Fernpass?

Derek

About 9 years ago we did it north to south from Reutte to Imst it it seemed perfectly OK. It is only a two way road and it is used by trucks so progress is not always as quick. One way round this is to time your journey for the weekend when there will be very few trucks on the road.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Thanks David. I knew I could rely on yourself for an answer. I googled it and it's surprising how many times your name crops up in the results. :D . It's north to south for us as well, to Seefeld, then across to Bodensee, then the Alsace where we still :rolleyes: haven't decided on a site.

Any thoughts on the Camping Kalte Quelle near Wurzburg for an overnighter heading south?

Edited by seeyoujimmy

It's north to south for us as well, to Seefeld,

I'm not sure about taking a van up to Seefeld! Unless the roads have improved massively in recent times I wouldn't have thought the route from Scharnitz to Innsbruck 'caravanable'.

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

I'm not sure about taking a van up to Seefeld! Unless the roads have improved massively in recent times I wouldn't have thought the route from Scharnitz to Innsbruck 'caravanable'.

Oh!. The Seefeld site was picked from the CC Europe2 book. It gives the approach as "Fr N on B177/E533 turn W into Seefeld". "Approaches from SE and SW via steep hills/hairpins prohibited to trailers".

I had envisioned the 179 then 189 to it's junction with 177 then south to just past Seefeld then turning and proceed as per book. That doesn't involve going as far south as Scharnitz although the 'book' doesn't mention any possible problems with this road.

Derek

Although some may disagree I have always read that coming over the Fern from Nassereith you should head for Imst and not to Telfs which if I read your route correctly you are thinking of doing. That would also suggest you would approach Seefeld from the south up what is a pretty steep, twisty hill and I seem to recall that caravans are not allowed but that may have changed. If you are coming south from Wurzburg why not come from the Munich direction? We stayed here which is just south of Wurzburg http://www. davidklyne. co. uk/knaus_campingp. ..ickenhausen. htm

David

David - Milton Keynes

Caravan Travels

OH! (again) that's put a new outlook on things. The book does say that approaches from the south are verbotten but I presumed that to mean the local roads to the site not the main Seefeld access. I'll follow the 'from the north' instructions but that puts my onward journey south and then west to Bodensee into a quandry. Unless I retrace to Garmish then follow the Fern to Imst. Bit of a roundabout route.

You could try this?

David

Seefeld_Lindau.jpg

David - Milton Keynes

Caravan Travels

If my memory serves me right, the road from Mittenwald to Seefeld (shown on David's map) goes up the Scharnitzpass. It's many years since I went that way (no caravan then) but I recall vehicles struggling to get up it. That's why I have my doubts about taking a van that way. The rods from Seefeld into the Inntal are even worse, again from memory, and a lot of supplies came in by rail. But then again, there has been a winter Olympics at Seefeld so there must be a reasonable way in! If you do chance it, I'd like to know how you get on as I'd love to revisit Seefeld some day.

Derek

Although some may disagree I have always read that coming over the Fern from Nassereith you should head for Imst and not to Telfs which if I read your route correctly you are thinking of doing. That would also suggest you would approach Seefeld from the south up what is a pretty steep, twisty hill and I seem to recall that caravans are not allowed but that may have changed. If you are coming south from Wurzburg why not come from the Munich direction? We stayed here which is just south of Wurzburg http://www. davidklyne. co. uk/knaus_campingp. ..ickenhausen. htm

David

Thanks again David. Wifie likes the look of your Knaus site and the drive through is handy. I take it that's them in one of your pics? That site is still handy for the A7 south. Not sure why I would want to go across as far as Munich?

Edited by seeyoujimmy

Thanks again David. Wifie likes the look of your Knaus site and the drive through is handy. I take it that's them in one of your pics? That site is still handy for the A7 south. Not sure why I would want to go across as far as Munich?

Derek

I was just thinking of better roads as going via Ulm and Munich you are autobahn almost all the way to Garmisch.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Caravan Travels

David.

I was hoping to avoid the Munich ring road kerfuffle. I mailed the campsite last night and got this reply. ....

"wir freuen uns, wenn Sie unseren Campingplatz besichtigen wollen.

Es stimmt, dass Sie mit einem Wohnwagen nicht über den Zirler-Berg herauffahren dürfen, jedoch, wenn Sie nach Telfs weiterfahren, dürfen Sie über den Telfer Berg herauf.

Das ist ungefähr von Zirl 10 - 15 km entfernt.

Natürlich können Sie auch über Garmisch-Partenkirchen fahren.

Wir hoffen, Ihnen mit dieser Auskunft gedient zu haben und verbleiben

mit freundlichen Grüßen

Camp Alpin Team Seefeld"

" we are pleased, if you want to visit our camping site. It tunes that you may not up-drive with a camper over the Zirler mountain, however, if you drive on after Telfs, may you over the Telfer mountain up. That is approximate of Zirl 10 - 15 km removes. Naturally you can drive also over Garmisch-Partenkirchen. We hope you with this information to have served and remain Yours sincerely Camp alpine team Seefeld"

Maybe lost something in the translation but seems to suggest that the SW road from Telfs is OK to use. However; wifie is unhappy at me wanting to try out all the torque I've got so it looks like Munich - Garmisch - Seefeld it is. Some folk are no fun. Might get to play a bit on your suggested route to Bodensee. :D

Edited by seeyoujimmy

I can speak German and it seems that the road over the Scharnitzpass from Mittenwald is now OK for towing a caravan. It also suggests that the Telfs route down to the Inntal is OK too although I wouldn't fancy it going upwards! Zirl is a no-go route (v narrow,steep and winding). Sorry if I gave you undue cause for concern - but I'd still like to know how you get on!

No probs Mal, your input is much appreciated as it sent the debate off in the correct direction (pun):rolleyes: I'll certainly report back on what I find. Trouble with me is I have an adventurous streak and when I read that something can't be done/isn't allowed it's a red rag to a bull. Wifie's got the brains and the fear but no gumption. Next thing they'll be telling us not to drive over 60mph :P:D