What Tow Car For £5k To £7k

IanH

We would like to take up caravanning but we understand that our current car isn’t very good for towing (Renault Laguna II 1. 8 petrol). We would like a four birth van that is about 4 to 5 years old &t has a good set of features.

What type of car should we go for? I like the Ford focus but that also doesn’t seem a good tower. What do you guys think would be a good vehicle, I would prefer an estate car and not a 4X4, a small but powerful estate car (is there such a thing??)

Thanks for your help

Ian

Edited by IanH

We would like to take up caravanning but we understand that our current car isn’t very good for towing (Renault Laguna II 1. 8 petrol). We would like a four birth van that is about 4 to 5 years old &t has a good set of features.

What type of car should we go for? I like the Ford focus but that also doesn’t seem a good tower. What do you guys think would be a good vehicle, I would prefer an estate car and not a 4X4, a small but powerful estate car (is there such a thing??)

Thanks for your help

Ian

Eighteen months ago I picked up an X Reg (2000) 5 Series BMW Automatic Saloon with 76k on the clock and full service history for £5k

We towed all over Britain with it last year and it was a dream.

I often forgot we had the van on the back.

- Wilkie

Thanks for your help

Ian

You couldn't do better than a Mk3 diesel Mondeo for 5 or 6 grand. Will tow up to 1450kg easily and is a nice car to drive. B)

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

Hi there Ian. I tow with an 2004 volvo s60 diesel D5 2. 4. Its fantastic to tow with and the fuel economy is good and you don't struggle pulling up hills. Its great with cruise on the motorway. The volvo v70 diesel estate would be good aswell.

Steve

Edited by fleetwoodman

Stevie. m

s60 d5-------- 1995 Fleetwood Garland

Hi Ian,

Most of the good towcars have been mentioned. Just make sure you get a diesel and not a petrol as the torque characteristics of a diesel are more suited to towing than a petrol, and they are easier on your wallet.

Brian

You couldn't do better than a Mk3 diesel Mondeo for 5 or 6 grand. Will tow up to 1450kg easily and is a nice car to drive. B)

This would be my suggestion to. Not towed with a mk 3 but have a mk 4 and it's an excellent tow car.

<p>2007 Sterling Cruach Cuillin & 2016 Volvo XC60 SE D4 190

Hi Ian,

Most of the good towcars have been mentioned. Just make sure you get a diesel and not a petrol as the torque characteristics of a diesel are more suited to towing than a petrol, and they are easier on your wallet.

Brian

Easier on your wallet I agree but don't dismiss all petrols.

My 3. 0V6 petrol Mondeo tows far better than my TDCi Mondeo did. It's slightly down on maximum torque but it has lower gearing which means more torque gets to the wheels. Maximum torque is lower but the diesel has a sharp peak and then the torque tails off rapidly, the V6 has 80% of torque avialable from 1500rpm to 6000rpm flexibiliy the diesel can only dream of. Solo 5th pulls strongly from 20mph and tops out at 150mph.

As the gearing is lower it's far easier to pull away from a standstill with the van on the back and 6th is perfectly usable on the V6 where the TDCi struggles to tow in 6th on anything other than flat or downhill.

I get 10mpg less when towing and 15mpg less solo but it's a better tow car and as a solo drive it's in a different league. Tax and insurance are higher but the purchase price second hand is much lower and petrol is cheaper than diesel which offsets the cost a little.

Also remember the petrol 2. 5T Mk4 Mondeo won Tow Car Of The Year.

Cheers

Lee

Edited by logiclee

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

It would be really refreshing - and useful - to occasionally have the odd subjective answer to questions like the OP, rather than everyone predictably nominating their current vehicle.

It would be really refreshing - and useful - to occasionally have the odd subjective answer to questions like the OP, rather than everyone predictably nominating their current vehicle.

The reason I promote my current vehicle is because in my opinion it is the best car for my circumstances, and I have owned other vehicles over the last 40 years. :)

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

Hi Angus

It really is hard to suggest a car unless owned or driven by yourself surely, and as most people move

up in power and weight and number of driven wheels it will usually be the current car, and as long as

the OP looks at all the suggestions (or the signature lines of members?) they will have an idea of what

is commonly in use and can decide that way.

neil

Bailey S5 Pageant Auvergne & Vauxhall Signum CDTI

I take your point Neil, what I am getting at is how many people actually drive a selection of cars in the first place?

If someone drives a Mondeo all day, every day and tows with it adequately they will rush into print and say "buy a Mondeo!" - usually not having tried, or towed with anything else.

Similarly, Artleknock has owned other cars over the last 40 years, an his current car is "the best car for his circumstances", but is that compared with other class contenders or a 1959 Ford Prefect for example?

Even a `Towcar of the Year` is just that - THE YEAR - it has to be new or modified and may not even be as competent as the previous years winner ( or runner-up).

My car is a previous TCOY, but I`m not `recommending` it because as it`s entirely adequate, I haven`t tried all the alternatives (but I have driven a lot of them) and wouldn`t wish to be responsible for someone making a mistake in their purchase.

There is also a huge amount of brand loyalty which distorts things, and people buy brands because they always have ( my dad has always bought Fords - even though the dealer treats him like dirt when he buys a new one every three years - amazing!).

The same happens with caravans. If someone asks "should I buy a Swift/Elddis/Coachman/etc?" you can almost guarantee that the owners of said `vans will reply with a "Get what I`ve got". Nobody likes to admit mistakes, it appears that no-one makes them either.

I take your point Neil, what I am getting at is how many people actually drive a selection of cars in the first place?

I take your point but it's obvious that people are going to say how good or bad their own cars are as that's what they know the most about. As long as you have a cross section of posts then things usually balance up.

I find those posts fine as long as you don't make too many generalisations like don't buy a petrol or only buy an auto.

In my first post on this thread I was able to make direct comparisons because I've owned both the TDCi Mondeo and the 3. 0V6 Mondeo, from personal experience I know which is the better car although the V6 may not suit all pockets.

Some people like myself do get to drive a lot of cars, I have hire cars through work a few times a month so have driven most of the medium to large hatch / saloon sector. Couldn't advice on towing with them though.

I have been towing caravans, car transporters and industrial trailers for over twenty years and in that time I've owned 26 cars myself. Does give you an insight into what makes a good towcar but I'd never recommend one if I hadn't towed with it first.

Cheers

Lee

Yeti 2.0TDi EU6 150 DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Fabia TSi DSG, Swift Challenger.

Guest Surfer

Sell your car privately then buy a car that is just over 10 years and then trade it in to get the £2000 the government is offering plus the money that you got from the sale of your original car and you should be able to get a reasonable late model car that would be adequate for towing.

Sell your car privately then buy a car that is just over 10 years and then trade it in to get the £2000 the government is offering plus the money that you got from the sale of your original car and you should be able to get a reasonable late model car that would be adequate for towing.

Sorry this won't work. The government have thought of that. To qualify you have to have owned the car for 12 months and its only valid for the purchase of a new car. The government is only giving £1000 and the other £1000 has to come form the car manufacturer

Brian

Guest Surfer
Sorry this won't work. The government have thought of that. To qualify you have to have owned the car for 12 months and its only valid for the purchase of a new car. The government is only giving £1000 and the other £1000 has to come form the car manufacturer

Brian

Damn I knew there was a catch somewhere! :D I wonder how many car manufacturers are going to take them up on this. IMHO all the dealer will do is redcue what they woudl normally ofer as a trade in. Although my vehicle is older than 10 years it is worth more than £2000!

How many people who have the money to buy a new car run around in a 10 year old banger?

I can't see many taking this up.

Cheers

Lee

For that money you can get an 05 VW Passat ( new shape) 140ps 6spd with about 75k on clock, dont let the anti dual mass clutch doom and gloom people put you off, it is a great car, Just get mechanical breakdown cover such as Car Care Plan on any car you get ( Backed by the CSMA so cant be all that bad)

we get in excess of 50mpg on motorway runs keeping up with the herd, and up to 30mpg townig UK and 25mpg France ( keeping up with the herd :rolleyes: )

and £145 tax ( this year )

This reply was crafted by HWMBO

Edited by flowergirl

Thanks for your help

Ian

nothing wrong with focus as tow cars the zetec have sports pack wich cpoes very well, the later autos have a limited max tow wieght of only 800kgs except the estate auto would advised looking at the 2. 0 turbo diesels or the 2. 0 petrol as the smaller engines have the power but you do need to make them work harder. i used a 52 plate 1. 6 auto for my bailey loaded at 1087 kgs and have toured the lench and breadth of scotland stability was excellant fuel econamy around 23mpg, i did need to use 3rd gear a lot [4 speed box] have recently replaced it with a 2. 0 auto ghia estate and again stabilty very good the need to use 3rd gear hardly arises and fuel is now 27mpg. i would reccomend focus in estate only as they have higher towing limits and higher noseweith limits or as stated use the mondeo.

Edited by mark elliott