Horses For Courses!!!!!!!

Guest Robin

My wife an I took delivery of our new Bailey in October 04. Having read all about this animal in various mag's it seemed that it was the best thing since sliced bread. We went away for a Christmas and New Year meet for the first time and as my title suggests, its horses for courses. Having had Abbey GTS Vogues, we found ourselves continually comparing a mid range caravan built by one manufacturer with the top of the range caravan built by another manufacturer. One man's meat is another's poison, and we surely do not like the series 5 whatsoever, to the extent that it goes in next week and we are collecting our new Abbey GTS Vogue. The Bailey is value for money and we did like the the kitchen in it but that was about all. In fairness, one cannot compare two caravan's with a price difference of about £3000. 00 and the difference is outstandinly noticeable the second one enters the 'van. We ordered a brand new cover for this series 5 from Purple Line, the only suppier that Bailey reccomend which has not even been out of the box which is still sealed at the moment. So if you're an avid Bailey follower as we are with Abbey, there is only a few day's before we part with our series 5 Moselle and sell the cover. Happy caravanning to all.

Hope you continue long and happy caravanning with your new Abbey.

As you say, caravans like houses and cars are very much an issue of personal preference and the £3k difference in price will make a big difference.

We changed our Coachman Oasis for a Moselle 04 last year and overall we're quite happy with it.

We liked many aspects of the Coachman and disliked others, and we have found the same with the Bailey.

There are some nice features in the Bailey, like the spacious worksurfaces in the kitchen area, and the safety covers over the windows when the bunks are up.

We miss the build quality of the Coachman, particularly in the washroom.

It is likely that we would have considered another Coachman if our towcar had been more powerful, but now we have the Bailey we intend to keep it.

This may be a difficult question, but were there any specific area you disliked, or was it the general overall feel of the Bailey ?

If the differences where so obvious that you decided to sell after one trip, shouldn't you have noticed these differences when you looked at demonstrator caravans at the Bailey dealer?

Examination of demonstator models from the same range, even if the exact model isn't available, should give you the chance to make accurate assessments between caravans.

If the differences where so obvious that you decided to sell after one trip, shouldn't you have noticed these differences when you looked at demonstrator caravans at the Bailey dealer?

Examination of demonstator models from the same range, even if the exact model isn't available, should give you the chance to make accurate assessments between caravans.

1117[/snapback]

Hi, It is easy to make assumptions but when one reads in mags that the Bailey is only the second caravan to be awarded 10/10 makes you think that its out of this world. But it is like going on holiday to say Cornwall, it seems fantastic whilst on holiday there but I've heard so many times from so many people that its not until one has taken the plunge and worn the tee shirt so to speak that you realise all the pitfalls and digest what you really have. Don't get me wrong, the Bailey is a nice 'van but just not for us. Some of the niggling differences such as the seating in the diner area is not sprung and not very comfortable at all, its just foam folded over which doubles for a half baked mattress, no slats for the bed either, one has to use the diner table which again doubles up for a dual purpose. If we had the opportunity to have taken this van out for a weekend and actually put it to use it would have saved us a lot of money. I have known many a person that has bought either a pair of shoes, an article of clothing or anything else for that matter and tried whatever on in the shop and then got home and had second thoughts and gone back and got a refund or changed it, women are notorious for this, no offence meant, you or a member of your family have probably done something similiar with regards to shop goods at sometime or another, a caravan is no different other than costing more money. When going around looking at different caravan manufacturers, to many manufacturers and models to list, its easy to make rash statements but its almost impossible to remember each and every single detail of each and every single caravan manufacturer and every model is not possible. Happy caravanning.

Hope you continue long and happy caravanning with your new Abbey.

As you say, caravans like houses and cars are very much an issue of personal preference and the £3k difference in price will make a big difference.

We changed our Coachman Oasis for a Moselle 04 last year and overall we're quite happy with it.  

We liked many aspects of the Coachman and disliked others, and we have found the same with the Bailey.

There are some nice features in the Bailey, like the spacious worksurfaces in the kitchen area, and the safety covers over the windows when the bunks are up.

We miss the build quality of the Coachman, particularly in the washroom.

It is likely that we would have considered another Coachman if our towcar had been more powerful, but now we have the Bailey we intend to keep it.

This may be a difficult question, but were there any specific area  you disliked, or was it the general overall feel of the Bailey ?

1106[/snapback]

Hi, Many thanks for your comments. May you also have many years of safe and happy caravanning.

As to your question, don't get me wrong, the Bailey is a nice van but not for us. They have skimped in the diner area and doubled using the seating as a half baked mattress as well, not very comfortable to sit on or lay on. No slats for the bed, skimped again by using the diner table for a dual function. Red upholstery and green carpets, how's that for colour co-ordination!!!. Build quality as you suggested compared to your previous Coachman is another issue. Its like going on holiday to Cornwal and saying wow. But it isn't until you live there that you can truly see if its what you want and see any pitfalls. Until you actuall have owned and used a commodity its is difficult to say 100% if its right for you. Looking at a caravan or car or whatever in a showroom is one issue, taking it out on the road is another. It's like buying something from Marks and Spencer and even after having tried it on in the shop when you get home you decide you don't really like it so back it goes for a refund or change. A caravan is no different other than it cost more money. Its all well and good to say, 'you tried it on in the shop' but we are all human and I always have owned up to my mistakes. I've yet to meet the man that has never made one!!!! Anyway, I hope that this answers your question, all the best and happy and safe caravanning always. Rob.

Magazines print "independent" tests of caravans simply to promote caravans because this increases their advertising revenue from caravan manufacturers. This applies to CC Magazine, Practical Caravan and Caravan. When did you last read a magazine review that was realistically critical?

Design quality, component quality and general suitability of layout for your own purposes should be obvious in the initial examination.

If you're spending your own money, only your opinion counts.

When selecting a new caravan, I assemble a short list by going round all the possibilities and then go back to the selected few at a quiet time of week and just sit in them for an hour or so. This gives the chance to mentally go through everything like eating, sleeping, cooking etc and physically checking everything out.

No Robin, none of my family or friends takes things back to shops just because we've changed our minds, only if they're faulty. If you regard this as normal, and extend it to a caravan, presumably you might also change your mind about a house you've just bought! Most of us can't afford to be so vague when making financial decisions.