Leisure Battery

Yossa

My Carver mover isn't working!

I thought that the battery might be the problem, so I had it checked by a garage and it's reading just over 9v across the terminals. Now the garage reckons that 9v is ok but I still have my doubts, so does 9v mean the battery is ok or not?

Yossa

2007 Mondeo 2. 2 TDCi & 2003 Bailey Pageant Bordeaux

Yossa

Take a look at this:

http://www. campingandcaravanningclub. co. uk/technical. htm

Anything less than 11. 8v and the battery is completely discharged.

Sorry - link didn't work but if you go to the data sheets there's one for battery care.

Regards

David, Callum and Connor (NRF)

Hi David, Callum and Connor (NRF)

Many thanks for the reply, thats just what I was looking for. It didn't occur to me to look on the CCC and CC websites, even though I'm a member of both clubs (how stupid am I!).

Yossa

Hi

I would have thought 9v reading would indicate a dead cell even a flat battery would read more than that if it was to recover with a charger. Not an expert just my opinion.

Dave

Hi

I would have thought 9v reading would indicate a dead cell even a flat battery would read more than that if it was to recover with a charger. Not an expert just my opinion.

Dave

14984[/snapback]

Dave,

Thanks for the reply, I thought that myself. Now here's the strange thing, this is the third battery (two leisure & one car) that has given up the ghost after being put on charge off the vehicle. So I'm not going to charge anything up on the charger that I'm using before I get it checked out. The charger's only just over two years old so I wouldn't have expected it to be faulty.

Yossa

Yossa could be the charger cooking the battery. I always use a trickle charger called OPTIMATE 111 that i use on my motorbike it constantly monitors the battery and keeps it full conditioned.

Dave

Dave

I better not mention the make of the charger in question, but the charger is labelled 'fully automatic' and 'safeguards battery against overcharging'. The charger has two lights on it, one that shows the battery is 'charging' and the second shows the battery 'ready & maintaining'. I think that I will open a new topic asking for recommendations for battery chargers.

Yossa

Yossa could be the charger cooking the battery. I always use a trickle charger called OPTIMATE 111 that i use on my motorbike it constantly monitors the battery and keeps it full conditioned.

Dave

14991[/snapback]

I too use the Optimate 3 for my bike BUT it is not reccomended for batteries greater than 28amphours

For bigger batteries use their sister product called the Accumate and even this is only for batteries up to 75 amphours see their web site:-

http://www. accumate. co. uk/it010001. html

Ted

Discovery 4 XS SDV6 and Airstream 532 plus 1996 MGF owned since new.

I too use the Optimate 3 for my bike BUT it is not reccomended for batteries greater than 28amphours

For bigger batteries use their sister product called the Accumate and even this is only for batteries up to 75 amphours see their web site:-

http://www. accumate. co. uk/it010001. html

Ted

14995[/snapback]

Ted.

I stand corrected should have read the small print, anyway does a good job on the bike battery, thought it might do all.

Dave

I use a charger made by Selmar,its a two stage charger ie the first stage is a booster to cause gassing and cleaning of the lead plates the second is a trickle charge,then it goes onto stand by. It is one of the few chargers wich can fully charge a liesure battery.

And its got 5 led`s

Dave

I better not mention the make of the charger in question, but the charger is labelled 'fully automatic' and 'safeguards battery against overcharging'. The charger has two lights on it, one that shows the battery is 'charging' and the second shows the battery 'ready & maintaining'. I think that I will open a new topic asking for recommendations for battery chargers.

Yossa

14992[/snapback]

Go on - name it! :D

I use a charger made by Selmar,its a two stage charger ie the first stage is a booster to cause gassing and cleaning of the lead plates the second is a trickle charge,then it goes onto stand by. It is one of the few chargers wich can fully charge a liesure battery.

And its got 5 led`s

14998[/snapback]

Most standard 5amp battery chargers will fully charge any 12v battery as long as the output voltage is over 14. 5v on load. It will just take much longer to charge a high amp/hr battery. Low current charging will fully charge a battery and do less harm than boost charging. :)

I have a 5amp charger that is at least 30years old and a 4amp that I bought 12years ago for £4. 95.

Frank

Ted.

I stand corrected should have read the small print, anyway does a good job on the bike battery, thought it might do all.

Dave

14997[/snapback]

Dave - I only found out when I ***** my Optimate using it on the MGF - only a small car but with one enormous battery - electric power steering needs a large current.

At the moment I use one of Halfords cheapo jobs to stop the alarm draining the battery - seems to work OK BUT I don't think it would be man enough for a 110 Ah leisure battery.

Discovery 4 XS SDV6 and Airstream 532 plus 1996 MGF owned since new.

My Carver mover isn't working!

I thought that the battery might be the problem, so I had it checked by a garage and it's reading just over 9v across the terminals. Now the garage reckons that 9v is ok but I still have my doubts, so does 9v mean the battery is ok or not?

Yossa

14967[/snapback]

Hi Yossa

Reading the posts are not helping you identifing the problem.

First you need a cheap multi meter about £ 10-00, try Maplins as they have one on offer.

(1) if the battery reads (9 volt it could be totaly flat or 1 or 2 cells nackerd

Top up the battery with water, . plug in the chager and test the voltage at the clips about 14. 5 volt

connect the charger to the battery and charge for about 12 hours.

disconnect the battery charger and then use the multi meter on the battery measure the voltage about 13. 3 -14. 5 volts. leave the battery to stand for 24 hours and remeasure the volts . if the origonal volts after charging was say 13 volt and it has dopped to say 11 volt ( this is called a static charge and miss leads people)or less the battery needs fixing with a new one.

Batterys need to be stoed in a dry place, frost free, of concret floors and charged about once a month ( use the multi i meter and keep the voltage about 12 vo;t),

When in stoage during winter the battery needs to be charged and discharge) call cycling ).

To discharge use an old car lamp holder with a 18 watt lamp connect to the battery

If you need more help just ask or PM me

Dave

Guest Hobbybod

AFAIUI, Carabiker has got it right. 9V sounds like the battery is knackered. However doing the checks that have been suggested should sort it out.

A decent charger should charge to ~14. 4V and when fully charged, drop back to a trickle charge (off-load) of ~13. 8V. No charge, and the battery should read ~12. 6V if it's OK. If this voltage can't be held (without charging, and off load) for a couple of weeks, then the battery will need replacing, OR you can get a fancy pulse charger (German) from Novitec called the Megapulse, which can rejuvenate 'dead' batteries. (~70€)

The Halfords, Gunson and Selmar chargers came out quite well in a review in the CC Mag. Much better than built-in chargers in 'vans, most of which are naff.

The best chargers are 'switch-mode' chargers, which generally have 3 stage charging protocols designated IUoU etc. (don't ask!). I have one by Sterling Power, but Moore Power, MasterVolt (very expensive, but beautiful!) and Mobitronic also do them. These also act as 12V power supplies and when connected to mains in the 'van deliver the 12V power up to their current limit, above which current is then taken from the battery. Cost ~£120 (10A) and up depending on the current draw.

If you've 'ruined' three batteries then I'd dump the charger!

Dave (Carabiker)

Everything i've read suggests that if a battery is left to completely discharge you risk causing irrepairable damage to the battery in that it is unlikely to charge up properly again so i must question the idea of leaving a light bulb attached to the battery to deliberately discharge it.

Regards

If you want to maintain a charged battery, you need to pass some ripple current across the battery. We use some equipment (name escapes me) which is a monitor and an 18kHz pulse current charger. This prevents the plates sulphating up.

For 'in use' charging, and short term float charging we use MasterVolt chargers/controllers. Mastervolt inverters are also pretty good.

All the above is pretty academic to Joe Public, the above fit to provide 2. 2kW at 230V will set you back about GBP3k. :(:(:(

Gav

Guest Hobbybod
If you want to maintain a charged battery, you need to pass some ripple current across the battery. We use some equipment (name escapes me) which is a monitor and an 18kHz pulse current charger. This prevents the plates sulphating up.   . . . .

Gav

15074[/snapback]

Gav, that's exactly what the Novitec Megapulse does and it's only ~70€. Even low power MasterVolt stuff is pricey; 10A switch-mode charger was over £200 at the NEC!! Sterling Power ~£130 ; both very widely used on canal boats.

Dave (Carabiker)

Everything i've read suggests that if a battery is left to completely discharge you risk causing irrepairable damage to the battery in that it is unlikely to charge up properly again so i must question the idea of leaving a light bulb attached to the battery to deliberately discharge it.

Regards

15060[/snapback]

If they are dead flat use a charger of 6 amps or over to get some life into it,

Paul

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Guest Lenny

Yossa, name the charger.

It sounds suspiciously like my one from Halfords, own brand.

And funnily enough my unnamed battery supplier battery was f. ......broken, after charging it with the new charger. Just thought it was a coincidence.

Yossa, name the charger.

It sounds suspiciously like my one from Halfords, own brand.

And funnily enough my unnamed battery supplier battery was f. ......broken, after charging it with the new charger. Just thought it was a coincidence.

15416[/snapback]

Lenny,

I wasn't going to name the brand but yep, that's the one. I'm not going to use my charger again, I suggest that you don't either. As there may be a fault on this type of charger, would a moderator give some guidance to see if an 'alert' could be put out on the forum?

Yossa

I've had the H******s charge and maintain for about 3 years now

It was there top of range when I bought it and it has never let me down

Lunar Zenith Citroen C5 2. 2 HDI Citroen Picasso 1. 6 HDI. , Vauxhall Vectra Design 150 bhp Soon to be, 2014 Sprite Major 4 sr. With ATC.
The Internet has had no effect on my life whatsoever. com

I've had the H******s  charge and maintain for about 3 years now

It was there top of range when I bought it and it has never let me down

15442[/snapback]

Hi

Glad to hear that you haven't experienced any problems with your charger. It just seemed too much of a coincidence that some else reported a dead battery after using the same type of charger.

Yossa

Archived