Road To The Highlands

Hi

We are setting off for the Highlands from the South of England in a couple of weeks. Hoping to get north of Skye for the first time and maybe get right to the top if 4/5 weeks is enough for that. Perhaps making our first real stop (apart from overnighters en route) at Kinlochewe.

Can anyone suggest the best towing route to Kinlochewe in May please?

Lottie

Hi

We are setting off for the Highlands from the South of England in a couple of weeks. Hoping to get north of Skye for the first time and maybe get right to the top if 4/5 weeks is enough for that. Perhaps making our first real stop (apart from overnighters en route) at Kinlochewe.

Can anyone suggest the best towing route to Kinlochewe in May please?

Lottie

It depends upon where you will be travelling from on the last section of your trip. If you have come up the west coast and are in the Fort William area I would head for Kyle of Lochalsh and just before you get there turn right onto the A690 to Achnasheen where you then turn left onto the A632 to Kinlochewe. You will find that part of this route is on single track roads but there are innumerable passing places and not a lot of traffic so it is no problem at all. This is the way that I would go as to me it is one of the most scenic drives I have ever taken, not only do you get to drive over Rannoch Moor and down Glencoe ( unmissable ) you also get Glegarry and then the seven sisters as you get towards Morvich. From then all the scenery is spectacular. If you are planning on going up the east side then the A9 up to Inverness and a little bit further North, then the A635 from Tore, and then the A632 to achnasheen where you turn right but stay on the A632 down to Kinlochewe, only the last 9 miles or so is on the single track but this is the shortest section of single track you could be forced into using to get to Kinlochewe. Take plenty of Midge keller, they have lots of genuine scottish midges there, it is different but it is definitely a place not to miss.

Bill

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.

It depends upon where you will be travelling from on the last section of your trip. If you have come up the west coast and are in the Fort William area I would head for Kyle of Lochalsh and just before you get there turn right onto the A690 to Achnasheen where you then turn left onto the A632 to Kinlochewe. You will find that part of this route is on single track roads but there are innumerable passing places and not a lot of traffic so it is no problem at all. This is the way that I would go as to me it is one of the most scenic drives I have ever taken, not only do you get to drive over Rannoch Moor and down Glencoe ( unmissable ) you also get Glegarry and then the seven sisters as you get towards Morvich. From then all the scenery is spectacular. If you are planning on going up the east side then the A9 up to Inverness and a little bit further North, then the A635 from Tore, and then the A632 to achnasheen where you turn right but stay on the A632 down to Kinlochewe, only the last 9 miles or so is on the single track but this is the shortest section of single track you could be forced into using to get to Kinlochewe. Take plenty of Midge keller, they have lots of genuine scottish midges there, it is different but it is definitely a place not to miss.

Many thanks for those directions Bill.

I guess what I was really asking was whether to travel north up the right hand side or the left (of England and Scotland that is - not the road). We have been to Fort William and Oban and Skye several times before though never when towing a van. This time we will be towing our little van (which we are not very experienced at doing) and want to get to Kinlochewe by the best and easiest towing route rather than the most scenic and begin our tour proper from then on. I've met Mrs McMidge before and know what you are talking about.

Unless Global Warming is going full tilt don't think you will get much problem with midges in May!

Agree the routes given though, depends a great deal whether you are driving up the west or north coast. There are a few lovely sites up the top of Scotland - Durness, Grummore at Altnaharra and Dunnet Bay are three not to miss for their situation - each very different but more or less takes you across the top.

And if the weather is like it has been the last few days it will be glorious.

from a sunny north scotland

NE Scotland

Unicorn Valencia pulled by Merc E280 cdi sport

Unless Global Warming is going full tilt don't think you will get much problem with midges in May!

They winter in Kinlochewe and await the unwary when they come out of their hibernation, it was May when I was there and as usuall I got eaten alive on the one occasion I was a little lapse in my precautions.

Bill

Many thanks for those directions Bill.

I guess what I was really asking was whether to travel north up the right hand side or the left (of England and Scotland that is - not the road).

Then depending upon whereabouts in the South of England you are heading for Perth and then the A9 up to Inverness, and then onto Tore, then the A635, then onto the A632 to Achnasheen and Kinlochewe.

It then depends on which set of roads is easier and shortest for you, I hate the M1, M5 and M6 ( up to Preston but it is one of my favourite raods north of Preston ) but as a poor unfortunate southerner you have not a lot of choice but suffer them :D so whichever is the easier to get to is the one I would pick. From Preston the M6 M74 up to Glasgow and then onto the A80,M80 and A9 is for much of the ride quite scenic, as is the A1 north from Leeds up to Edinburgh then on to the the Forth Road bridge and onto the M90 up to Perth and the A9.

Bill

Nothing to do with the route but once you get there the village is basically several houses a couple of shops and a garage, but in the general stores where you get your papers from about 400yds from the site, they also have frsh bread which is fantastic. It arrives to them frozen and they keep on producing fresh loaves during the day it was memorable. you will also find that several miles down the single track ( everything is a long way away ) if you look at the map you will see a little village called lower Diabeg, we wondered if the 9 miles up the tiny road from the main raod and then the 9 miles back would be worth it, well it was especially if you like wonderfully peaceful and beautiful places. This is lower Diabeg

P1010039.jpg

Bill

They winter in Kinlochewe and await the unwary when they come out of their hibernation, it was May when I was there and as usuall I got eaten alive on the one occasion I was a little lapse in my precautions.

What are the blighters like in September?

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450