Towing Mirrors

I've had the same Raydot strap on mirrors for 20 years and having just bought a new tow car, think it's time to treat myself the strap on types for my VW Tiguan mirrors don't seem to be secure. I've had a look on the internet and think maybe a pair of the Milenco Aero mirrors might be the best.

Anyone any thoughts on these or any other makes?

Which type should I choose flat or convex or a mix of them both and why?

I just want to be able to fix them on, see behind me, and not suffer from vibration.

Or do I stick with my strap ons, since I've done a bit of DIY on them and they fit fine, but the mirror glass is suffering in one area.

I'm off to France soon and want to make sure I can see OKbehind me

Lunar Ultima 560 towed by VW Tiguan 2. 0TDi

I've had the same Raydot strap on mirrors for 20 years and having just bought a new tow car, think it's time to treat myself the strap on types for my VW Tiguan mirrors don't seem to be secure. I've had a look on the internet and think maybe a pair of the Milenco Aero mirrors might be the best.

I just want to be able to fix them on, see behind me, and not suffer from vibration.

Or do I stick with my strap ons, since I've done a bit of DIY on them and they fit fine, but the mirror glass is suffering in one area.

Hi Darrell,

I believe there was a topic on this previously and there was a lot of support for the aeros. At the moment I have the Suck and See mirrors which have the advantage of being adjustable, from the driver's seat by using your remote mirror controls as they attatch to the glass of your door mirrors. They have the disadvantage that you lose some of the use of your door mirrors and I do like to be able to use both so when I do need to change it will be the Aeros for me. Having said that the Suck and See mirrors are totally vibration free on my car ao I hope the Aeros are as good,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Here are some links to previous posts regarding mirrors have a look through you might find some thoughts there and I am sure that others here can give you advise. I use Milenco Aero Flat mirrors as I tried the covex / concave at the dealers before buying and didn't like the distortion (my own View) I haven't had any problem with vibration but have changed to the longer arms as our new van is wider and they give me a better view behind

Dave

PS spares are readily available

http://www. caravantalk. org. uk/index. php?sh. ..&hl=mirrors

Edited by dave11a

Hi Darrell,

I think the mirrors on my Touran are very similar in profile to those of your Tiguan.

I am using Pyramid mirrors, which are very similar to the Milenco brand.

Mine are the ones which have plastic thumb screws and bar to clamp onto the top edge of the mirror housing, and two rubber straps which pass round the body of the mirror and hook onto the bottom edge.

I have found these to be secure and satisfactory, subject to three provisos.

(1) To prevent slipstream effects from causing the mirrors to move vertically, their bars rotating in the clamps, I have put a small piece of wet-and-dry emery cloth, rough side to the bar, between the bar and each clamp.

(2) There is some mismatch of mirror body profile in relation to the clamps. Do not over-tighten the thumbscrews.

(3) The gap between mirror glass edges and the housing may be tight against the thumbscrew pads (mine are), so do not attempt to adjust the vehicle mirrors whilst the extension mirrors are fitted.

These comments may well also be applicable to the Milenco brand.

Hi Darrell.

I have the suck-it-&-see mirrors. I find these so much better than the ones i bought first. I love the fact they they only take seconds to put on, they don't seem to vibrate, they can be adjusted via the electric mirror adjustment and the yseem to offer me more vision down the side of my caravan than previous ones i used.

Steve

Stevie. m

s60 d5-------- 1995 Fleetwood Garland

I also have the Suckit and See ones which I really like. I think someone once told me that the flat one was for the drivers side and the convex/cave one whichever was for the n/s. Mind you I have been asleep since then so more than likely have it all wrong.

Just found this line on the Towsure site so I did not dream it.

When fitting a pair of Suck it & See mirrors, we recommend using a convex mirror on the passenger mirror and a flat mirror on the drivers' mirror

Guest tyke65

I've seen that advice but I wouldn't want different 'pictures' right and left. My aged brain doesn't work fast enough to cater for that.

I have a pair of suck-its and they stick on fine but I'm just not keen on them. The adjustment by means of the door mirror is just a nuisance, I find.

Your choice of mirror will be dictated to some extent by your car's door mirror shape. I have a Disco 3 and I use Grand Aeros.

At the end of the day, the suck-its are the only ones which will definitely work with every car on the market. Clean the door mirror carefully before fitting them.

I have stick on mirrors which I used once before stopping to remove them.

I wasn't convinced that it wasn't damaging the electric mirror motor. I once had a quote for a whole new mirror (not needed in the end) and I stopped totting up the cost when it breached £700, so it might expensive to damage the motor!!

Some Millenco Aeros have just arrived, and I'll be using them tonight for the first time.

2007 Mercedes ML63 AMG | 2008 ACE Supreme Globestar

£700 for an electric mirror, what have you got a Bugatti or something? I have just supplied and fitted a new electric mirror for one of my customers for only £95 mind you it was only a 07 plate Vectra. So many opinions, so much advice it must very very hard for people to make the choice. Best of luck with whatever you decide on.

Milenco Aero flats, I like them as they dont vibrate too much, are easy to fit, dont obscure any other mirror so still allow maximum visibility so its not a compromise, they wont damage the mirror or motor. Also the first time you fit them so long as you take them off by just undoing the screws and not bending anything, which is very very easy to do, the next time i put them on they are perfectly positioned, and dont require further modification. I can fit both mirrors accurately in under 30 seconds. ....couldnt ask for anything else

I use the Milenco's on a Landcruiser, no problem. ..

Volvo XC60 & Hobby Premium 540efu

Milenco Grand Aero mirrors on my Kia Sorento.

Best towing mirrors I have used- no vibration and no annoying snap=back when meeting an 18 wheeler coming the other way.

Not the cheapest out there but I highly recommend them.

The only issue I have had is my eldest daughter losing a rubber foot from one of them when she took them off the car. Easily replaced though for a couple of quid.

No no no no no no parking allowed in the upper field !!.

57 Kia Sorento XS Auto (nicknamed "Massey")

2009 Sterling Europa 540

Milenco Grand Aero mirrors on my Kia Sorento.

Best towing mirrors I have used- no vibration and no annoying snap=back when meeting an 18 wheeler coming the other way.

Not the cheapest out there but I highly recommend them.

The only issue I have had is my eldest daughter losing a rubber foot from one of them when she took them off the car. Easily replaced though for a couple of quid.

I use the Grand Aero Convex on my Mondeo. I have found that any towing mirror vibration depends on how solid the original mirror housing is. In my case on the Mondeo is not very solid and all the mirrors I have tried vibrate to some degree. Having said that the image in the mirror is perfectly useable and the Millenco Grand Aeros have given the best results.

Bob R

Yes I can fully recommend the Milenco Grand Areo Mirrors In my 40 odd years of caravanning I have used many different makes but these Grand Areos are most out standing

All the Best Derek

Thanks all, I now think I should buy the Milenco, but which pair the Aero or the Grand Aero. I have a VW Tiguan so anybody out there got the same mirrors on a Tiguan or similar. Having seen photos of the Aero on websites are they a bit on the small size? Also are the Grand Aero subject to vibration?

Some Millenco Aeros have just arrived, and I'll be using them tonight for the first time.

Easy enough to fit, feel well made, and visibility was good.

Still got some vibration - more so on driver's side - which was irritating as was the slightly-too-cosy bag!!

2007 Mercedes ML63 AMG | 2008 ACE Supreme Globestar

• 2 weeks later...

Got my Milenco Aero mirrors yesterday, they seem to be very high quality and they fit my Tiguan a dream. Not towed yet with them but I'm sure they will be brilliant, oh and I got them on EBay at very good price delivered to the door. They seem to be TOP Quality

I use Millenco Aeros on my X trail, ( and previously my Mazda 6) but I find that they don't go out far enough to see the rear corner of the van, they do vibrate a bit and the furthermost out bit of the mirror is rather pointed and therefor limited in view. To get anywhere near a good view I have to have the clamps faily close together as close to the outside edge of the car mirror I can and this does not help from a vibration point of view. A month after I bought them last year they brought out the Grand Aero for only a few pounds more and the option of longer arms. I may go for them. I found on the Mazda and the x trail that one of the problems is that the car mirror with a weight on is not the most stable of things.

Until a few years ago I had the old "clamp on the wing" mirrors with big mirrors, they were geat, I gather that these are no longer legal though as you can not adjust them from the drivers seat.

Can you buy Grand Aeros with longer arms rather than Grand Aeros AND longer arms. The adverts do not say.

Chris in Warwickshire, Elddis Odyssey 482 (2008), Mitsubishi Outlander diesel, 2017

<SNIP>

Can you buy Grand Aeros with longer arms rather than Grand Aeros AND longer arms. The adverts do not say.

Hi ChrisUK

I'd be interested in longer arm Grand Aeros straight from the box, but I strongly suspect the arms are an 'upgrade', all van mirrors

should be long arm and then we could choose how much arm sticks out, never catch on though, way too simple. ..

neil

Bailey S5 Pageant Auvergne & Vauxhall Signum CDTI

Thanks all, I now think I should buy the Milenco, but which pair the Aero or the Grand Aero. I have a VW Tiguan so anybody out there got the same mirrors on a Tiguan or similar. Having seen photos of the Aero on websites are they a bit on the small size? Also are the Grand Aero subject to vibration?

My comments are exactly as Twin Axle has already given you. He is spot on.

I have both, Grand Aero and the smaller Aero mirror. Definitely the best for me are the Aero (flat) for both sides of the car. I have them on the extended arms that you can get.

Look at The Caravan Shop Glasgow

http://www. thecaravanshop. co. uk/index. php

They are perfectly large enough and vibration free. The Grand Aero's (great size and view that they do give), did have some vibration problems. I suspect this could have been that I was on maximum extension as they were on the short arms, but I am very happy with the smaller Aero.

The GA's have been consigned to "just in case one gets smashed off" spares.

Roy B

Roy & Rita

Bailey Unicorn Barcelona 1 with Power Touch 4 wheel mover (February 2012) - Mercedes E320 CDI Avantgarde Auto V6 Estate