Rav4

amyandrob

Hi all, My father in law has finally been persuaded to join our ranks. He has bought a two berth van and drives a RAV4(5 door). When he had the towbar fitted the fitter informed him that it would have to sit quite low due to the bottom of the rear door being very low. He asked about removable towbars and was told that these are not a viable option due to wear on the bolts if removed and fitted regularly.

We have noticed that no matter what we do the caravan hitch leans down to the ball, just looks all wrong when hooked up. Any advice would be grateful.

Cheers

Rob

LANDY DISCO TD5(2003)

ADRIA ADORA 532 UK(2005)

Been using a swan neck removable for over a year on our car (Rav4 2007 model), fitted by Hedley tow bar centre.

Thanks for that. Really stupid question time :). How do you tighten up once neck is fitted? Can you lower it whilst van' is attached? (just thinking about opening back door in dire emergency)

LANDY DISCO TD5(2003)

ADRIA ADORA 532 UK(2005)

Hi all, My father in law has finally been persuaded to join our ranks. He has bought a two berth van and drives a RAV4(5 door). When he had the towbar fitted the fitter informed him that it would have to sit quite low due to the bottom of the rear door being very low. He asked about removable towbars and was told that these are not a viable option due to wear on the bolts if removed and fitted regularly.

We have noticed that no matter what we do the caravan hitch leans down to the ball, just looks all wrong when hooked up. Any advice would be grateful.

Cheers

Rob

You need to change your towbar fitter, he's talking completely out of his backside.

Firstly, the towball and bar are set on the car to meet UK approval standards.

Secondly removable towbars are not removed by bolts. Ive got one on the front of my Shogun and a fixed bar on the back. At no stage do i go anywhere near any bolts.

Check for the correct towball height, someone will tell you what it should be, i cant remember off hand.

And it may be worth getting this clowns work DOUBLE CHECKED as if, as i suspect, he has cut corners on the wiring then you may have a potential disaster on your hands.

He doesnt know what he's talking about and he's been messing with the wiring on a fairly modern vehicle.

In Consilio Sapienta

tn_gallery_1122_263_6791.jpg

I have a Rav4 XTR and it is fitted with a Toyota detachable towbar fitted by a Toyota dealer when I bought the car.

When hitched up the back door will only open about 8inches as the bottom of the door touched the top of the alko stabiliser.

As this is a five door car and only my Wife and I are in the car we don't consider this much of a problem.

The tow ball slips into place and auto locks securely every time. if required it can be locked in place with a key lock for security if the tow ball is left on the car.

Brian

Rob

The EC Directive 94/20/EC states that the towball height should be between 350 and 420mm with the vehicle in the ‘laden’ condition but without the caravan attached. Measured to the centre of the towball. Caravan heights are designed to suit these dimensions.

Brian

Having looked at the initial post again, are we getting confused with adjustable and detachable tow balls?

The adjustable will bolt on and usually has three adjustments where you can bolt the tow ball onto whilst the detachable is a fixed height once fitted.

Seems like the initially fitted tow ball has been fitted low to enable the door to open.

Brian

The Rav4 is well known for this problem. The solutions are either a very low towball (OK if its just used for small trailers), or a detachable system (best option for caravans).

The detatchable one sold by Toyota is the same make, but they charge a lot more for it. Brink detatchable I think it is. A good towbar fitter will be able to get one. No bolts removed to take it off.

http://www. ntta. co. uk/ Hedley's are registered with this organisation who I have found great for towing advice, they may have a list of a good tow bar dealer who knows what they are talking about/doing in your area.

Edited by lil_me

Been using a swan neck removable for over a year on our car (Rav4 2007 model), fitted by Hedley tow bar centre.

Just a guess, but do you live in Tow Law?

The opinions posted in this forum are not necessarily those of the author, they may have been influenced by the voices in my head.