a large display with about 12 sets in when I was down there on Tuesday.

The package is still there on the website but it is now on sale at £195

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

Screwfix have a combi pack, a Ryobi One+ 18v and an Angled Drill for £82. 86.

http://www. screwfix. com/prods/42847/Power-...Drill-Twin-Pack

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

Have a look at:

http://www. mycaravan. org. uk/Awnings. html

Used these for years, work in hard and soft ground

Dsave

Discovery 4 HSE 2015, Bailey Unicorn S4 Barcelona 2018.
http://www. mycaravan. org. uk/

Screwfix have a combi pack, a Ryobi One+ 18v and an Angled Drill for £82. 86.

http://www. screwfix. com/prods/42847/Power-...Drill-Twin-Pack

Now he tells just after I had taken advantage of B & Qs 15% offer and bought an 18v Bosch lithium-ion drill. Seriously though B & Q also had a Ryobi 18v drill with two batteries with a free box of drills, drivers etc etc for £69. With 15% off this would have been £58 and I was tempted by this. In the end decided that the benefits of a li-on drill outweighed the extra cost.

Now to try it out with my screwfix coach bolts and washers.

poolebob

Now he tells just after I had taken advantage of B & Qs 15% offer and bought an 18v Bosch lithium-ion drill. Seriously though B & Q also had a Ryobi 18v drill with two batteries with a free box of drills, drivers etc etc for £69. With 15% off this would have been £58 and I was tempted by this. In the end decided that the benefits of a li-on drill outweighed the extra cost.

Now to try it out with my screwfix coach bolts and washers.

poolebob

Sorry, posted as early as I could. :blush:

I have been tempted by that offer myself, I already have a Ryobi drill but I would really find the angled drill useful. :rolleyes:

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

Sorry, posted as early as I could. :blush:

I have been tempted by that offer myself, I already have a Ryobi drill but I would really find the angled drill useful. :rolleyes:

Apologies Artleknock, my tongue was firmly in my cheek. I wasn't getting at you. I had already decided to get a drill with a li-on battery rather than the Ni-Cad ones that come with the Ryobis. Li-on are much lighter and don't suffer from memory effect or self discharge. That means that you can charge them at any time rather than waiting until they are discharged and once charged they hold their charge. I don't use a cordless drill very often and I found with my first drill that although I left the batteries charged, when I came back to them and wanted to use them they were flat.

polebob :D

I like the idea of screwpegs - but I think 160mm is a bit on the short side for where we spend a lot of our time. The site is on very sandy ground, so I've bought some at 200mm. from here:-

http://www. coachboltsonline. co. uk/cs10200z. ..-pack-of-5. html

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com