Truma Crystal Water Filter

ashtons99

I have bought one of these. It was only £10 brand new in a box with spare filter, purchased at a local autojumble so I thought it was worth a go.

Before I fit it has anyone any comments good or bad regarding these. I intend to replace my existing unit fitted onto the caravan side with this one which will obviously require enlarging the aperture and a bit of re plumbing.

The idea sound good and its not too difficult a job but thought I would canvas opinion first.

I have bought one of these. It was only £10 brand new in a box with spare filter, purchased at a local autojumble so I thought it was worth a go.

Before I fit it has anyone any comments good or bad regarding these. I intend to replace my existing unit fitted onto the caravan side with this one which will obviously require enlarging the aperture and a bit of re plumbing.

The idea sound good and its not too difficult a job but thought I would canvas opinion first.

15322[/snapback]

Is it Crystal 2 or Crystal 3? I assume a Mk2 if it's a Truma as the latter are no longer manufactured. We have the identical CarverMk2. Replacement filters are retailing at about £8 - £10 but we use the Filtapac replacement. Mk 3 filters are stilll available as there are plenty kicking around.

What sort of inlet have you got now?

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

15322[/snapback]

I reckon they are more trouble than their worth. I found that the outer casing split, I think is is an inbuilt design fault, why else are replacements around. After the second replacement I discarded the filter, blacked out the screw base and left insitu. Another thing is the light caused a green growth inside the filter screw base, this despite trying to keep the door shut :angry:

I reckon they are more trouble than their worth. I found that the outer casing split, I think is is an inbuilt design fault, why else are replacements around. After the second replacement I discarded the filter, blacked out the screw base and left insitu. Another thing is the light caused a green growth inside the filter screw base, this despite trying to keep the door shut :angry:

16766[/snapback]

In fairness, we have the original Crystal 2 on our '92 Cyclone. They usually only crack the casing if you turn them past 12 o'clock.

I have used Pyramid, Carver and Filtapac filters and they all work well. Tend not to bother now as we use bottled water for tea and cooking (have you ever tasted Mansfield water?). Took the end off the filter and leave in place but sterilise 2-3 time a year. The Crystal 2 (and 3) can be installed so as to only filter the cold water and I would recommend this - no point in filtering the hot. Details of this should be in the instructions.

Given the choice, I would use a Filtapac in-line filter for the kitchen sink only.

You still haven't said what you have now.

Mike

There is a benefit in filtering ALL the water, not just the kitchen cold supply. If you've ever examined an old filter you'll realise just what you're washing in! I'm surprised manufacturers haven't thought of this.

I've fitted an extra inline filter just inboard of the Whale inlet to filter ALL the water. This reduces the flow a little so a high flow rate pump is needed to restore the status quo.

Do I dont I. .........I almost had the jigsaw to the van today to fit the unit but bottled it at the last minute.

I currently have the standard Truma Crystal compact unit with the submersible pump and single rear outlet.

I have thought about just fitting an in line cartridge type filter instead but Im in a quandry.

Is flow affected by these things.

Go on convince me one way or the other. Im off to Kelling Heath for the week on Friday so do I do it before I go or sleep on it

Most caravans have either a Crystal inlet filter or an inline filter but in both cases normally only filter the cold supply.

I fitted an EXTRA filter so that cold kitchen water is filtered twice while all other water is filtered once. In my particular scenario there is a drop in flow rate but if a conventional installation is made the pump should cope with this, IF it was up to the job before.

There is a benefit in filtering ALL the water, not just the kitchen cold supply. If you've ever examined an old filter you'll realise just what you're washing in! I'm surprised manufacturers haven't thought of this.

I've fitted an extra inline filter just inboard of the Whale inlet to filter ALL the water. This reduces the flow a little so a high flow rate pump is needed to restore the status quo.

16894[/snapback]

I assume, then, that you have a filter at home to filter ALL the water?

Mike

Do I dont I. .........I almost had the jigsaw to the van today to fit the unit but bottled it at the last minute.

I currently have the standard Truma Crystal compact unit with the submersible pump and single rear outlet.

I have thought about just fitting an in line cartridge  type filter instead but Im in a quandry.

Is flow affected by these things.

Go on convince me one way or the other. Im off to Kelling Heath for the week on Friday so do I do it before I go or sleep on it

16901[/snapback]

As I said, given the choice, I would fit an in-line filter to just the kitchen (or all cold water if you prefer). Use one with a replaceable element(eg Filtapac) as it will work out cheaper in the long run. Stick your Crystal 2 on E-Bay - you'll make a profit.

Mike

Archived