Alko 2004 Retro Fit Handle

Wirral Tourer

After reading the fitting instructions it begs the question - why can't the existing handle be used in this way instead of buying the retro fit ? in other words - after removing the retaining screw from the original handle, why can't THAT handle be pushed on and pulled off for hitching and unhitching ???? and stored when travelling.

Thanks for the update. You make a very good point though. Is that 'Torx Spanner' just an allen key or something else? (I wish I could have a look at the handle, but I'm 20 miles away from my 'van in London!!). We'll end up spending £25 on 50p's worth of spanner!

Mike

Thanks for the update. You make a very good point though. Is that 'Torx Spanner' just an allen key or something else? (I wish I could have a look at the handle, but I'm 20 miles away from my 'van in London!!). We'll end up spending £25 on 50p's worth of spanner!

Mike

15012[/snapback]

Torx spanners are not the same as Allen keys - Torx is more of a star and if you try using an Allen key in a Torx you will more than likely destroy the 'star' of the Torx - I am speaking from bitter experience :(

Discovery 4 XS SDV6 and Airstream 532 plus 1996 MGF owned since new.

Mike

15012[/snapback]

Spoke to AL-KO about the possibility of using the existing handle in the same way - i. e. push on/pull off between uses. They replied that the existing handle hadn't been tested in that way <_< and because it was only a moulded shaft it probably wouldn't last very long (unless of course you screwed it back into place instead of just loosely pushing it on to operate the stabiliser).

Re. the Torx spanner - any decent screwdriver-bit set will likely have the correct bit.

Isn't all this a bit of a 'shut the gate after the horse has bolted' type scenario? How long have 4x4's with a rear-mounted spare wheel been around and used as towcars by caravanners? Should this have not been taken into consideration by Al-ko when originally designing the stabiliser? Seems to me that they are now profiteering from their own shortcomings, we all go and spend £25 on a handle that cures a problem that they overlooked in the first place! I emailed Al-ko with my thoughts, their Service Manager replied with;

"Thank you for your email concerning our new retro - fit handle on the AKS 2004/3004 Stabiliser. I am sorry to hear that you are unhappy about being charged for this product, but it was never the intension for us to replace this handle FOC. The response for our customers who have purchased this product, has been so far, very positive. Unfortunatly, due to the 4x4 vehicle manufactures positioning their spare wheels in such a position, as to cause a clearance problem with our stabiliser clamping handle, our only solution was to replace this handle for these vehicles effected."

What?? "Due to the 4x4 manufacturers positioning their spare wheels in such a position as to cause a clearance problem with our stabiliser clamping handle. .." Oh right, so there weren't any 4x4's around with rear-mounted spares until after you invented your stabiliser hitch then Al-ko? They dropped a clanger and now they're asking us to pay for it. Not me, I'll find another way!

Tim

Guest Lenny

The bolt through the existing handle is a torx bolt. T21 i think, but i'd have to go and check. I keep one in the van and one in the car just in case.

Removing the handle is EXACTLY what i do to hitch/unhitch on my 98 Frontera. So this device seems like a total waste of money, and completely pointless. It does exactly the same as what im doing now!!!

As a small pointer, i also moved my Spare wheel up a couple of inches on the back door, by just re-aligning it on the mounting plate, just to give me a bit more clearance. I have a solid spare wheel cover which slightly fouls otherwise. I would suspect a non solid wheel cover wouldn't foul, or not as much as the solid, although i haven't tried to be honest.

Archived