How Do You Remove Mould From Rubber Seals?

matt

Where the front and rear panels join onto the sides of the caravan theres a combination of hard rubber (usually grey) and ally strips/ mouldings etc. There are sections on ours, mainly toward the front of the van, where the rubber seals seem to have black mould ingrained into them. Nothing seems to touch this discolouration - is there any product that will clean these rubber strips up? Thanks :)

Edited by matt

Hi, I am assuming you are referring the inserts in the aluminium seam covers/awning rail ??. You can actually buy new insert material by the metre ( e-Bay) and it is quite easy to fit. You can also get a variety of colours if you fancy a change, I got some burgundy insert this year (matching the graphics and coach line colour) and replaced my grey ones which were badly discoloured.

Just put " awning rail insert " into the buying search and you will find them.

You need to prise a piece of the old out first though to find what width you need.

Hope this helps, cheers Mike R

Bathroom Mould and Mildew remover and a small nail brush. .

I certainly like the idea though of putting a new one in -- can you get crimson??

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold 😥) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club

Spray some neat fenwicks caravan cleaner or road traffic film removal onto it and leave for 5 minutes then either hard toothbrush or nail brush as suggested and it should come out quite easily. Be sure to give it a good rinse to remove all the cleaner.

I dont think its the inserts, its more a fixture (I think) I did try try neat Fenwicks on a cloth and rubbed hard but it didnt touch it as it seemed to be ingrained. I'll try some mouldy remover next. Looking at other vans in the compound, they've all got this problem with older vans than ours (4 years) showing the rubber strip as nearly black with all the discolouration

Where the front and rear panels join onto the sides of the caravan theres a combination of hard rubber (usually grey) and ally strips/ mouldings etc. There are sections on ours, mainly toward the front of the van, where the rubber seals seem to have black mould ingrained into them. Nothing seems to touch this discolouration - is there any product that will clean these rubber strips up? Thanks :)

Hi, had a thought about what i have in the garage to freshen up the inserts, mine being green. Tried tyre cleaner after taking one out and it came up good, however down the dealers they were selling it at . 85 per metre so bought 12 m to see how it went and was not worth the trouble of cleaning them.

• 2 weeks later...

Bleach based products are normally best for cleaning mould & mildew, but will probably perish the rubber- I'd try either hydrogen peroxide or neat lemon juice with sunlight as your best bet.