Caen Ferry Port

Now that the Portmouth-Caen ferry is departing at 8am rather than 9am, has anyone used the CM Les Peupliers at Ouistreham and do they now open the gate an hour earlier to allow units off site in time to catch same?

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

We stayed at Camping Municipal Les Pommiers in mid March on our way home from Spain. The gates of this site were not opened until 7. 00am (by the guardien in his pyjamas!!) That said you are only 5 mins from port. We were told by Brittany Ferries that we could stay on the port after the last ferry had left around about 11. 00pm.

Volvo V70/Lunar Clubman 475/2 CKW

On our return to Blighty, we arrive at the port of Caen around midnight'ish security tells us to get into one of the lines usaually behind two or three other returning brits, drop the legs then jump into bed until the departure office opens around six.

• 3 weeks later...

Renewing this thread to see if anyone recently returned has stopped at the CM on the way home.

Brittany Ferry website say you can park for upto 72 hours on car park, however they do say that it is at your own risk. Im not sure which car park they mean, probably the check in car park, prior to the final marshalling area, they may have lanes for stop overs.

I am using the Oustrieham CM Les Pommiers on the 17th June as we arrive in at 19. 30 so will let you know what time the gates open as we will be off first thing.

We are returning on the 7th July 08. 00 ferry and intend staying on the port car park on the night of the 6th July from about 19. 00 hours.

I have the Caen office telphone number so will give them a call, to clarify parking area and facilities. When do you go MalH.

Regards

Brianinhull

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blue '07 X Trail Aventura 2. 2dci, S7 Pageant Provence + Truma MK2 Original Mover, Blue Kampa Rally 390 Awning.

We are returning on the 7th July 08. 00 ferry and intend staying on the port car park on the night of the 6th July from about 19. 00 hours.

I have the Caen office telphone number so will give them a call, to clarify parking area and facilities. When do you go MalH.

Regards

Brianinhull

I will be very interested if you succeed with this, at this time of year the port will be very busy, we were there in winter, not another 'van in site and were politely told to go away and, if we wished to do so, to return after 11 pm and we would be able to park up in the marshalling lines after the check in booths. There are 3 or 4 parking bays just before the port area that were occupied by French motorhomes, but I doubt if these bays would be big enough to accept even the smallest car/caravan outfit.

That's the problem from my past observation. There's nowhere close by to park until the night ferry has left. Who wants to turn up at that hour unless travelling some way? So the CM is the answer, provided that they open the gates by 6. 30 am, otherwise it'll have to be Haute Couteurs (which we dislike) or Ranville where I believe the barrier is code operated. We travel in Sept.

I don't know if their access/exit policy changes during the high season but the gates at CM Ouisterham did'nt open until spot on 7 am in March this year. The site has a good number of "residents" and they were already queuing up to exit when we joined the queue to leave at about 6. 45am. I had some concern about this late departure our ferry was sailing at 8 am. However it was only a 5 minute drive to the port and we were in plenty of time. Hope this may give a bit of re-assurance.

Edited by Clubman

We have used this site many times on crossing, the managers changed two years ago and seem much better than the old ones, they open the gates at any ferry arrival/departure, we have never experianced any problems.

Has anyone used the CM at Ranville recently? What's the barrier situation there?

Hi Malh, talked to Brittany Ferries and advised that there was only car parking available at the terminal, but the Municipal Pommiers kept pitches in reserve for caravanners travelling with them.

I talked to the lady (who speaks excellent english) at Pommiers this afternoon to book a pitch for the 17/6 but she said not to bother as there is plenty of pitches, but recommended I make reservation for return on night of 6/7 as it will start to get busy from 1/7.

I also talked to Camping des Capucines in Ranville, i was considering this option to, and barrier code is required, barrier opens 06. 00 & 24. 00 forgot to ask if code works between these hours or at anytime you past through barrier tel no. 0033231781694.

Regards

Brianinhull

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blue '07 X Trail Aventura 2. 2dci, S7 Pageant Provence + Truma MK2 Original Mover, Blue Kampa Rally 390 Awning.

That's the problem from my past observation. There's nowhere close by to park until the night ferry has left. Who wants to turn up at that hour unless travelling some way? So the CM is the answer, provided that they open the gates by 6. 30 am, otherwise it'll have to be Haute Couteurs (which we dislike) or Ranville where I believe the barrier is code operated. We travel in Sept.

I 've heard that Haute Coutures are now operating a two night minimum booking.

we've stayed on the dock side at Caen the last 2 years, both as we arrive in the evening on the afternoon ferry and again in the evening as we wait for the next days morning ferry. On both occasions this was during the school holidays so peak period. We never had a problem finding a space in the car park immediately outside the terminal building - very convienent to use the facilities in the building itself.

we've stayed on the dock side at Caen the last 2 years, both as we arrive in the evening on the afternoon ferry and again in the evening as we wait for the next days morning ferry. On both occasions this was during the school holidays so peak period. We never had a problem finding a space in the car park immediately outside the terminal building - very convienent to use the facilities in the building itself.

Hi, do you park in the marshalling area in front of terminal building or the car park on the left of terminal building, I was told there were only car parking bays, as in my previous post. I have been on google sat. view and only area seems to be the hatched area in car park adjacent to the first two marshalling lanes that is suitable for car & caravan.

We arrive at 19. 30 in Caen and have now decided to stay at Municipal, but would love to stay at port for return, 19. 00/20. 00 for the next day 08. 00 ferry in July.

Lets know where so, I can chase it up tomorrow or Friday with Brittany Ferries in UK and again with them in France. I told them I had conflicting reports of people staying on the port and of people being moved on until after the last ferry, he confirmed that after last ferry OK, but only room for cars in car park, he spoke very quickly in french at first then in reasonable slow english, so that why I would like to recheck again.

Regards

Brianinhull.

If BF had left the departure time at 0900 we wouldn't be having this discussion! The CM used to open its gate at 0730, perfect for this ferry but now it's 0800 they seem to have 'granted' only an extra 30 mins for the gate opening. I too am coming round to the idea of staying on the port and would be v interested to know how others get on in the weeks ahead. Otherwise we may try Ranville as I don't want to be panicking to get off the CM if they don't open up on time - BF's latest check in is supposedly 07. 15 which allows very little margin for error.

See my initial post - I would'nt be too concerned re booking in time for BF. The journey time from CM to ferry port is about 5 mins. In March, when the port was reasonably busy, vehicles were still checking and joining the boarding queues well after 7. 30am. I am still interested in who parks up on the ferry port itself. As already mentioned there are only car parking bays marked out at the port, if you decided to risk an overnight stay, before last evening ferry sailing, and not impede traffic flow, you would be taking up 5 or so car bays - surely an invitation for an late evening/earlly morning knock from monsieur le guardien to move on.

when we've parked its always been in the main carpark of the terminal (on the left as you exit the port after leaving the ship). We have always managed to get against the left handside of the car park as you look out from the terminal where there are parking bays end to end. Last year there were a number of cars and caravans (at least 6) parked to the left of the booths, prior to going through them, before the marshalling lanes

I 've heard that Haute Coutures are now operating a two night minimum booking.

They didn't have a problem with us booking two single night stays for our planned (and now cancelled due to health reasons) french trip this summer. We just used the online booking, have confirmation e-mails etc.

We used CM Ouistreham last in the summer of 2006, didn't like it at all. Needed two powerleads joined to get electricity, and had the local "yoofs" tooling around our outfit until a swift "**** off" at about 2. 00am made them ***** off. We'd much prefer to use HC even if it is a few km's further on. CM Ouistreham was the sort of site where we just wanted to get rolling the following day, and I'm convinced we would have slept better at the port. In fact on the refturn journey we cancelled at CM Ouistreham and booked at short notice into HC without a problem.

"Scars are souvenirs you never loose"

2010 Swift Charisma Freestyle 550 + 2007 Nissan Pathfinder Aventura.

• 3 weeks later...
They didn't have a problem with us booking two single night stays for our planned (and now cancelled due to health reasons) french trip this summer. We just used the online booking, have confirmation e-mails etc.

We used CM Ouistreham last in the summer of 2006, didn't like it at all. Needed two powerleads joined to get electricity, and had the local "yoofs" tooling around our outfit until a swift "**** off" at about 2. 00am made them ***** off. We'd much prefer to use HC even if it is a few km's further on. CM Ouistreham was the sort of site where we just wanted to get rolling the following day, and I'm convinced we would have slept better at the port. In fact on the refturn journey we cancelled at CM Ouistreham and booked at short notice into HC without a problem.

Just been reading on PC forum that CM Ouistreham is very noisey.

As I have prebooked this site should I cancel an try one of the others?

Sam

Hyundai Terracan pulling a Burstner Trecento 530 easily
I thought I saw a light at the end of the tunnel, but it was somone with a torch

Just been reading on PC forum that CM Ouistreham is very noisey.

As I have prebooked this site should I cancel an try one of the others?

Sam

The choice is yours. It is (in my opinion) noisy, but that is only to be expected given that it is literally just of the main road through the town, and that is part of the convienience of the site. My issue was with site security (or lack of) that resulted in teenagers being able to tool around the site. We had a very disrupted night and still had to drive 200 miles or so the following day, so was not a happy bunny. Concerns increased by the bikes on the car etc, but we did notice the presence of the localpolice regularly on the site during the evening, so perhaps that should have rung some alarm bells.

Strangely my parents always use the CM if they do a Caen crossing, but then they think more than E20 per night is an expensive site. Maybe we were just fussy.

"Scars are souvenirs you never loose"

2010 Swift Charisma Freestyle 550 + 2007 Nissan Pathfinder Aventura.

Hi just back from france yesterday, we stayed at the Municipal Pommiers in Ouistreham onthe 17th June for one night along with 4 others who came off the 19. 30 ferry, had no problems the area had 6 other units staying overnight for the 08. 00 ferry next morning. Most of the of the people had stayed there on previous occasions and seemed happy with the security, though facilities are'nt brilliant they were kept clean.

On return we stayed 3 nights - 4,5 & 6th July the site was becoming busier each day with lots of french children groups camping to the rear of area allocated to the people using site as stopover for the ferry, however they were well behaved and polite, though a little boisterious as children are.

Cost per night with 10 amp electrics 14 euros in june and 16 euros in july including taxes.

We did go down to the port for a look around and found 2 units and a number of camper vans in the car park adjacent to marshalling lanes this was about 20. 00 hours.

The night of the 6th july some fellow campers we met at Benodet travelled and arrived at 22. 00 and parked on road in marked bays until 23. 00 hours and then were allowed to park in the marshalling bays and were given a wake up knock at 06. 00 by the site security :o .

Regards

Brianinhull :)

Thanks guys

I have prebooked 2 nights at Oustreham, but wonder if it would be better at Ranville

Sam

Hyundai Terracan pulling a Burstner Trecento 530 easily
I thought I saw a light at the end of the tunnel, but it was somone with a torch

I said I would report back on the opening time at Municipal Pommiers. Morning of 18th June caravans were leaving site at 06. 55, on 4th and 5th July caravans around us were on the move at about 6. 40 - 07. 00 and on morning of 6th when we left, caravans were leaving from 06. 30 we left at about 06. 45 and were on the port and checked in by 07. 50. Local customs were making random inspections of caravans and motorhomes, the van next to us was a 2 berth Iona and the custom officer checked the toilet and wardrobe. At 07. 15 we were sent through to the embarkation marshalling area adjacent to the ferry and started loading at 07. 30.

The thing everyone seemed to remark on both on the outward and return journey was the lack of number of vans and homes travelling and that some site they had visited there were only 3 or 4 units on site.

Though this was our first time towing abroad I cannot say myself what the state of play is compared to previous years, but I did notice the increase in Dutch and German vans/mhomes from 1st July, then on 3rd July a marked increase in French vans/mhomes and camping trailers on the road.

I was told by caravanners on the rally at La Bohat that you can be delayed at Ranville if the bridge is raised, to allow boats through.

Brianinhull

Edited by brianinhull

• 4 weeks later...

As there's been no recent postings on this subject, I wonder if any recent returnees have more up to date info?