Pneumatic Jockey Wheel - Mover

MorrisR

I've just had a Powrwheel mover fitted to my Coachman Pastiche 460/2 and although it worked well after fitting, my storage site is on gravel so the jockey wheel had a tendency to dig in when changing direction. The fitter recommended changing the standard solid Alko Jockey Wheel for a pneumatic tyre wider wheel.

Q1 - has anyone had to do this?

Q2 - can just the wheel be change or is it the whole Jockey Wheel assembly?

Q3 - did the pneumatic wheel solve the problem?

Cheers

Morris

Cheers

Morris

Coachman Pastiche 4602 - Hyundai Tucson 2L CRDi

ive heard that a pneumatic tyre performs better when in use with a mover in most apects of use, however ive heard that under certain circumstances/conditions they can come off the rim. Another thing to watch is if your jocky assembly is centre mounted as mine is on a Hobby, then there can be clearance issues when the wheel is raised, ie the diameter of the pneumatic tyre is greater so doesnt raise as far. I dare say those with actual experience can advise you further,

nigel

Edited by nigel129

NIGEL129 Hobby 495 Ufe (2003)

Powrtouch HD BP GAS Lite User Toyota Surf 2. 4 Tug,

I've just had a Powrwheel mover fitted to my Coachman Pastiche 460/2 and although it worked well after fitting, my storage site is on gravel so the jockey wheel had a tendency to dig in when changing direction. The fitter recommended changing the standard solid Alko Jockey Wheel for a pneumatic tyre wider wheel.

Cheers

Morris

Hi Morris.

I have fitted a pneumatic jockey wheel to my van when I had the mover fitted.

I think you will find that you have to replace the whole jockey wheel assembly as I couldn't find a wheel to fit the existing one.

Yes it solved the problem.

Hope this helps.

Regards Ken.

Ken.

Bailey Senator Wyoming pulled by Mitsubishi Shogun Sport.

Hello, Morris,

I have a Coachman Pastiche 460/2, and have fitted it with a Powrtouch mover.

Like you, I have occasionally found it difficult for the jockey wheel to deal with gravel on some pitches. It also has been a pain on very soft grass; usually due to wet weather, when it digs into the ground. The van is now coming up to 3-years-old, and the jockey wheel tyre showing sign of wear, at which time I intend to change to a pneumatic tyre.

Assuming your jockey wheel is the same model as on my van, yes, you will have to change the whole jockey wheel unit. I don't think that just the bottom section is avalable separately.

Regards, The 2 Tops.

Ours is a twin axle and I very quickly put the old jockey wheel back. I could never turn without the tyre coming off and it got a couple of punctures at inconvienient times as well. Perhaps it was a weight thing.

Regards

SuperMike

together with

Management and Lady Faith Finesse, who is a Black & Tan Cavalier KCS - Gorgeous Girl, and my wife is as well.

Sedona 2. 9TDi - Swift Conqueror 645 LUX

CAVALIERS ARE LIKE SUNSHINE, THEY BRIGHTEN UP YOUR DAY.

You will be amazed at the difference a pneumatic jockey wheel makes on all surfaces, never mind grass and gravel!

When I bought the last two caravans I asked the dealer to change the wheels over for pneumatic ones, which he did without changing the whole assembly. Just make sure that the wheel you buy is capeable of taking the van's noseweight.

We use our van more than most people and I have never had one come off nor have I heard of it, some people complain that they have to keep blowing them up, which tells me that either the valve or tube are leaking.

If you are not sure which wheel to buy just ask your dealer.

Regards
Terry Birch
The tourer days are over, we now have an Hobby D500 GESC.

I'm thinking of getting one of these pneumatic JW's.

What kind of pressure should I put in ?

Will there be some indication on the wall of the tyre ?

We have a 17ft 2 berth Elddis which is fairly heavy for it's size.

All advice gratefully received.

- Wilkie

Cheers

Morris

Hi Morris

I have fitted one to my van as it was also recommended by the Powertouch engineer.

To answer your questions. ...

Q1 Yes I have

Q2 I am told no as the wheel is a different size (don't know if this is fact)

Q3 Yes made a massive difference.

Now to answer another question on this thread. - The tyre pressure is marked on the Jockywheel. I have found that as long as I keep the tyre fully inflated there is no problem.

Brian

Tugging a Bailey Senator Vermont Millennium

With a 1999 Vauxhall Frontera Diesel 2. 2 Automatic

On the last three vans I have changed the solid JW to a Pneumatic

-- principally for the ease of use when using the mover

-- I have never had a tyre come of the rim

-- but I do ensure that the are well inflated.

There is one disadvantage that has FORCED me to remove the Pneumatic from my Abbey

-- with the change over of the position of the JW from the outside of the A Frame

-- to inside the A Frame it has become nearly impossible to stow the wheel right up inside the frame -

-- the tyres are wider and slightly bigger

-- So that it does now interfere with the override brake levers etc. .

If you can over come this problem -- I would recommend the fitting of one when using your mover. .

On grass or gravel they don't seem to "dig in" and if there is a small kerb they ride up it easier.

The other question - Do I have to get the complete unit ?-

-- yes you have to buy the complete unit as the tyre is wider and as such the bottom bracket is wider too.

All the best

Maurice

Maurice

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold 😥) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club

Jockey wheels of any type are no problem if you drive the van in reverse. B)

I knowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. But I like to to park my everso lovely twin axle nose first on the drive, as it makes it just that bit more difficult to tea leaf. So there. :P

Regards

SuperMike

together with

Management and Lady Faith Finesse, who is a Black & Tan Cavalier KCS - Gorgeous Girl, and my wife is as well.

Sedona 2. 9TDi - Swift Conqueror 645 LUX

CAVALIERS ARE LIKE SUNSHINE, THEY BRIGHTEN UP YOUR DAY.

Ah well - if you had a bigger drive you could reverse up then pirouette. :unsure:

Or

Square profile guttering makes a lovely track for a normal jockey wheel to run in. :)

Edited by Grandpa Steve

I changed to a pneumatic for ease of movement either with or without the mover - am I the only one who still carries the solid one around with me? if i am on a long term stay, I swop them over and use the solid one as it saves me continually checking the pressure in the pneumatic. also think this may lengthen the life of the pneumatic.

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

I had the same problem with the solid wheel but as my jockey wheel is on the "A" frame I took it into local caravan centre & found a pneumatic wheel that fitted,

It made life much easier when moving the van around, I use a cycle pump to blow it up every now & then. .....easier than finding my compressor from the boot :lol:

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all replies on pneumatic jockey wheel assy.

Another question is there anywhere where I can get instruction on how to change the assy assuming I buy the Alko Pneumatic Tyre Jockey Wheel Assy?

Cheers

Morris

Cheers

Morris

Coachman Pastiche 4602 - Hyundai Tucson 2L CRDi

Thanks for all replies on pneumatic jockey wheel assy.

Another question is there anywhere where I can get instruction on how to change the assy assuming I buy the Alko Pneumatic Tyre Jockey Wheel Assy?

Cheers

Morris

Just put the van jacks down release the clamp that locks your jockey wheel to the A frame then just screw it down as if raising the van to hitch up and the two parts just unscrew. Replacement with the new one is just in reverse procedure, you may have to lift the front of the van higher than normal though depending on the length of the shaft 5 mins job

As a dedicated user of pneumatic tyred jockeywheels the following may be useful;

Get a steel wheel not plastic

Ensure tyre is 4 ply. ....... not a 2ply wheelbarrow tyre (which most are)

Inflate to correct pressure, 60psi. ...my tyre has never lost pressure perhaps because of the good quality tyre and tube fitted.

I was lucky and found that the arms on the bottom of a jockey leg could be spread to allow the pneumatic tyre to fit. My J/W clamp is inside the A frame (BPW chassis) and the J/W retracts fully but the larger diameter tyre is slightly lower than the O. E. .

Edited by beejay

As a dedicated user of pneumatic tyred jockeywheels the following may be useful;

Get a steel wheel not plastic

Ensure tyre is 4 ply. ....... not a 2ply wheelbarrow tyre (which most are)

Inflate to correct pressure, 60psi. ...my tyre has never lost pressure perhaps because of the good quality tyre and tube fitted.

I was lucky and found that the arms on the bottom of a jockey leg could be spread to allow the pneumatic tyre to fit. My J/W clamp is inside the A frame (BPW chassis) and the J/W retracts fully but the larger diameter tyre is slightly lower than the O. E. .

good point about tyre pressure -- keep it high -- I think people think it is a small wheel it must be low !!

Maurice

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold 😥) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club