12 V Extension

i intend to run a fused extension from my 85ah battery from which i could run a 12 v fridge in the awning, for example.

the fuse and cable rateing are ok.

my question is will the on board battery charger, on ehu, be enough to allow constant running of the additional fridge without draining the battery.

mat

Astra 2L SRI cdti Sports Tourer 2014

Going Go Pod micro tourer 2015

Towing at 46%

by fridge i mean a 12v coolbox (halfords) fused at 5 amps for 12v

i also have the 240 to 12v tranformer but using it last year in a tent caused it to get so hot it melted the cigarette lighter plug on the lead to the coolbox.

replaced this lead today and had it not been on offer £20 was the asking price

i also have a limited number of 240 sockets in the van, none outside, and trailing wires through windows doesnt appeal.

as for the charging unit i couldnt see any values but the handbook says a zig x7/x8, so if anyone could shed any light on its ability to carry out the charge under these curcumstances.

thanks

mat

Towing at 46%

We run 2 Halfords coolboxes when on ehu,1 through a 240/12v transformer and the other straight from the cigerette lighter socket in the van and have no problems at all with the battery,i never gave it a thought,i assume this is what you mean.

Edited by grasmere59

2012 Freelander SD4 HSE towing a 2007 Elddis Sunstyle GT 482

by fridge i mean a 12v coolbox (halfords) fused at 5 amps for 12v

i also have the 240 to 12v tranformer but using it last year in a tent caused it to get so hot it melted the cigarette lighter plug on the lead to the coolbox.

replaced this lead today and had it not been on offer £20 was the asking price

i also have a limited number of 240 sockets in the van, none outside, and trailing wires through windows doesnt appeal.

as for the charging unit i couldnt see any values but the handbook says a zig x7/x8, so if anyone could shed any light on its ability to carry out the charge under these curcumstances.

thanks

mat

Hi Mat,

I think you have answered your own question !

caused it to get so hot it melted the cigarette lighter plug on the lead to the coolbox.

That is why the fridge in the caravan does not run off the battery when on hook up, it only

runs from the car while it is running !

Radiotwo

Steve - Land Cruiser Amazon Auto + Pageant Series 5 Champagne

The match between car and caravan is perfect in accordance with a mix of European standards. However, according to the British Towing Code the percentage (loaded caravan / kerbweight tow car) is 49%.

Hi Mat,

I think you have answered your own question !

caused it to get so hot it melted the cigarette lighter plug on the lead to the coolbox.

That is why the fridge in the caravan does not run off the battery when on hook up, it only

runs from the car while it is running !

Radiotwo

the transformer is the bit that got hot, i have never had the plug get hot whilst using it on its own in the car.

mat

Towing at 46%

thanks to all who replied.

the answer from the explorer group is the charger will put in upto 16amps at 12v.

as i shall only draw a max of 5 then there is no issue.

mat

Edited by 8342mat

Towing at 46%

for those who were following this topic here is the real answer.

YES !! a coolbox that draws no more than 5 amp can be constantly run from the 12v system, while on ehu, with an on board charger rated at 16 amps without flattening the battery.

i ran the coolbox for the duration of the stay, 44hrs, without a problem, or over heating and melting of the cigarette plug and socket, a problem i found with the 240v transformer.

mat

Edited by 8342mat

Towing at 46%