Peugeot 407sw For Towing No Chance!

princejim

Bought the 407SW for my daughter to tow the new Caravan with, the reason for the 407SW was, I did not want a 4x4 with the climate thing. Also wanted to try and buy British, I know Peugeot are not British, but they have car plants in this country. Had the van on only twice and over a couple of weeks ago my daughter said she thought the clutch was slipping, without the van? And after taking it out I accelerated in fourth and sure enough the clutch was slipping, booked it in for a check at the local Peugeot dealership, the clutch and dualmass flywheel need to be changed, £1100. This is on a car that has only done 22k miles of which only 100 miles has been with the van on the back? I was told that Peugeot only warranty the clutch for 20k miles??? The car being out of warranty anyway by a few months, all costs would have to be found by myself!! Looking on the web this seems to be a common fault my daughter panicked and went out and exchanged the car for the Kai Sportage loosing 3k in the process, so much for trying to buy British. Will be writing to Peugoet.

Edited by princejim

If he is indeed wise he does not bid you enter the house of wisdom, but rather leads you to the threshold of your own mind.

Kahlil Gibran

Looking on the web this seems to be a common fault

I can assure you, it isn't. I belong to three Citroen forums and the failure of DMFs hardly ever get a mention. The only guy who did have a failure replaced his clutch with a four part kit at a cost of around £250. My own C5 has the same engine and transmission as your 407 and it is now on 55000 miles. So far it has pulled the caravan down to southern Spain and back four times.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

My brother has a 407 HDI, clutch went at less than 28K (towing the van to Cornwall).

Again Pug wanted nothing to do with it, a bill of nigh-on 1K, and he spent most of his holiday without a car ( the garage was too busy to look at it for the first week - a Pug dealer!).

Up to about 12 years ago I had a string of 405/406s as company cars and they were excellent - certainly miles ahead of the Sierra/Cavaliers, but the dealers were without exception (and I tried at least a dozen) utterly garbage at best. That bit hasn`t changed.

Best bit - I got a brand new 405 which was deafening on the motorway, when I took it back to the supplying dealer they wouldn`t fix it as "Peugeot don`t pay us for diagnosis, only repair". So if I told them what was causing the problem they would fix it, but they wouldn`t try to find out. .

If there is any justice they are all out of work now.

Edited by angus

After the problems that my brother-in-law had with his Laguna I would'nt have a French car thrown at me . I had a Pug 106 too, that fell to bit's (wife's car) . My boss too had a Laguna and the dealers could'nt fix a problem with the rear brake's . In the end he exchanged it for another company car . . . . a Saab :D

gallery_1122_263_66.jpg

I would'nt have a French car thrown at me . I had a Pug 106 too, that fell to bit's

Some of us just love French cars! We have four of the beauties in the family. The oldest two, a Saxo and a Pug 306 are both eleven years old and haven't been back to the garage since they were new - except for their MOT inspections. Also a Citroen Xsara which is seven years old. That too hasn't needed the garage except for it's first year service. Then there's my C5 mentioned in post 2. All four need new MOTs in the next two months.

Edited by John Douglas

Some of us just love French cars! We have four of the beauties in the family. The oldest two, a Saxo and a Pug 306 are both eleven years old and haven't been back to the garage since they were new - except for their MOT inspections. Also a Citroen Xsara which is seven years old. That too hasn't needed the garage except for it's first year service. Then there's my C5 mentioned in post 2. All four need new MOTs in the next two months.

If you think there is no problem try: http://www. peugeotcentral. co. uk/modules. ph. ..opic&p=8883

If he is indeed wise he does not bid you enter the house of wisdom, but rather leads you to the threshold of your own mind.

Kahlil Gibran

Just in the process of swapping ours as it started doing the same thing the 2nd time we towed the van (easter ) Only 37000 on the clock. Shame as its a lovely looking car, but needs must, getting a new mondeo 2. 2 tdci titanium x with sports pack on saturday. Got a place booked 5th may. Will let you all know how it performs

Swift Challenger 560 (2007) with Reich Motor Mover & Ford Mondeo 2. 2 Titanium X TDCI (08 ) with Sports pack

A lovely Husband & 3 lively Yorkshire Terriers!!

Wife's uncle also had a 407SW with clutch failure at 32k miles / 2 years and he doesn't tow.

Cheers

Lee

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

Also wanted to try and buy British, I know Peugeot are not British, but they have car plants in this country.

Not any more. The former Peugeot plant in Coventry closed a couple of years ago and has now been demolished and levelled.

Brian

I've had plenty of older French cars, Ren 18 MKII, had this for years !! Craking car apart from some earthing problems on lights also had a Pug 306 1. 9 diesel M reg that I kept for over 3 years . I swopped it a builder who built me a porch !!

gallery_1122_263_66.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Come on anyone got anything good to say about the 407. I was about to buy one this Tuesday. Its a lovely 06 407sw 2. 0hdi sport with 40000mls. Done the deal but can back out of it which I'm thinking of doing having read the reports. I even tracked done the previous owner who says there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. They have no reason to lie as they no longer own it.

So has anyone had any trouble free years with their 407?

I owned a 406 previous to my Volvo but wasnt a good match for my caravan though it was a fantastic reliable car. Now the Volvo is playing up with the catalytic converter on its way out, just my luck.

Paul

Edited by paulni

Come on anyone got anything good to say about the 407.

I can't see that a 407 can be much different to my C5. Same engine, same transmission, same DMF - just different suspension and body. My C5 is now on 53000 miles, has not required any work other than servicing and has just passed its third MOT. Ian Dunning (forum member) until recently towed with a 307. I don't recall that he ever faulted its performance.

I can't see that a 407 can be much different to my C5. Same engine, same transmission, same DMF - just different suspension and body. My C5 is now on 53000 miles, has not required any work other than servicing and has just passed its third MOT. Ian Dunning (forum member) until recently towed with a 307. I don't recall that he ever faulted its performance.

The other thing about the 407sw it has the automatic tyre pressure monitoring, when you take it to have new tyres the first thing the guy said was, can’t guarantee I can do this without breaking the pressure sensor, can’t put a normal valve in, if the original breaks you are looking at £70 for a new one? Or something like that.

Jim.

Kahlil Gibran

when you take it to have new tyres the first thing the guy said was, can’t guarantee I can do this without breaking the pressure sensor

My C5 also has pressure sensors in all four wheels and it is now on its third set of front tyres - yes! it does quickly knock the front treads out - but there hasn't been a problem with fitting new ones. A problem only arises if the spare which hasn't a sensor is fitted. It confuses the computer.

Come on anyone got anything good to say about the 407.

Paul

No they are rubbish.

Long story but ive been involved with fleets for the last 20 years, including my own car hire firm a while ago, and the 407 never ever ever took any kind of abuse or high mileage. Im not even talking mega miles, 100k was lucky without some huge engine, or gearbox failure. Total rubbish.

As for the C5 being the same car underneath, technically yes they are. But the C5 has a complete different mapping structure to the 407, and it shows.

The C5 is a brilliant, but under stated machine. The 407 is without doubt, junk.

We had multiple orders on 407's due to the reliability and eaze of work and parts on the previous 406, which was a brilliant machine.

But the 407 never ever has cut it, and all were replaced with far superior Mondeos.

(Dont touch Vectras either, parts are ridiculous).

If your going for the looks of the 407, then fair enough. But if you want the mechanicals, stick the C5 badge on your driveway.

Or the Mondeo.

(Id have the C5, unbelievably good to drive, tow and run. love em).

In Consilio Sapienta

tn_gallery_1122_263_6791.jpg

Hi Jim,

I had a 307 clutch slip at very young age (Ican't remember the milage but if you do search I did comment on here) and was told, by the dealer, that Peugeot wouldn't entertain a warranty claim. I simply didn't accept this and a phone call to Peugeot resulted in a full clutch replacement without any problem though they did say they would only pay 75% I fought it and received the whole repair FOC,

Regards,

Ian.

Bailey Unicorn Vigo and a 2017 Ford S Max and a Mercedes SLK AMG Sport 9 speed, my mid life crisis solver.

Hi, didn't go ahead with the deal. Keeping the Volvo for a while longer until I find something else. Too many negative reports on the 407.

Paul :(

Clutch in my Peugeot 307cc went after 14,000 car was out of warranty as was four years old, had low mileage as it was the 'playing out car'.

My local garage replaced the full clutch for £225 in a day.

I had had quotes of up to £560.

[

• 4 years later...

I think any of the cars with the DMF seem prone to the thing flying in a million pieces I know of quite a few people changing them out to a one piece unit.

2004 landcruiser LC5 1997 ABI Marauder

I think any of the cars with the DMF seem prone to the thing flying in a million pieces I know of quite a few people changing them out to a one piece unit.

If you swap out the dual mass flywheel for a solid one you will lose the damping effect between the engine and gearbox. There is a risk of stressing the crankshaft, and when that snaps some of the connecting rods and pistons will knock the sump off on their way onto the tarmac. :blink:

This happened to a mate of mine who had a Citroen Synergie (lovely people carrier) who had done the DMF conversion.

Land Rover is now back towing.

The other thing about the 407sw it has the automatic tyre pressure monitoring, when you take it to have new tyres the first thing the guy said was, cant guarantee I can do this without breaking the pressure sensor, cant put a normal valve in, if the original breaks you are looking at £70 for a new one? Or something like that.

Jim.

Well he must have been a sh*t tyre fitter then.

I know two mechanics who do tyres and never had a problem with them. One has just done the tyres on my primera that has them no problem.

My other car had steel wheels. These have just been changed for alloys off a higher spec that has sensors. so he changed them to normal valves.

Just beginning our adventure. 95% of my time on CT I use my phone. As a result correct spelling and grammer will be used sparingly. This is due to fat fingers. Please don't let it bother you.

holythreadresurrectionbye1.jpg

Couldn't remember posting on this thread.

No wonder, from 2009. :)

Cheers

Lee

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

No wonder, from 2009. :)

Yes - certainly one dredged up from the distant past. Incidentally the C5 I mentioned in post No. 2 is still my tow car, having just turned past the 100K mark. And still on its original DMF, but when the time comes I'll act on the advice of a couple of independant Citroen technicians and fit a solid flywheel conversion.

Just to offer a bit of balance, had one for over a year, brilliant car.

Only issue was tyre sensors as they corrode, common fault. Easy fix though, get sensors turned off for £20 then put on standard plastic ones, fiver each.

When not towing 45+ mpg, when towing 35 mpg.

Quick and very refined engine. I am selling mine for a ssangyong, but the father in law is buying it.

Like all makes and models there are issues, even new jap cars now are having issues

The other thing about the 407sw it has the automatic tyre pressure monitoring, when you take it to have new tyres the first thing the guy said was, can’t guarantee I can do this without breaking the pressure sensor, can’t put a normal valve in, if the original breaks you are looking at £70 for a new one? Or something like that.

Jim.

Dealer price is actually 170 each

eBay is 40 each

Or just turn them off and replace with normal valves