Overnight Stops In Laybys

BertieBassett

As a long distance lorry driver I travel all over this beautiful country of ours and see what many of our fellow 'vanners' get up to (roofs left open etc. . etc. . etc)

But I've noticed more of late that some are parking overnight in lay-bys,they must be very tired to be able to sleep with the noise and the shaking from the passing vehicles.

Fair enough if the lay-by is set back from the road as some are, then it is relatively safe but I've seen some who are parked up just feet in from the busy road. Police on some sections of the A1 move truckers on for their own safety. as all it takes is for a driver to nod off at the wheel and 'bang' Television news.

Can you imagine what it would look like if a truck hit a caravan with people asleep inside?

Possibly these people haven't got as far as expected or hoped and just given up through tiredness, surely they could find a safer place!

Jeff

I am sure on a caravan documentary it was said to be illegal to just stop and sleep as people used to do. I'd never do it, hate even stopping at them when in just a car.

Edited by lil_me

Some laybys around this neck of the woods have signs on them indicating "No Overnight Caravans" local bylaw, so bewarned, if the tealeaves :rolleyes:, other rogues are available, don't get you the Coppers will, or is it a traffic warden now, i haven't a clue as we only have one warden covering half of North Norfolk, and i hope he is on a pushbike :lol::lol:

Ace Firestar hiding behind Jeep Cherokee Sport

I'm not depressed,the world is just happier than me.

When I first started caravanning in the 70s there was a map published (dont recall by whom) that showed all the laybys longer than a certain length suitable for caravan stops.

We use to take advantage of these. I loved (still do) night driving and we would start our journey at 10pm, travel 3-4 hours reaching an earmarked layby for a few hours sleep before continuing our journey at first light.

This way many of the bottle necks were uncorked and there was less distraction to me while driving. But the rules changed and sleeping in laybys is frowned on if not verboten.

Anyway, with the 24/7 volume of 21century traffic and the sort of rougues wandering this country at all hours these days, I would not feel safe doing it any more!!!

But I do use Google to earmark laybys for pitstops along our routes

When I first started caravanning in the 70s there was a map published (dont recall by whom) that showed all the laybys longer than a certain length suitable for caravan stops.

We use to take advantage of these. I loved (still do) night driving and we would start our journey at 10pm, travel 3-4 hours reaching an earmarked layby for a few hours sleep before continuing our journey at first light.

This way many of the bottle necks were uncorked and there was less distraction to me while driving. But the rules changed and sleeping in laybys is frowned on if not verboten.

Anyway, with the 24/7 volume of 21century traffic and the sort of rougues wandering this country at all hours these days, I would not feel safe doing it any more!!!

I do still do it, as I have done since I first bought a caravan in the early 1970's. I have never been moved on and never had any sort of bother whilst so parked for the night, though I choose my stop off's with care rather than planning them. Like you I love night driving. My usual is to set off ASAP, after work have a meal on route, then continue driving until tired, then start looking for somewhere to stop. Often this will be around 2 or 3 am.

I never stop on main roads, never stop in places that are not set back or divided away from the road. I have never felt unsafe doing this and never bother to laock the caravan door, guess I am just not the timid type.

The only time we have ever been disturbed was one night a couple of years ago in south Wales, when the police with B&T's pulled into the same layby chasing a driver, pulled up along side, just six feet away then proceeded to question the driver in loud voices.

Bailey Pageant Monarch Series 5 2004

I do still do it, as I have done since I first bought a caravan in the early 1970's. I have never been moved on and never had any sort of bother whilst so parked for the night, though I choose my stop off's with care rather than planning them. Like you I love night driving. My usual is to set off ASAP, after work have a meal on route, then continue driving until tired, then start looking for somewhere to stop. Often this will be around 2 or 3 am.

I never stop on main roads, never stop in places that are not set back or divided away from the road. I have never felt unsafe doing this and never bother to laock the caravan door, guess I am just not the timid type.

The only time we have ever been disturbed was one night a couple of years ago in south Wales, when the police with B&T's pulled into the same layby chasing a driver, pulled up along side, just six feet away then proceeded to question the driver in loud voices.

Thats encouraging to know it still goes on. Just need to convince the wife its still safe to do it.

Maybe we should have a layby listing - resurrect 'the map'?

My main worry is that some people are parking just feet from a busy road and the possibility of a truck running into them, I agree that it should be ok if the lay-by is set back.

I wont do it in my lorry which should withstand a smack better than a caravan or motorhome.

jeff

Edited by BertieBassett

Hi,

What do you put into google, ive tried "laybys for pitstops" and got nowhere ?

Thanks

nigel

NIGEL129 Hobby 495 Ufe (2003)

Powrtouch HD BP GAS Lite User Toyota Surf 2. 4 Tug,

Sorry . ...Google maps

el

Ahhh usefull suggestion, any particular way you do it or just follow your route by eye?

nig

el

Ahhh usefull suggestion, any particular way you do it or just follow your route by eye?

nig

When I plan a route I initially use the AA route finder which gives a total mileage for the journey. Then based on 40-45mph I estimate roughly where I should be by (say) midmorning, lunchtime or mid afternoon and scan the planned route on google maps for likely looking spots. I normally select 3 or 4 candidates for flexibility. :D

When I plan a route I initially use the AA route finder which gives a total mileage for the journey. Then based on 40-45mph I estimate roughly where I should be by (say) midmorning, lunchtime or mid afternoon and scan the planned route on google maps for likely looking spots. I normally select 3 or 4 candidates for flexibility. :D

Try using Via Michelin, gives you three options for routes, has the most up to date satalite view(even newer than google earth) and has some other nice funtions including mileage and a viewable map in either map with labels and sat view with labels.

Still a labourious job though trying to follow the rroute looking for suitable stop, shame one cant just type in "find laybys" Are you interested in a web site for truck stops by road name ?

nigel

http://www. transportcafe. co. uk/

Edited by nigel129

One of my mates en-route for a French holiday had a lorry hit him in a lay-by. .......not at the back but reversed into smashing his car up.

I certainly wouldn't do it in any European country now.

rgds

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Hi

"Tired? Take a break!" says the road sign. It doesn't tell you where.

Truck drivers are required by law to take a break after so many hours. Could it be that they are not allowed to have a kip if they stop on a lay-by? Are the approved truck stops (motorway service stations, etc) big enough to accept all the trucks that need to stop?

A couple of years ago, the ferries were stopped by bad weather. For about 10 miles from the Kent coast, the roads were "wall to wall" full of parked trucks. We had nowhere to park up overnight, couldn't stop till we got to Norfolklines, were guided straight onto the ferry . ...... arrived in France more than 12 hours early, had to find an aire.

Some laybys around this neck of the woods have signs on them indicating "No Overnight Caravans" local bylaw, so bewarned, if the tealeaves :rolleyes:, other rogues are available, don't get you the Coppers will, or is it a traffic warden now, i haven't a clue as we only have one warden covering half of North Norfolk, and i hope he is on a pushbike :lol::lol:

It never used to bother the tree huggers or peace camp "wimim" at Greenham in the eightys, they even used to delivered their mail "beneifit cheques to them".

Travelling from Hartlepool to Stranraer in August this year, and we would quite like to set off about 8pm Saturday, and find somewhere to stop for a couple of hours' rest on the way. We will probably go A69 to Carlisle, then across on the A75. Any suggestions please?

Edited by mary ross

2003 Autotrail 635SE Mercedes Sprinter, 2011 Hyundai i10

'Life is too short to stuff a mushroom.'

Travelling from Hartlepool to Stranraer in August this year, and we would quite like to set off about 8pm Saturday, and find somewhere to stop for a couple of hours' rest on the way. We will probably go A69 to Carlisle, then across on the A75. Any suggestions please?

How about the A66 Scotch Corner to Penrith, and stop off in the services between Penrith and Carlisle? There's only a few miles of difference between using the A69 and A66.

Although I am knocking anybody who chooses to park in a layby overnight, it is something I would never do, as our caravan has fixed bunks at the rear, and I would not put my boys at risk. I shudder to think if an LGV veered out of control, even if the layby was set back from the run off lane.

I don't like parking in laybys at the best of times with all the buffeting from passing vehicles.

Sharon

Nissan X-trail 2. 2 DCi - 2005 Adria Altea 502 DK,2 well-behaved boys who I am immensely proud of!!

(Also a 1990 VW Golf Convertible, which definately does not tow anything!!!)

This post is not meant to intentionally offend anybody

Although I am knocking anybody who chooses to park in a layby overnight, it is something I would never do, as our caravan has fixed bunks at the rear, and I would not put my boys at risk. I shudder to think if an LGV veered out of control, even if the layby was set back from the run off lane.

I don't like parking in laybys at the best of times with all the buffeting from passing vehicles.

Sharon

I can understand your apprehension and it can be uncomfortable trying to sit let alone sleep with HGV buffeting. ... but has this ever happened? ie An HGV slamming into the back of a parked caravan?

Ive been away from caravanning for 20 years so am out of touch with horror stories in recent times. Back in the 70/80s HGVs didnt seem to go as fast and as close!

I know of several cases of vehicles slamming into vehicles in laybys, not necessarily caravans but I for one, wouldn't put my family in this position, even if there was a marginal risk of this happening.

To my mind, you might as well picnic in the hard shoulder of the M6. That's obviously not acceptable, so how can sleeping in a layby?

As I said, each to their own, but it is something I have never done and would never do.

Sharon

Nissan X-trail 2. 2 DCi - 2005 Adria Altea 502 DK,2 well-behaved boys who I am immensely proud of!!

(Also a 1990 VW Golf Convertible, which definately does not tow anything!!!)

This post is not meant to intentionally offend anybody

There is a Shell service station about 3 miles north of Carlisle on the M6, there is space for a number of lorries to park and I doubt if there will be any overnighters parked there on a Saturday night. You could even pull onto the new weigh bridge slip road next to it, you wont be in anyone's way and you'll be off the road too.

Jeff

Either of the suggestions received sound like possiblilites. Are there any charges for parking up at either of these, and if so, where do we go to pay?

2003 Autotrail 635SE Mercedes Sprinter, 2011 Hyundai i10

'Life is too short to stuff a mushroom.'

Either of the suggestions received sound like possiblilites. Are there any charges for parking up at either of these, and if so, where do we go to pay?

As far as I am aware, you/we can park up in the service areas for up to two hours free. There are usually notices posted to that effect.

• 2 years later...

Thats encouraging to know it still goes on. Just need to convince the wife its still safe to do it.

Maybe we should have a layby listing - resurrect 'the map'?

I do the same I love night driving its so peaceful and you can eat up the miles on a long journey. As soon as i feel that I should I start looking for a safe laybye. We have been doing it since 1990 when we fifirst started caravaning. Cup of tea in the morning and off early so as to arrive at the site at a reasonable time.

To use a site as an overnight stop means pulling in during daylite and setting up loseing hours of driving on empty roads.