Caravan Engineers

alanperry52

Mentioned in the Retired Caravanners Association Newsletter received today. ..there is a Mobile Caravan Engineers Association (MCEA), which has self-employed members throughout UK I believe. .....

Website is www. mobilecaravanengineers. co. uk or ring 01249-651-036. .......

No I don't know if any of them are Chartered Engineers. ........

rgds

Geoff

FICS,FInstTA,FIFF,MILog

. ......................Not one of which qualifies me to change a lightbulb in someones caravan!

But as one of my former Bosses used to say " I have a full stop after my name,and it works"!

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Sorry squire dont know any one up your end, pitty your not down here, is there a problem i can help you with ??

Hiya yes i have a problem regards my truma ultrastore, the heater works on gas okay but i just noticed last week i doesent work on electric i have read that there is a thermal cut out to prevent the element from overheating in the event of trying to heat up with no water in the tank and i think that is what has happened here as we let the kids in the vn during the week when at home as to heat up the caravan using the ultraheater you flick on the same switch above the door anyway i assume that the element is done in and i want top get a price to supply and fit a new one but first i will get it checked by a electrician to make sure that the switch fuse etc are okay and power is actually getting to the element before i hire a technician to do the job the main dealer workshop have estimated that it will be at least a two hour job @ £58 per hour for labour + parts approx £90 that is over £200 just seems expensive that is why i am looking for other independent technicians to give me a price. I would tackle the the job on my own but it looks quite a tricky job as i think the tank needs to be removed for access to the element, if you can offer any advice before i take the plunge and go to the dealers i will take it on board and it is very much appreciated.

Hiya yes i have a problem regards my truma ultrastore, the heater works on gas okay but i just noticed last week i doesent work on electric i have read that there is a thermal cut out to prevent the element from overheating in the event of trying to heat up with no water in the tank and i think that is what has happened here as we let the kids in the vn during the week when at home as to heat up the caravan using the ultraheater you flick on the same switch above the door anyway i assume that the element is done in and i want top get a price to supply and fit a new one but first i will get it checked by a electrician to make sure that the switch fuse etc are okay and power is actually getting to the element before i hire a technician to do the job the main dealer workshop have estimated that it will be at least a two hour job @ £58 per hour for labour + parts approx £90 that is over £200 just seems expensive that is why i am looking for other independent technicians to give me a price. I would tackle the the job on my own but it looks quite a tricky job as i think the tank needs to be removed for access to the element, if you can offer any advice before i take the plunge and go to the dealers i will take it on board and it is very much appreciated.

Alan what van do you have, £ 90 for an element, there having your pants down i wouldn,t be paying more than £50, and two hours seems a bit long, i myself would be giving you a bill for under £100 even if i did have to move the ultrastore

Don't wish to be pedantic but I will.

The people who maintain caravans may be skilled and experienced but neither they or the people who maintain your car are Engineers. They are technicians.

Engineers are qualified to degree standard and have passed other exams to become Engineers. They are members of professional Institutions

poolebob C. Eng. , M. I. C. E.

I really think you have nothing else to do but be Pedantic, i have several certificates that say Service Engineer on them and when asked my trade i reply Caravan Service Engineer, what is it, why do people like your self have to annoy the tits of people like my self who give out FREE advise, i would save your daft remarks and try and put some thing more posative and constructive into the forum, its people like yourself that really annoy me :angry::angry::angry:

Alan what van do you have, £ 90 for an element, there having your pants down i wouldn,t be paying more than £50, and two hours seems a bit long, i myself would be giving you a bill for under £100 even if i did have to move the ultrastore

Hiya thanks for the FREE advice we all arent experts on caravans and that is why i use this type of of forum and i am always willing to listen to folks like yourself who offer advice anyway back to my original problem my caravan is an 2004 model Elddis Avante 534. I would feel pretty confident of changing the element myself but to get the part from the tank i think the tank would have to come away from its position to allow sufficient room as the area where the table stores encroaches into the space where you have to work in.

I doubt you need to change the element, just reset it. To do this, find the white plug that is normally fitted about 18 inches away from the element and with the mains connected pull it apart and push it back togeather again a few times. This will reset the cut out. You would think that switching it on and off a few times would do the same thing but it dont for some reason. Make sure you always switch it off before draining down, because this is most likely why it went in the first place.

TB

Don't wish to be pedantic but I will.

The people who maintain caravans may be skilled and experienced but neither they or the people who maintain your car are Engineers. They are technicians.

Engineers are qualified to degree standard and have passed other exams to become Engineers. They are members of professional Institutions

poolebob C. Eng. , M. I. C. E.

(Off topic and totally out of order)

pete. b admin

en⋅gi⋅neer   /ˌɛndʒəˈnɪər/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [en-juh-neer] Show IPA

–noun

1. a person trained and skilled in the design, construction, and use of engines or machines, or in any of various branches of engineering: a mechanical engineer; a civil engineer.

2. a person who operates or is in charge of an engine.

3. Also called locomotive engineer. Railroads. a person who operates or is in charge of a locomotive.

4. a member of an army, navy, or air force specially trained in engineering work.

5. a skillful manager: a political engineer.

Edited by princejim

If he is indeed wise he does not bid you enter the house of wisdom, but rather leads you to the threshold of your own mind.

Kahlil Gibran