Taking A Dog To Spain And Portugal.

Hi All,

This September I am taking my Boxer on a 3 month holiday to Spain and Portugal.

I know about PET passport, vacinations, ticks and worms before coming back.

However has anyone any advise on the day to day things to watch for, and do?

What dried dog foods are available?

Is Tap water safe for the dog?

will she need a Muzzle or is it only those dogs on the dangerous list?

will she be readily accepted in sites?

what happens on the Ferry (Plymouth-Santander)?

what else to watch for!?

thanks. Geo

Hi All,

what else to watch for!?

thanks. Geo

Hi Geo

I don't really know anything about dogs or your questions but Plymouth-Santander is way too long

a crossing for me to consider, and given the reputation of the Bay of Biscay too bumpy too :(

neil

Bailey S5 Pageant Auvergne & Vauxhall Signum CDTI

Hi All,

what else to watch for!?

thanks. Geo

Hi,

Heart worm can be a problem so ensure your pooch takes the pre test at your vets then the tablets every month without fail. There is also a sort of gnat that can cause problems so purchase an excaliber neckcollar, they are a white plastic looking affair but do protect the dog.

The Spanish nor the Portuguese are dog friendly, in fact in Portugal dogs are truly treated very very badly and kept on chains in the back yard in all waether, eating table scraps and no weather protection. The death rate amoung dogs in Portugal is very very high. You cannot take a dog on any public transport not even a taxi so ensure you have your own car.

All foods marks and varieties are available but will cost your dearly.

She need not be muzzled but MUST be kept on a lead, If you walk her in any town expect to be given dirty looks and a wide berth, they dont trust nor like dogs. NEVER expect to take your dog into a shop of any kind. Put it this way Portugal and Spain are the very opposite of France where your loving pooch is even welcome in restaurants (I dont agree with that but. ...)

Camp sites like hotels etc will vary but dont expect a welcome with a dog anywhere, simple as that. I own a black lab who doesnt even know how to growl and would make tea or coffee for any intruder and yet even after 9 years the neighbours still avoid him? I have know many dogs here to be poisoned? Dont ask I dont understand it either. Greece was even worse BTW. The local council in Greece actually places poison in parks etc to kill dogs! Again don't ask.

Bottom line, don't expect people to think as you do toward your dog. You will be looked upon as odd as you care for your dog. I am seen as some odd eccentric Brit', all because I take my dog for walks? Vets are very very good and you would receive better treatment for your dog than you would receive here in a hospital, so there is some positive news, lol Average consultation is about 20€ plus medications.

Don't let your dog play with strays they are often infested with worms and other parasites that seem to do them no harm but cause OUR pooches no end of agro? I dont understand that either. Well you did ask! lol

France would be a much more friendly place to travel.

Keep in touch and let me know how you get along.

Ryland

Edited by ryland

do you need a special licence plate for the dog - in Spain - I have two yellow and red ones spare if you do

4.gif

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold 😥) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club

Plymouth Santander BF : the Pont Aven has kennels on one of the upper decks.

We're taking our dog to France again and I've just discovered we need to pay a pet repatriation fee on top of our Red Pennant insurance. Her pet insurance policy has changed (and gone up 50%) but it now covers her for unlimited holiday travel in Europe.

Mine: Fiesta; his Mondeo Estate; ours Bailey Olympus534, DD1's Poppy the cocker but she comes with us!

do you need a special licence plate for the dog - in Spain - I have two yellow and red ones spare if you do

4.gif

More info on this please? Special anything for spain is always a worry?

thanks for the offer.

geo

Could you explain that a little more I don't understand your post. :mellow:

Thanks,

Ryland

If it helps, Maurice is reffering to the long vehicle marker boards required in Spain if your outfit is over 12m long, he got some and then discovered he didn't need them, nothing to do with dogs, he is just joshing, i am sure he will be along to confirm this.

Phil.

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

If it helps, Maurice is reffering to the long vehicle marker boards required in Spain if your outfit is over 12m long, he got some and then discovered he didn't need them, nothing to do with dogs, he is just joshing, i am sure he will be along to confirm this.

Phil.

Ah so, gotcha thanks :)

Ryland