Alko Hitch

pigsfly

Hi

I am a new member here and a new caravaner, I seem to have a problem with the stabalizer bar on my alko hitch. It seems to go down into the correct position ok when I hitch up to my car but I have now done two twos of about 30 miles and both times the stabalizer bar has been found in the unlocked position, is it possible to adjust the hitch and how do I do this or is the problem more difficult thanks in advance for any help

pigsfly

Hello - I had this problem when I first used this stabilizer system and in my case it was due to my bicycle on the rear cycle rack on my car touching the locking bar of the hitch which sprung it up. This was not immediately obvious and I mention this just in case this might be your problem.

Regards

Geoff

There was an early problem that the handbrake lever was flipping the stabiliser handle up when the caravan overrun compressed. ALKO produced a service note several years ago - the solution was to gently (GENTLY) bend the handbrake lever outwards (only a little bit) so that it couldn't contact the stabiliser handle - we had this problem on our Ranger when I changed the hitch for an ALKO 3004. It worked perfectly thereafter. Have a shufti on the ALKO website to see if the service bulletin is still there

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

Hi mateloe Dave

Thanks for the link. I have just looked at the stablizer handle and indeed found some witness marks which seem to confirm your suggestion, the hand brake handle is now a better shape I now look forward to my next weekend with added interest

Hi,

I would suggest that next time you hitch up, reverse the car with caravan attached and have someone watch the hitch. Reversing will cause the hitch to fully retract and then you can see if there is anything fouling the handle.

Brian