Hitching Up To A Landrover Freelander ?

mstaines

This is aimed at anyone with a Landrover Freelander and a caravan with an Alko hitch. Since I got my Freelander (Which I love. ..) I have noticed that it is very difficult to hitch the caravan up, due to the Alko hitch struggling to get passed the spare wheel on the Freelander.

You have to raise the alko hitch stabilizer handle to hitch up, but the spare wheel restricts the full raising of the handle. ...

Is this just one of those problems you get with a Freelander or am I being really stupid and missing something really obvious. ..

Feedback would be greatly appreciated on this little annoyance. ..

Part of the reason why caravanners prefer 4x4s with the spare underneath!

There is an alternate handle available from Alko which makes it a bit easier but doesn't solve the problem completely.

You have to raise the alko hitch stabilizer handle to hitch up, but the spare wheel restricts the full raising of the handle. ...

Is this just one of those problems you get with a Freelander or am I being really stupid and missing something really obvious. ..

Hi,

I had something similar with a small box trailer behind my 1960 Land Rover. Getting it onto the hitch wasn't difficult. But the spare wheel prevented me from getting a straight lif, to get it off. I didn't have a jockey wheel to act as a jack

Solution? Open the rear door of the Land Rover, swing everything out of the way.

I don't know if this would work with a Freelander, or if your caravan has more clutter on the draw-bar than my trailer. Be careful not to leave the door on the wrong side of any clutter.

I saw a device many years ago. THe trailer 50mm socket pulled out from the drawbar, and could then swivvel. So you parked your car close-ish to the front of the van, pulled the coupling out, hooked onto the ball. Then reverse the car, which pushed the coupling back into its housing, where it then "locked". Probably abandoned on H&S grounds. ....could be intersting if you drove off with out first reversing.

Same problem with Fronteras (amongst others).

SImple enough solution. (DONT buy Alko handle replacement).

If you look on the top of the handle there is one bolt that runs through the top to keep both sides of the handle together. When your ready to hitch, just undo this long bolt, about 5 turns usually, slide it out and the handle slides off the 2 "legs" of the hitch. The handle is jst a plastic moulding with no parts inside.

The 2 "legs" can now move freely of each other meaning you can hitch up no problem. When the van has hitched, handle will slide back onto legs, bolt back in (Allen key) and then apply the pressure to lock into place as normal.

Takes seconds and becomes second nature after a couple of goes.

In Consilio Sapienta

tn_gallery_1122_263_6791.jpg

Will I get the same problem with a Winterhoff hitch ?

VW Tiguan AllSpace  tugging Swift Challenger 565

If at first you don't succeed. . . .Skydiving ain't for you. . . .

I tried brassneck's route regarding keep removing the handle but got fed up especialy when it was raining and spotted one of the Alko removable handles on Ebay second hand for next to nothing :D so I bought it best thing I did but remember to take it off before travelling. Not sure I would have paid Alko's full price £32. 71 for it though

Dave

No, works on a different principle.

There are no hitching issues with W/hoffs.

Thanks for the reply m8y,just what i wanted to hear. ..thanks again

VW Tiguan AllSpace  tugging Swift Challenger 565

If at first you don't succeed. . . .Skydiving ain't for you. . . .

After 8 years of strugggling with the same problem on Two Freelanders (not realsing there was a simple solution!) I invested in the Alko removable Stabiliser Handle.

I felt the price was worth paying to make life a lot easier -

We have enough to contend with, packing up in the rain in this country without adding to it, (which I will probably be doing at Chatsworth on Sunday IF you believe the forecast!).

Just discovered that there are International Horse Trials at Chatsworth on Saturday and Sunday so I will be having to mix with the horsey set this weekend!!

Mike

Mike Wild. Mazda CX-7 towing Lunar Clubman Saros SB.

HI WE USED TO HAVE A TD4 FREELANDER AND FITTED A SPACER TO TOW BALL AND PROBLEM WAS SOLVED AND SOMETIMES IF YOU OPEN TAIL GATE ON CAR JUST A BIT THIS GIVES SOME ROOM TO HITCH UP AND OFF.

KIRK

LUNAR LEXON DS ROYAL HERCULES MOVER, 2017 Seat Alhambra 184 se lux & SSANGYONG REXTON 2. 9 RUNNING ON VEG OIL. 1982 HONDA CX500EC. YAMAHA XJ600S. 2006 FORD KA

After 8 years of strugggling with the same problem on Two Freelanders (not realsing there was a simple solution!) I invested in the Alko removable Stabiliser Handle.

I felt the price was worth paying to make life a lot easier -

We have enough to contend with, packing up in the rain in this country without adding to it, (which I will probably be doing at Chatsworth on Sunday IF you believe the forecast!).

Just discovered that there are International Horse Trials at Chatsworth on Saturday and Sunday so I will be having to mix with the horsey set this weekend!!

Mike

Hope you have fun Blows a bit round Chatsworth We fly off to Greek Islands tommorow 26deg at mo mmm

Dave

We had a similar problem with our Freelander, spent nearly 3 hours trying to hitch it up the first time when we collected it.

Tried the reversing the car at an angle - didn't work

Tried the reversing with the back door open - door too wide to get close enough to the towball, then couldn't close the door

In the end we reversed up at an angle with the door half open, had to remove the jockey wheel as it got in the way of the door. Had to close the door slowly as it got closer to the 'van. Once hitched up could close the door and reattach the jockey wheel.

All this was done one winter Sunday afternoon in the rain and wind. Never again, swiftly purchased the Alko 4x4 removable handle. It works better but there is still an element of slight adjustment.

Save the arguments and frustration for the sake of £30 LOL

Outfit: 51reg 2. 7 Jeep Grand Cherokee 52reg Mercedes C270 Avanteguard Peugeot 407 2. 7v6 Ford Mondeo 2. 0 Zetec -------> Ace Prestige 25
Us: Me, Husband, 35 kilo German Shepherd RIP Amber (18/6/15)