Fixed Bed Layouts With High Tv Shelf

scotsman25

Hi,

Picking up Sterling Elite Searcher this weekend. :D

Regarding the TV shelf which is up high at the end of kitchen/fixed bed. .

What size of TV can go up there?

Does anyone use a fixing bracket/arm for an LCD TV?

Any help/comment appreciated.

<p><span style="font-family:'Arial Black';">1995 Mk2 Pajero LWB 2. 8td - <strike>'04 Dart 556/6 - '</strike></span><span style="font-family:'Arial Black';"><strike>02 Sterling Elite Searcher</strike> - '07 Senator Wyoming S5 TA & 1997 ABI Award Northstar</span>

Hi,

I think the layout of our van (Swift Challenger 500se) is about the same as yours with the high level tv compartment. We use a 19" LCD TV and still have enough room to stand our Sky digi box on end by the side of the tv.

What I would suggest is you get a LCD TV with an adjustable stand so that you can tilt the top of the tv over a bit for better viewing, we bought a tv from Tesco once while on holiday and took it back the next day the only way we could watch the tv was to stand up. We bought a UMC TV from Curry's with adjustable stand and it works fine.

Hope this helps

Graham (Ponty)

Edited by Graham (Ponty)

2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4

2004 Swift Challenger 500se, PowreTouch Motor Mover

Hi - Thanks for that. I figured that the LCD being up high would be a problem. .. so UMC has a tilt forward stand. Good news. .!

Gonna opt for a 22". That should fill the space nicely.

Where do you run your co-ax for the digibox?

<p><span style="font-family:'Arial Black';">1995 Mk2 Pajero LWB 2. 8td - <strike>'04 Dart 556/6 - '</strike></span><span style="font-family:'Arial Black';"><strike>02 Sterling Elite Searcher</strike> - '07 Senator Wyoming S5 TA & 1997 ABI Award Northstar</span>

Does anyone use a fixing bracket/arm for an LCD TV?

As I understand it, Swift build in reinforcing plates where fittings are attached to during manufacture.

I would be very wary of trying to fix other items such as a TV to the walls as there may not be any plates behind where you are putting a bracket to hold such an item. Sooner or later it will fail. need I say more?

Regards

Col

1998 Swift Europa 460 (Updated a bit) Too good to change

2003 Mercedes C Class 220 CDI Too good to change

BNSF DCC model railroad

If possible check the viewing angle of the LCD panel before buying. Cheap LCD's have very poor viewing angles from beneath. So don't work well were you are below the TV.

Hi - Thanks for that. I figured that the LCD being up high would be a problem. .. so UMC has a tilt forward stand. Good news. .!

Gonna opt for a 22". That should fill the space nicely.

Where do you run your co-ax for the digibox?

Hi Scotsman25,

I bought a twin waterproof socket from our local caravan supplier http://www. maxview. co. uk/products/info_B2008. html and a lenth of coax cable, you drill a hole through the caravan side wall, our's was drilled under the fixed bed near to where the existing tv coax cable was. As I had bought a double waterproof socket I renewed the tv coax as well, I connected the new cable to the old tv cable and then pulled the old cable in the tv compartment until the new cable came through, just connect cables up to their face plugs and job done.

Hope this helps

Graham (Ponty)

Don't go drilling any holes in the side wall if its a new van, will void your water ingress warranty, you could run the co-ax cable through the a locker door or under the bed through an exit hole?

As it is a dedicated TV point there will be aerial connections already, look inside the TV locker.

NE Scotland

Unicorn Valencia pulled by Merc E280 cdi sport

Hi Scotsman 25,

I agree with rus, if it's a new van don't drill through the side wall of the caravan. Have a look inside one of the lockers, you should find the existing TV connection point, you might be able to put a connection for the sky dish in there and then run a coax cable up to the TV locker.

Graham (Ponty)

Edited by Graham (Ponty)

As always folks, comments and advice appreciated. even Blonde ones??

What kinda TV are you supposed to stick up there if not an LCD?

What size TVs can you fit up there? 17, 19 - Can you wedge a 22 in there? (my eyes are getting bad :P )

I'll avoid drilling any holes where possible.

I've got twin core coax on order with wall connectors etc. ..

I'll let you know how it goes. Ta. .

• 4 weeks later...

Just as an update. ..

Eventually got a 22" LG LCD TV up there! I used the existing arial connection from the battery box and changed it so it would link to the LNB/Dish. I put a second run of co-ax from the battery box round the front seating/chest, under the door way, over the wheel arch in the wardrobe and into the corner cabinet so I've got the option of a second sat point in the fixed bed area.

Might come in handy for the young un to play/watch tv with headphones while we're up front.

Ta. .

As I understand it, Swift build in reinforcing plates where fittings are attached to during manufacture.

I would be very wary of trying to fix other items such as a TV to the walls as there may not be any plates behind where you are putting a bracket to hold such an item. Sooner or later it will fail. need I say more?

Regards

Col

We have a 2002 Eccles Onyx with an overhead TV locker. The Philips 15" TV did not tilt forward enough to allow comfortable viewing when in bed. Having obtained a 15" Avtex, I bought the Avtex bracket (they don't have the standard 75/100mm fixings) and adapted this to fit in a sliding bracket attached to the roof of the TV locker. This has wooden struts to provide sufficient support (technical drawing kindly provided by Swift - thanks). This allows the TV to be slid backwards and forwards and rotate to face front/back and provide any viewing angle required. The digi box sits under the TV. It also allows other lightweight items to be stored there.

Mike