Jacking With A Twin Mover

sparkylee

We are picking up our new Fleetwood Heritage twin-axle on Saturday. It has an all-wheel drive Powrmover (powrtouch) already fitted which drives both front and back wheels and according to their website this means that the Al-ko side jacking bracket needs to be removed and "an alternative method of jacking found".

Unfortunately the caravan is 100 miles away so we can't go and look at it - but wondered if anyone else had encountered this combination - we need to be able to jack not just for flat tyres but also to locate the Al-ko wheel secures and to level using blocks.

Thoughts????

Lee

We are picking up our new Fleetwood Heritage twin-axle on Saturday. It has an all-wheel drive Powrmover (powrtouch) already fitted which drives both front and back wheels and according to their website this means that the Al-ko side jacking bracket needs to be removed and "an alternative method of jacking found".

Unfortunately the caravan is 100 miles away so we can't go and look at it - but wondered if anyone else had encountered this combination - we need to be able to jack not just for flat tyres but also to locate the Al-ko wheel secures and to level using blocks.

Thoughts????

Lee

Hi Sparkylee,

I have a newish Bailey S7 Pageant twin axle caravan with an Alko chassis have the same situation as yourself. My pre-drilled fixing points for the jacking brackets to be fitted for the Alko or Kojak types are covered by the Powrtouch mover.

For the moment (I am still looking for something more secure), I use a small 2ton capacity bottle jack. I have two Secure Alko wheel locks so have to jack up the caravan to line up the second wheel. The bottle jack is really easy to position and it takes the van up with little effort. I will have to use the bottle jack if I get a puncture. Not sure of the implications If both tyres on one side were to go. Would it fit under the chassis in this situation (or would any other jack in this situation)

I don't know yet if it is possible for an alternative set of location holes to be drilled in order to have the secure fixing brackets fitted to the chassis where they can be accesed by a purpose designed caravan jack. It is a question I intend to ask of Alko or my caravan dealer who supplied the van.

Roy & Rita

Bailey Unicorn Barcelona 1 with Power Touch 4 wheel mover (February 2012) - Mercedes E320 CDI Avantgarde Auto V6 Estate

Hi Sparkylee,

I have a newish Bailey S7 Pageant twin axle caravan with an Alko chassis have the same situation as yourself. My pre-drilled fixing points for the jacking brackets to be fitted for the Alko or Kojak types are covered by the Powrtouch mover.

For the moment (I am still looking for something more secure), I use a small 2ton capacity bottle jack. I have two Secure Alko wheel locks so have to jack up the caravan to line up the second wheel. The bottle jack is really easy to position and it takes the van up with little effort. I will have to use the bottle jack if I get a puncture. Not sure of the implications If both tyres on one side were to go. Would it fit under the chassis in this situation (or would any other jack in this situation)

I don't know yet if it is possible for an alternative set of location holes to be drilled in order to have the secure fixing brackets fitted to the chassis where they can be accesed by a purpose designed caravan jack. It is a question I intend to ask of Alko or my caravan dealer who supplied the van.

At which point on the chassis do you place the bottle jack ?

Hi Sparkylee,

Do not even consider drilling your chassis. Regarding your Powertouch, look out for a van fitted with Reich movers and take note of the jacking points that are fitted to the rear motor cross tube (that is of course if they had, had them fitted). If you think that you could adapt that idea, ring Reich make out you have got their movers and order a pair of their jacking brackets. The brackets are designed to take the Alko jack, but I have modified mine to take a Kojack.

Regards
Terry Birch
The tourer days are over, we now have an Hobby D500 GESC.