Reversing Camera

I'm looking into fitting a reversing camera onto my caravan for various reasons which I won't go into here.

Anyway, I've done some searching and it really needs to be wireless. I've seen a few comments about limited range and interference but there's really no other alternative in my case. So, what's the xheapest one I can get away with? Had a look at the Maplins ones and despite the dearer one (£90) saying it has a range of 25m, on the box was a label saying the max range for no interference and perfect picture was about 30 feet line of sight!

I've found some others that sound better but they are £180 or more. I can't find anything in between. The alternative I guess is a wireless camera, wireless receiver and onitor bought individually but I can't find a wireless receiver anywhere.

Any help much appreciated.

Why does it have to be wireless? You can simply have a plug and socket close to the tow ball. Wireless ranges will all be pretty similar for license free equipment - more expensive will equal better build and better features.

Bailey Pageant Monarch Series 5 2004

One of the vans at work has a wireless camera, not to good the distance from Camera to monitor is about 12 feet and it struggles some days and is prone to interference depending on if anything is in the van, even a passenger sat between the camera and the monitor is enough to loose signal. If you had one on the back of the caravan with the alloy body then the metal on the car it may not be to clever. You may notice on the rears of many LGV's that they have cameras and very few are wireless if any.

i have got one of thde £49. 99 ones from maplins, its on the back of a swift conqueorur 580 twin axle, the tow car is a frontera which has the monitor in it, works great no problems at all, i have it so that is can be used in reverse or have it on all the time while driving just to add to being able to see whats directly behind the van just as an added safety thing, i have had no problems with it at all, and it has been a great bit of kit for the price

I have bought a wireless camera and receiver (£19) and a 7" LCD (£25)screen off Ebay. This used in a Bailey Arizona and works well.

I do get the occasional bit of interference but it is generally short lived as you pass the source.

The 7" screen is mounted on the middle headrest of the back seat and faces the cars internal rear view mirror. So I just look in my mirror and see the image out the back of the caravan on the screen.

Bob R

I have bought a wireless camera and receiver (£19) and a 7" LCD (£25)screen off Ebay. This used in a Bailey Arizona and works well.

I do get the occasional bit of interference but it is generally short lived as you pass the source.

The 7" screen is mounted on the middle headrest of the back seat and faces the cars internal rear view mirror. So I just look in my mirror and see the image out the back of the caravan on the screen.

Bob R

Who did you get the wireless camera and receiver from? I can't find any on ebay.
Why does it have to be wireless? You can simply have a plug and socket close to the tow ball. Wireless ranges will all be pretty similar for license free equipment - more expensive will equal better build and better features.
Firstly, from what I've read, you can't use wired on cars with CANBUS wiring, which both of ours has. Every time you put it in reverse it will flag up a bulb error.

Also, we have two cars we can potentially tow with so swapping the screen from one to the other needs to be quick and easy. I also don't want to hard wire 2 cars!

i have got one of thde £49. 99 ones from maplins, its on the back of a swift conqueorur 580 twin axle, the tow car is a frontera which has the monitor in it, works great no problems at all, i have it so that is can be used in reverse or have it on all the time while driving just to add to being able to see whats directly behind the van just as an added safety thing, i have had no problems with it at all, and it has been a great bit of kit for the price
That's food to know - maybe worth a punt anyway then. Our van is an Abbey Expression 500L so shorter than your van.
One of the vans at work has a wireless camera, not to good the distance from Camera to monitor is about 12 feet and it struggles some days and is prone to interference depending on if anything is in the van, even a passenger sat between the camera and the monitor is enough to loose signal. If you had one on the back of the caravan with the alloy body then the metal on the car it may not be to clever. You may notice on the rears of many LGV's that they have cameras and very few are wireless if any.
The good thing about our Abbey Expression is it's a fibreglass body so we should be less affected.
Where did you mount the camera and how did you wire it in? I was going to put it inside the rear window and wire it to the fridge 12v power so that it's always on when the car is connected. I don't want to drill any holes in the back of the van.

Thanks everyone for the replies and info.

Might just give the Maplins one a go. It's cheap enough.

Who did you get the wireless camera and receiver from? I can't find any on ebay.

Try this link, All I searched for was "Wireless Camera" and there were over 3700 hits

Wireless camera

Cheers

Bob R

Who did you get the wireless camera and receiver from? I can't find any on ebay. Firstly, from what I've read, you can't use wired on cars with CANBUS wiring, which both of ours has. Every time you put it in reverse it will flag up a bulb error.

Also, we have two cars we can potentially tow with so swapping the screen from one to the other needs to be quick and easy. I also don't want to hard wire 2 cars!That's food to know - maybe worth a punt anyway then. Our van is an Abbey Expression 500L so shorter than your van. The good thing about our Abbey Expression is it's a fibreglass body so we should be less affected. Where did you mount the camera and how did you wire it in? I was going to put it inside the rear window and wire it to the fridge 12v power so that it's always on when the car is connected. I don't want to drill any holes in the back of the van.

Thanks everyone for the replies and info.

Might just give the Maplins one a go. It's cheap enough.

I have a VW Touran fitted with the Canbus systym. My camera is fitted under the rear of the van then hard wired to the S plug(cable changed from 5 to7 core) Then hard wired to the base of the dash whereI have fitted a phono socket(Maplin pt noFJ98X). The monitor then plugs into this and the cigi plug and sits ontop of the dash. It is on all the time I am towing giveing a very good view to the rear. As it is on all the time it does not interfear with the canbus systym. I have spoken to the Police about haveing a screen visable to the driver and thier comment was providing I still had extntion mirrors fitted they were happy.

i have got one of thde £49. 99 ones from maplins, its on the back of a swift conqueorur 580 twin axle, the tow car is a frontera which has the monitor in it, works great no problems at all, i have it so that is can be used in reverse or have it on all the time while driving just to add to being able to see whats directly behind the van just as an added safety thing, i have had no problems with it at all, and it has been a great bit of kit for the priceWhere did you mount the camera and how did you wire it in? I was going to put it inside the rear window and wire it to the fridge 12v power so that it's always on when the car is connected. I don't want to drill any holes in the back of the van.

the maplins one comes with an attachment that goes behind your number plate and the camera attatches to that, for the power i went into a hole in the underside of the van where there is a water pipe comming out and i also took a 12v supply from the fridge power,

you can fix it inside the window if wanted but just as easy to use the correct mounting plate, if you can find an entry point to your van that is

Just wanted to let people know that I went ahead and bought the Maplins reversing camera kit for £49. 99.

I've attached it inside the caravan rear window (actually velcroed it to the rear edge of the bunk which is at mid window height) and wired it into the caravan rear lights so that I can have the camera on whenever I want by turning the car lights on.

So, the big question, what's it like? In a word - great! Works very well, nice clear picture (albeit small) and very useful for knowing what's directly behind while driving along. The image can be reversed at the press of a button. Also handy as a double check while reversing so at least I know I'm not about to hit something because my wife is checking the side and not rear of the van!

The only time I had any sort of interference on the picture was when my wife received text messages on her mobile phone. A few lines would appear across the screen for a few seconds but that's about it. That's in a car that has built in bluetooth and both our mobiles' Bluetooth were switched on. The screen is quite small but when I use it I stick it to the windscreen (using the supplied bracket with sucker) just under the rear view mirror which is close enough to see what I need to see.

The monitor has a built in wireless receiver I guess as the only connection to it is to the cigarette lighter socket for power. The camera has a wire running to a very small transmitter box and then this in turn has a wire that runs to the +ve and -ve feeds in the caravan.

Overall I think it's fantastic, especially for £49. 99. It was very easy to fit (just needed to tap into +ve and -ve feeds).

Hope that helps others.

PS our car is an S-Max (so quite large) and the caravan is 5m long internal (about 22 feet long in total). I'd say the transmitter is about 30 feet from the monitor, line of sight. When I tested it the offside bathroom and cupboard were between the transmitter and monitor but it made no difference to the picture - it was still crystal clear.

Maybe they need a Maplins £50 camera! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

did you know that you are breaking the law by having your mointer showing the rear view whilst driving forwards

2014 SsangYong Turismo ES tugging
Compass Kensington 866 2017 Bailey Senator Carolina S5 with Powrtouch 4 AWD
Wife, Daughter and 2 Sons and a dog called Meg

did you know that you are breaking the law by having your mointer showing the rear view whilst driving forwards

I think you may be wrong. New regulations allow cameras. ...quote below

" This Directive will also require cars to be fitted with two exterior mirrors and one interior mirror. Most modern cars already have these mirrors fitted. Cameras or alternative vision systems may be used in addition to the mandatory mirror requirements".

I think you may be wrong. New regulations allow cameras. ...quote below

" This Directive will also require cars to be fitted with two exterior mirrors and one interior mirror. Most modern cars already have these mirrors fitted. Cameras or alternative vision systems may be used in addition to the mandatory mirror requirements".

Exactly.

Why is a monitor showing a rear view whilst moving forwards any different than a rear view mirror?!?

I thought it was only a problem if the monitor was showing TV or a DVD whilst moving?

• 2 weeks later...

I'd been thinking about this for weeks and kept reading this thread for inspiration.

Finally went down the wired route. Sourced a 10" screen (ok, a bit excessive but hey) with a wired camera and another round camera separately. Cut a large hole in the 'O' of Land Rover in my rear bumper and positioned the round camera there. Camera that came with the screen was a lovely little square beasty on a bracket. Screwed this on under the rear panel of the van just to one side of the waste-outlets out of the way. Ran cable forward after linking the power cable to the side-lights. Taped cable to 12N cable to front.

On car, ran a cable from front to tow-bar. connected camera power to reversing light supply. Now when car is solo, plug bumper camera into cable, operates in reverse. Hitch up van, disconnect bumper camera, connect caravan camera, switch on side lights, Hey Presto rear-view camera.

total cost about £85. Could have done it for less with a smaller screen but the big one is great.

I'd been thinking about this for weeks and kept reading this thread for inspiration.

Finally went down the wired route. Sourced a 10" screen (ok, a bit excessive but hey) with a wired camera and another round camera separately. Cut a large hole in the 'O' of Land Rover in my rear bumper and positioned the round camera there. Camera that came with the screen was a lovely little square beasty on a bracket. Screwed this on under the rear panel of the van just to one side of the waste-outlets out of the way. Ran cable forward after linking the power cable to the side-lights. Taped cable to 12N cable to front.

On car, ran a cable from front to tow-bar. connected camera power to reversing light supply. Now when car is solo, plug bumper camera into cable, operates in reverse. Hitch up van, disconnect bumper camera, connect caravan camera, switch on side lights, Hey Presto rear-view camera.

total cost about £85. Could have done it for less with a smaller screen but the big one is great.

Hi Roy

I'm liking this idea a lot!

Do you have details of the pieces you bought please?

neil

Bailey S5 Pageant Auvergne & Vauxhall Signum CDTI

As you might have guessed, all off Fleabay!

Screen and camera were from a supplier call EONON, item no. 110382573298 , additional reversing camera for car was 300313363130 then I bought a couple of 10m lengths of video cable.

As I said earlier, if I did it again I might only look at say 7" screens as the 10 is a bit extravagant and might be difficult to house in a smaller car (mines a Disco II)

Going with wired allows me to set up both cameras and use each as necessary, I'm not sure you could do that with a wireless system. It only needs the connection at the tow-bar end and 30sec when you hitch/unhitch.

The rear view you get with the caravan camera is awesome and really gives you alot of confidence on whats going on behind.

I'll try to post some photos of the installation.

I've got a reversing camera built into my Passat estate that shows up on the screen on my dash. I wonder if I could get a mod that would allow me to show the image from a different camera mounted on the back of the van.

Any ideas from the technical wizards out there ?