Hartal Door Lock

darrell

I know this has been raised within this forum before and I have the forum to thank for helping out.

My Bailey Pageant series 7 has always had a stiff door lock and I didn't realise until reading that this is a fault.

Anyway just to make people aware Miriad products who supply the door lock kindly sent me a new internal part of the lock FOC. Only problem was that it was different to the existing none.

I took a look and rang them only to be told sorry but the one you've got is correct. Oh no it's not, it has larger internal lugs and no way will it fit.

I dismantled the old lock (carefully because there's lots of small bits) replaced the bit with the larger lugs and hey presto it works.

The reason for the post is to make people aware, please be careful, don't take the lock to bits unless you know how to put it all back together again and watch out of the 4 screws holding the internal part of the lock to the outside bit, 2 are shorter. Don't mix them up or you'll have a hold in the outer skin of your lovely caravan

Lunar Ultima 560 towed by VW Tiguan 2. 0TDi

darrell, which bit of the lock is stiff? I sometimes find turning the key is stiff (locking or unlocking) but the handle on the inside never seems a problem.

Cruzer, aka Colin

Growing old is unavoidable, growing up is optional. .. Hyundai Santa Fe & Bailey Pegeant Bretagne.

Ours does not return to the neutral position once we have opened the door, we have to manually push it back up or we can't close the door. It is also very stiff to lock/unlock in fact I can't do it hubbie has to. Our friends have dismantled their's and using fine wet and dry rubbed the cylinder down. However, they had to get the circlip removed at a caravan place because they could not remove it without a circlip spanner.

2008 Swift Challenger 540 towed with P reg diesel Discovery

Cruser Shiela has got it right it's the internal part of the lock and the handle doesn't return to the horizontal position.

My suggestion would be don't attempt this repair yourself unless you have got a replacement internal lock, because you may easily lose the circlip or any other small part, and then te door cannot be locked.

Miriad products have been very helpful contact is Vicky or Richard Toon, they know all about this problem

if some one could tell me how to attatch pictures i could compose a how to on this lock rectification

Don't know how to do it directly but you can upload them to some where like Photobucket and put a link to them which shows them in the post using the icon in the post editor second right from the dropdown smiley menu below the font box

I'm interested as mine sticks as well :rolleyes:

Edited by Mickyblueyes

Mine sticks as well, pain in the ass.

Just to add to the thread . ... I am experiencing exactly the same problem (particulary noticable when we went away at Easter ) . .. and propose to leave it until the fist service is due and get the dealer to sort it then . .

But thanks for the origional post . .. its nice to know that it just a common problem and not an isolated issue.

Andrew

if some one could tell me how to attatch pictures i could compose a how to on this lock rectification

Tradetech (and others). When you hit the reply button you will see the screen below. Below the bit where you type in your words is a section for attachments. Use the button to the right to choose your file(s) and upload to upload them. there is a limit of 70k per file, so a bit of editing in PaintShop might be needed first, or upload one in each reply and reply as many times as necessary.

Simples.

post-29866-1240427509_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cruzer

Cruzer, aka Colin

Growing old is unavoidable, growing up is optional. .. Hyundai Santa Fe & Bailey Pegeant Bretagne.

My crop is better than yours. ........lol

But you couldn't have done it without my reply, ner ner!

Anyway, it works.

Cruzer, aka Colin

When you consider what you guys have attached as cropped files it can be difficult to get a lot of files down that small.

It may well be a lot easier to use a 3rd party repository site and link to it for a lot of people as I suggested simply as it is as quick as faffing cropping and compressing etc etc.

I'm not trying to get 'one up' here just think it's easier :blush: oh and saves server capacity on here.

Problem solved!!!!

After seeing this post and doing a quick search its a VERY common problem.

Ive just been out on the drive and done mine. Would of took me 15 minutes tops if i had a circlip opener, i didnt so the pluck and hope method of circlip extraction was used to great (eventual) success. Lock now works spot on and springs back.

I followed Steves words here, posted way back in April 2008:

"Ahhhh the Hartal door lock, remove red and green screw covers and cover with HARTAL writen on it, remove the 4 screws, then you will need to turn the handle assy upside down (on a worktop or bench is best) then remove the circlip and double spring clip, the handle now comes out of the locating apperture, simply file or sand the hole to make biger then reverse the removal procedure, a smear of petroleum jelly wont go a miss either

have fun "

http://www. caravantalk. org. uk/index. php?sh. ..=17903&st=0

Edited by Brassneck

In Consilio Sapienta

tn_gallery_1122_263_6791.jpg

This thread brings the need for a HOW TO. ..... section somewhere in the forum. Would a How To section be useful?

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

This thread brings the need for a HOW TO. ..... section somewhere in the forum.

Would a How To section be useful?

Hi WispMan

Now that is a good idea, I've used them on many forums (fora plural?) and they

are great - hadn't really realised CT2 was missing them.

neil

Bailey S5 Pageant Auvergne & Vauxhall Signum CDTI

This thread brings the need for a HOW TO. ..... section somewhere in the forum. Would a How To section be useful?

Very handy indeed.

But in this instance would it not be better if Hartal had had the commercial wit to market a product that actually worked?

Would it not have been better if the van manufacturers had made sure that the “High Security Locks” that they fit actually work correctly?

There are three problems with the Hartal:-

1) The hole where the handle fits is a bad moulding and tapers from one end to the other, and at one end is smaller than the shaft that goes through it.

2) There is only need for one washer beneath the circlip, not two or even three.

3) Why do they feel that it is necessary to stick a self-adhesive label beneath the bit that slides, so it can roll up and jam the slider? A good dose of WD40 will get it rolled up even faster.

People on this site alone have been complaining about these locks for at least 18 months, Hartals, caravan manufacturers and dealers are all well aware that these things are happening yet nothing is done. Why?

A question for all of you who have had the Hartal lock in bits to repair it. Do you consider that the description “High Security Lock” is accurate.

Apologies for the rant but after having 4 locks in less than a year …………

Regards to all,

David.

Problem solved!!!!

After seeing this post and doing a quick search its a VERY common problem.

Ive just been out on the drive and done mine. Would of took me 15 minutes tops if i had a circlip opener, i didnt so the pluck and hope method of circlip extraction was used to great (eventual) success. Lock now works spot on and springs back.

I followed Steves words here, posted way back in April 2008:

"Ahhhh the Hartal door lock, remove red and green screw covers and cover with HARTAL writen on it, remove the 4 screws, then you will need to turn the handle assy upside down (on a worktop or bench is best) then remove the circlip and double spring clip, the handle now comes out of the locating apperture, simply file or sand the hole to make biger then reverse the removal procedure, a smear of petroleum jelly wont go a miss either

have fun "

http://www. caravantalk. org. uk/index. php?sh. ..=17903&st=0

Glad you managed to do this so quickly.

I have one question following a quick look at mine the other evening. How easy is it to get the red and green covers off without damaging them? They look like they'll scratch too easy.

Cruzer, aka Colin

The red and green plastic indicators come off really easily with a very sharp hole punch or small sharp screwdriver. Yes they do damage just a bit, but when Miriad replaced the lock they included two new indicators anyway.

As to is this a heavy duty high performance security lock NO WAY!

Oh my God all it takes is a small jemmy and well the rest is history as they say or at least all your valuables are!!

I have spent about half an hour in total today sorting this out, from picking up tools to putting them away.

If you have a Dremel type tool, and circlip pliers it takes minutes to gently ease out the lock where the internal lock catch shaft goes through and polish it all smooth (catch shaft as well), works like a dream now, as smooth as a babies bum with a little silicone grease. Oh and still catches the lock indent properly now, spring return actually returns like it never did from new. B)

Having stripped the lock down it seems the shaft on the internal lock catch is just poorly moulded (size wise) and finished/polished. So any new replacement could be as bad unless the manufacturing process has improved.

Are these locks fitted to an Elddis Avante Club 524 2008 if not how would I make my door lock work more freely as only last week I went to the outside loo and could not get back in the van lucky for me wife had not yet gone to bed (good job we both hadent gone to the loo at the same time ) :blink:

Edited by foodwalla

towing with Mitsubishi delica and Elddis Avante Club 524 2008

I started out with nothing and Ive still got some of it left

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have a Coachman Pastiche 530/4 and this has a Hartal door lock. It worked fine until our latest trip. I unlocked it ok but when I tried to lock it again, the key wouldn't go all the way into the lock cylinder so I couldn't turn the lock.

I took the lock assembly apart to see if there was any obvious reason why this might be happening but saw nothing - unsurprising because the cylinder is a sealed unit. I cleaned the key and lubricated the lock (3-in-1 oil) but still no joy.

I've been in touch with Miriad Products, who I think supply these locks to Coachman and their response was to tell me how much they can sell me a new cylinder & keys for - which is fair enough, I suppose, this lock is nearly 5 years old so they have no obligation to help me in any way.

I know lots of people have experienced stiffness with the Hartal locks turning but I think my problem is different to any I've seen mentioned on here.

Has anyone had the same problem and is there a "known fix" - other than replacing the cylinder & key?

Thanks in advance for any help. I'll need to sort this out ASAP, currently the caravan is back at the storage site with an unlocked main door!

Hi all,

not sticking up for the lock manufacturer the caravan manufacturer or indeed the dealer, but being in the "Door" business I know a little bit about locks. What may I ask happened to QC, PDI ?, it just doesn't exist nowadays, all caravans are handed to the customer with faults, pliers,screwdrivers and super glue will put right half of them on your first couple of weekends away, other major faults may be put right by the dealer after kindly saying to you " Oh thats no bother Mr so and so, bring it back in and we'll put it right for you." Is this really the reason you parted with your hard earned ? to spend weekends away doing PDI checks for free, and did you purchase the 'van anyway to keep taking back to the dealer. It's time British caravan manufacturers and dealers woke up to the fact that there aren't many British cars pulling 'vans nowadays, for the very same reason. Catch ya later,indoors.

" Roughing it, Smoothly " Toyota 3-0 D4D Twincab towing a Hymer Eriba Nova 545 SL