Satellite Tv

Not a new subject but after reading many posts on the subject I thought I'd share my experience as a total beginner of the maplin SCART sytem.

Tried the system for the first time at a site near Bordeaux in France - what a shock - it works!

All the pitches on the site were in amongst pine trees and the dish is only 39cm so I wasn't expecting much this far south (almost in Spain!) but the weather was lousy so with not much else to do I got it out to have a play with it anyway.

I've never set up a satellite system of any sort before so I had a fairly good read of the instruction book (Well the bits that seemed necessary :P !)

Set the dish up on the ground with the crescent shaped stand (It comes with pole and sucker mounts too) and plugged in the satellite finder that Maplins had sold me as an extra (£10 earphone type) had a guess at where south was from the compass rose on the campsite map and aimed just east of it. Plugged in the earphone and could hear a tone which immediately turned to a wail as I moved the dish - looked in through the van window and we had a picture! Must have found a gap through the tree tops!

Carefully steadied the dish and went inside to check it out - perfect picture quality and quite a few channels but they all seemed to be in German and no BBC or Sky news etc. Sat down and checked out the instructions and the on screen guide again and finally realised I must be on the wrong satellite - back outside, earphone in and slowly rotated further to the left - sure enough tone dropped away and then picked up again - BBC News on screen! I'd been picking up the Astra 19E satellite and was now on the Astra 28E one.

Fine tuned for the best signal strength and quality (quality more important than strength apparently) using the 'Info' button on the remote to display the strength meters on screen then pushed some pegs in to secure the dish stand and enjoyed free TV for the rest of the week despite some heavy rain and wind. (Free channels - BBC / ITV etc)

System cost £79 (on offer, normally £99) and is apparently the same as the regular Maplin Portable system with the exception of the SCART instead of the 'set top' box - does everything the normal sized box does in a package about the size of a pack of 20 cigarettes. Plugs directly into the SCART socket on the back of the set so took up no shelf space and can be left in the drawer of the van with the remote control when not in use. It comes with a mains adapter and a cigar lighter socket lead as well as it runs on 12v.

Problems: The satellite finder fits 'in line' in the coax between the dish LNB and the TV so you naturally need it near the dish to make necessary adjustments - unfortunately the threaded 'F' connectors on the ends of the coax cable are awkward to undo when you've finished setting up so it's difficult not to disturb the dish when removing the satellite finder. Apparently a push fit adapter can be used with the F connector so need to pick one up next time in Maplins. (maybe sounds more complicated than it is!)

Whole thing comes in a sturdy black plastic case.

Verdict: Excellent piece of kit! B)

The other part of our package is a Technika 15. 6" HD ready LCD TV with built in Freeview and DVD which also proved to be an excellent buy (£110 Tesco Direct On line) Very attractive set - great picture - sound seemed OK.

We did notice an apparent reduction in the viewing angle during low light scenes although this was never a problem, and something I've experienced in other compact LCD screens (Sony included).

An unexpected bonus was the discovery on taking it out of the box that it too runs on 12v. Specification only lists it as 230v.

Verdict: Excellent buy and an incredible bargain too - nothing anywhere else at anywhere near the price - eBay included! B)

Pageant 7 Bretagne - PowrTouch Mover - Kampa Rally 390 - Chrysler Grand Voyager - Hyundai Tucson

Well done, glad it all worked for you ok. Theres no great mystery to it and once you've done it a few times, you soon get the hang of it. Check out which way other dishes are pointing on your way to your pitch, you'll be setting up without the Sat finder in 10 mins once you get going. :)

I have the other kit, with the STB and it too works just fine, we recently purchased a 19" LCD TV with Freeview and DVD with Divx. This means I can put as many as 6 films on a standard 4. 5Gb dvd with no real loss of quality. Top stuff.

A little tip for you.

Start with your dish pointing East NOT South. Then all you do is slowly turn it towards the South and the Astra at 28. 2 will be the first satellite you find. That way you wont have to go past the others and possibly get the wrong one. It works for me every time.

A little tip for you.

Start with your dish pointing East NOT South. Then all you do is slowly turn it towards the South and the Astra at 28. 2 will be the first satellite you find. That way you wont have to go past the others and possibly get the wrong one. It works for me every time.

Hi,

This good advice is particularly relevant with certain types of decoder which have to be rebooted if they log onto the wrong sat which is a nuisance,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Hi Empee, been on Maplin website found two £99 systems with 39cm dishes for use when camping can you let me know which one you have.

Regards

Brianinhull :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blue '07 X Trail Aventura 2. 2dci, S7 Pageant Provence + Truma MK2 Original Mover, Blue Kampa Rally 390 Awning.

An unexpected bonus was the discovery on taking it out of the box that it too runs on 12v. Specification only lists it as 230v

Be careful if it states 12 volt as the caravan electrics will be at 13. 8 volts or more when the charger is operating. What does the transformer supplied with set state on the label? Some TVs are sensitive to excess voltage which may reduce the screen life or, worse, blow the set.

Push on F adaptors can be fitted to the dish end of the co-ax lead and the LNB end of the meter lead making it easy to disconnect the meter after setting up.

Brianinhull

I've just checked (over and over again!) and it doesn't seem to be there! :huh:

The nearest seems to be http://www. maplin. co. uk/Module. aspx?ModuleNo=48737

This is not the SCART system but checking the manual pdf it appears to be the same manufacturer (the remote looks the same) and have similar mounting attachment options.

That is very strange as i researched it on the Maplin site and then bought it around the 20th April at my local shop which were listed as having 14 in stock at that time. (Chester) It just doesn't seem to be on the site anymore.

You'll have to speak to Maplin.

Good advice on finding the satellite Meister

I'll do a bit of research before I attempt plugging directly into the 12v then Beejay! :o

Pageant 7 Bretagne - PowrTouch Mover - Kampa Rally 390 - Chrysler Grand Voyager - Hyundai Tucson

Brianinhull

I've just checked (over and over again!) and it doesn't seem to be there! :huh:

The nearest seems to be http://www. maplin. co. uk/Module. aspx?ModuleNo=48737

This is not the SCART system but checking the manual pdf it appears to be the same manufacturer (the remote looks the same) and have similar mounting attachment options.

That is very strange as i researched it on the Maplin site and then bought it around the 20th April at my local shop which were listed as having 14 in stock at that time. (Chester) It just doesn't seem to be on the site anymore.

You'll have to speak to Maplin.

Good advice on finding the satellite Meister

I'll do a bit of research before I attempt plugging directly into the 12v then Beejay! :o

I have never come across any equipment damaged by the 13. 8v if it was designed for a 12v car battery use and believe me I have and have had lots of such equipment.

Bailey Pageant Monarch Series 5 2004

I have never come across any equipment damaged by the 13. 8v if it was designed for a 12v car battery use and believe me I have and have had lots of such equipment.

I think beejay was right with the caution Harry - the TV is 230v and that's the only figure listed in the spec, it was my discovery on unpacking it that the power socket on the TV says 12v on it, but that is via the supplied 230v transformer. I'll need to try and research what leeway there is in that figure. It certainly looks promising that it may be possible to run the TV without electric hook up though.

Martin

I think beejay was right with the caution Harry - the TV is 230v and that's the only figure listed in the spec, it was my discovery on unpacking it that the power socket on the TV says 12v on it, but that is via the supplied 230v transformer. I'll need to try and research what leeway there is in that figure. It certainly looks promising that it may be possible to run the TV without electric hook up though.

Martin

So the tv runs on a 12v step down transformer.

Ive ran 3 exactly the same way (and still do), on and off hook up via 12v, and never had a single problem despite none of the tv's being advertised as 12v.

In Consilio Sapienta

tn_gallery_1122_263_6791.jpg

So the tv runs on a 12v step down transformer.

Ive ran 3 exactly the same way (and still do), on and off hook up via 12v, and never had a single problem despite none of the tv's being advertised as 12v.

My post used the word may. Actually, you don't know if the screen life will be shortened until it fails but you will certainly be aware of the set not working. Whilst you and many others have had no apparent problems some people have reported such. If there is a mains supply it would wiser to use the transformer supplied with the set. If the van is not on an EHU then the battery output will be limited to 12. 6 volts maximum and create no problem. It is the charger that MAY cause problems, some can rise to 15+ volts output. Unfortunately, budget electronics tend to use budget components and Teknica is a budget TV.

I have an 8" LCD Freeview digital/analogue TV rated at 13. 8 volts input with a transformer rated at 13. 8 volts. It is designed for use in a vehicle and supplied with a cigar lighter lead. It's for sale if anybody is interested, works in Europe as well.

This is not the SCART system but checking the manual pdf it appears to be the same manufacturer

Are you sure there is no scart? Never seen a satellite receiver without a scart output (or two) and I've seen a lot.

The Maplin/Lidl/Aldi sets are usually re-badged German Comag SL35 sets.

Are you sure there is no scart? Never seen a satellite receiver without a scart output (or two) and I've seen a lot.

The Maplin/Lidl/Aldi sets are usually re-badged German Comag SL35 sets.

He is talking about the Maplin system where the receiver is combined into the Scart plug that goes into the set. The whole this is about the size of a very small tub of Flora and has a magic eye out on a piece of wire to work the remote contol, because the receiver is hiding behind the tv plugged in the scart socket. It is a super bit of kit. I've bought two sets, one for us and one for No. 1 son. :D

It's gone off of the Web site now. They had piles in our local Maplins, but they disappeared very quickly, because people, like me, were buying them in more that one's. Perhaps it will reappear when or if they get more stock. Or perhaps it was a one off.

Edited by SuperMike

Regards

SuperMike

together with

Management and Lady Faith Finesse, who is a Black & Tan Cavalier KCS - Gorgeous Girl, and my wife is as well.

Sedona 2. 9TDi - Swift Conqueror 645 LUX

CAVALIERS ARE LIKE SUNSHINE, THEY BRIGHTEN UP YOUR DAY.

Aldi are doing a satellite system on Thursday 21st May for £65.

Mains/12V, complete with dish and hard carry case.

Details are in the `Specialbuy`, but not on-line yet.

One question I have is will it work with a TV that does not have a scart socket (or any line in).

Aldi are doing a satellite system on Thursday 21st May for £65.

Mains/12V, complete with dish and hard carry case.

Details are in the `Specialbuy`, but not on-line yet.

One question I have is will it work with a TV that does not have a scart socket (or any line in).

No, you will need a modulator. http://www. maplin. co. uk/module. aspx?moduleno=33050

Regards

SuperMike

together with

Management and Lady Faith Finesse, who is a Black & Tan Cavalier KCS - Gorgeous Girl, and my wife is as well.

Sedona 2. 9TDi - Swift Conqueror 645 LUX

CAVALIERS ARE LIKE SUNSHINE, THEY BRIGHTEN UP YOUR DAY.

He is talking about the Maplin system where the receiver is combined into the Scart plug that goes into the set. The whole this is about the size of a very small tub of Flora and has a magic eye out on a piece of wire to work the remote contol, because the receiver is hiding behind the tv plugged in the scart socket. It is a super bit of kit. I've bought two sets, one for us and one for No. 1 son. :D

It's gone off of the Web site now. They had piles in our local Maplins, but they disappeared very quickly, because people, like me, were buying them in more that one's. Perhaps it will reappear when or if they get more stock. Or perhaps it was a one off.

Can't imagine they won't continue the product - it was obviously a great success, took mine from a big pile of them in the centre of our local Maplins. Does seem strange that they've vanished from the site though instead of just being listed as out of stock.

Beejay - You're right - it is a Comag.

A little tip for you.

I can echo this it works for me every time, we use a Multimo mini dish.

Steve

A little tip for you.

Good idea which I had not thought of. I always seem to latch on 19E, or one of the others whilst swinging the dish round from the south. Mine doesn't need to be rebooted, but it will probably be quicker by your suggested method.

Bailey Pageant Monarch Series 5 2004

Good idea which I had not thought of. I always seem to latch on 19E, or one of the others whilst swinging the dish round from the south. Mine doesn't need to be rebooted, but it will probably be quicker by your suggested method.

Because the Sky signal is weak in comparison to the satellite next to it, if you overshoot you will get a very strong tone on the wrong signal.

As the Sky satellite is very close to the next one which is just a little way further south it is easy to miss the Sky one, I use a tone meter in line with the LNB with the signal gain set to give the maximum sound. Set the azimuth to about 23 deg and then by slowly turning the disk East to South the very first tone you get as you approach the sothern sky is the Sky satellite.

Then by adjusting the gain/sensitivity on the signal meter and tweaking the dish alignment from the initial position it takes minutes to get it sorted.

The process is far quicker than I ever did trying to line up a terrestrial aerial on a pole.

Steve

• 5 weeks later...

In case anyone was interested Maplins had both suitcase systems on their website this morning & we looked at both versions at the Thurrock branch

Bought the one that is recommended on this thread!

In case anyone was interested Maplins had both suitcase systems on their website this morning & we looked at both versions at the Thurrock branch

Bought the one that is recommended on this thread!

Just checked the web site and the SCART kit is still not there.