Caravan Sales Up

Hobbynut

I hope this is correct and not just 'talking up' sales to make people feel better!

We visited a caravan sales outlet recently and they had so many unsold units (new and used) that the customers car park had been taken over and we had to park outside - certainly no indication there of a 'boom'.

Discovery 4 XS SDV6 and Airstream 532 plus 1996 MGF owned since new.

was in at my dealers in Rushden on Saturday and the words

" used caravan sales in the £3,000 to £6,000 band are now manic – we can't get enough of them – and it is helping the sales of new vans."

were very similar to the ones he used !!

Maurice

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold 😥) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club

The dealer I recently bought my new caravan from reports the same, they are turning people away because they don't have enough secondhand caravans to sell and they have sold nearly 3 times the number of new caravans since the start of this year, it makes a mockery of what the Dealer on the other side of the town claims as the reason they are in so much trouble "with the down turn in caravan sales" that they are having to shut branches.

I've noticed that my dealer is advertising on the local radio a Brokerage service to include a warranty for buyers, to private sellers I've never heard them advertise this in the past, may be it's his way of getting more stock on the forecourt.

In my opinion we're not fully into this depression yet.

Shortage of second hand caravans indicates a shortage of caravanners trading up to new ones.

A couple of manufacturers have gone to the wall which might help others as they pick up a bit more business.

As a yardstick, I bought my 2006 model Bailey in October 2005 and had to wait until end of March 2006 for it.

If business is booming I daresay that waiting times will be longer. Are They?

Scales

In my opinion we're not fully into this depression yet.

Shortage of second hand caravans indicates a shortage of caravanners trading up to new ones.

Scales

The shortage of second hand caravans is due to the number of new caravanners they do not have a trade in which creates the shortage.

It seems there is a lot of people venturing into carravanning for the first time at the moment, my local dealer (Not a big dealer) But says that he is about 20 used vans down on what he normally has at this time of year. Also echoing what MauriceH has said, it is the upto £7k vans that people are looking for. I had no plans to change mine this year but was offered what I thought to be a good offer to trade mine in and went for it.

Edited by ad210358

Interesting article Hobby, clearly they are trying to talk the market up, and the price of course, because whilst they may be selling units they are not at the same prices or margins.

Copied from article - Businesses in the sector have been dealt a series of blows over the past six months, with job losses totalling more than 1,500.

Thats the strangest booming industry I have ever heard of, everyone is struggling except maybe company administrators, dont forget of course the bravado about booming sales is just a tactic to stop us buyers screwing the prices down, cant imagine the dealers advertising they are desperate to sell stock, no offer refused etc etc.

Its a sales and profit tactic, just dont fall for it, it s a buyers market and you as the punter hold all the cards and they dont like it, so will do anything to try and get you to think otherwise.

The dealers and manufacturers have be doing smoke and mirrors over trade in values and having our pants down for years, when did you last get a straight answer over how much your used van is worth, and how much the new one will cost with or without discounts.

They offer a discount of the new, reduce your used value and talk about a price to swap, your van and x amount of money, try asking value of your used van and how much they are giving you, the price of the new as seperate and they get all defensive - Smoke and mirrors.

In the current climate the smoke has cleared so this is the latest tactic, straight from the salesmans handbook, chapter and verse.

Jim Hibbs, managing director of east Hull firm Coachman Caravans Ltd, said: "I'm really quite excited about the future and have faith in this company, the industry and Hull - is that like a vote of confidence from the Chairman to a Football Manager ?

Edited by andyg

2008 Audi A6 Avant TDI Multitronic - 2009 Coastline 530 SE

Personally i think its all rubbish.

I did a deal on my current van in December last year, but didnt go through with the sale.

6 weeks later i phoned the same company and asked for the deal on the same van. They gave me ANOTHER £2000 off the van price, over the phone, without me asking.

That isnt a boom, thats desperation.

Its also why the van is now on my driveway :lol:

In Consilio Sapienta

tn_gallery_1122_263_6791.jpg

Personally i think its all rubbish.

I did a deal on my current van in December last year, but didnt go through with the sale.

6 weeks later i phoned the same company and asked for the deal on the same van. They gave me ANOTHER £2000 off the van price, over the phone, without me asking.

That isnt a boom, thats desperation.

Its also why the van is now on my driveway :lol:

who was desperate -- you or them ?? :D

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold 😥) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club

We got a good deal on ours last year when the 'depression' was first starting they were struggling, now mid way in seems things are going better. I am not moaning, I got more for my van than I paid, or the new one at a very good price whichever way I look at it.

There is a spares dealer locally, he used to sell more spares than whole vans but said it's booming and people asking him to fix up ones he has or sell them ones needing a little work.

I'll be honest I've never seen the car parks at dealers so full as I have in recent months, struggle to get a space now, getting to speak to a salesman there is usually a queue.

Edited by lil_me

I must admit all the dealers we have visited recently seem to have a shortage of used vans on the forecourt and the ones that are there seem overpriced but they are still selling,there was a pretty shabby old Coachman twin axle with a sold sticker in the window for £5495,i would'nt have paid £549 it in the state it was in,it seems buyers are desperate to buy anything with wheels!

2012 Freelander SD4 HSE towing a 2007 Elddis Sunstyle GT 482

Hi,

I wonder if this mini boom is due to people thinking that they should set themselves up with a caravan because they're afraid of the future prospects and their ability to pay for foreign holidays? If so I would have thought that it could be short lived as those with a bit of money left diminish with the result that the so called buying frenzy ceases,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.