Abbie V Bailey

Chipy

Hi All,

New here and have a few questions regarding caravan makes. I am about to buy a Bailey Senator Wyoming 2008 from a dealer and was wondering how this compares to the other makes that all have this same layout. End bathroom, fixed bed on the left, twin axle. Abbey and Stirling have their own equivalents but im not sure which to go for. They are all around the same price but I have herd that bailey are not a patch on abbey in the quality department but you get more for your money with Bailey.

Can anyone shed any light and help on my choice?

Thanks

Chipy

We're changing from a Sterling (made by the same group as Abbey and identical apart from upholstery) to a Bailey Senator - quite honestly I don't think there is a difference in the quality nowadays. Each brand has elements that are better than another brand - it boils down really to which you like and the price you want to pay. Friends have had a Senator for almost 3 years and have no problems with it at all.

NE Scotland

Unicorn Valencia pulled by Merc E280 cdi sport

We're changing from a Sterling (made by the same group as Abbey and identical apart from upholstery) to a Bailey Senator - quite honestly I don't think there is a difference in the quality nowadays. Each brand has elements that are better than another brand - it boils down really to which you like and the price you want to pay. Friends have had a Senator for almost 3 years and have no problems with it at all.

Like the previous poster says, boils down down to preference and price, my preference will always be Bailey for a number of reasons i won't go into now, but if you read through all the threads on here re problems with Chargers, damp, poor workmanship and finish, misting up windows, leaking sinks and an almost permanant presence on here from the Swiftgroup answering daily problems, it goes on and on, then form your own opinion as i have.

Phil.

Edited by phil1041

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

I agree it has to be personal choice - my previous caravan was a new S5 Bailey Pageant Provence and I have always said that Bailey produce caravans with a value for money tag - however for my money, Swift gets the build quality accolade !!

2005 Kia Sorento 2. 5 Auto towing 2011 Conqueror 645

We went to look at the Baileys and Swift/ Sterling this weekend to see what is new as we hadn't been to a dealer for a couple of years.

To us the Swift were far superior to Bailey, both in quality and styling. In fact the Senators looked identical to the last time we looked. Very dated. The Pagents looked more modern by far.

We have never had a Bailey due to the build quality, IE ply edges showing, corner brackets on show etc and we still won't looking at the new vans.

I liked to one piece panels on the Swift too.

Toyota Alphard towing a Vanmaster Applause.

Hi All

Thanks for all your replies and suggestions. In all it will come down to money and the fact that a NEW caravan usually always has a few teething problems. The Abbies are well built and I do like the fact they are a one piece design but the Baileys are very good value for money.

I would like to have both models lined up next to each other so I could make a fair comparison. On saying this our local dealer Chichister Caravans in the South East has a new Wyoming and a new Spectrum in stock and they arnt all that different. The 08 Wyoming is coming in to the dealer this Saturday so I will keep you posted.

Thanks

Chipy

I have had a 08 Senator Wyoming and now have an 09 Swift Conqueror. As others have said, it's all down to buget and personal choice. I have had 5 new Baileys in the past and have been pleased with all of them, although in my view and opinion, the build on Senator Series 6 isn't a patch on Senator 5 - others may disagree.

When changing to an end washroom two berth earlier this year I was able to have both a Series 6 Vermont and the Conqueror 480 side by side to compare - the Conqueror, apart from looking a fab 'van, won hands down for quality to me. That, and the Customer Service that Swift provide swayed my choice although I know many of my caravan friends were surprised by my choice.

I'm delighted with my new 'van and I hope you are with yours - whatever you choose in the end.

2011 S Max Titanium Powershift

2011 Citroen C3 Picasso Exclusive

2011 Swift Conqueror 570 Special Equipment

'If I'd Been Born Thirty Years Later They Would Call It ADHD'

When we were looking for our fixed bed twin axle we really liked the Bailey Senator Wyoming but the price tag was higher than our set budget we then looked at the Bailey Pageant Limousin which i found dissapointing compared to the senator's finish also we weren't to fond of the teak finish we then looked at the swift charisma 620 which was the same finish as our 570 we then looked at the Abbey vogue2 620 which we fell in love with, the finish easily as good as the senator also the deal we were offered was too good to miss about £4500 less than the senator

Personal opinion - since we got our Ranger at the beginning of 2005 Bailey build quality has got progressively poorer with each series released.

Earlier this year we were looking at new vans, and the Swifts appeared to be much more subtantial in terms of internal fittings vs the Senator range. Obviosuly this isn't based on experience of owning either van, but more an objective side by side view at the dealers.

On one note, Bailey 6 year warranties are very good for bodywork issues. Not sure how Swift matches up against this.

"Scars are souvenirs you never loose"

2010 Swift Charisma Freestyle 550 + 2007 Nissan Pathfinder Aventura.

Whenever a question like this is asked you will always get some very strong and possibly biased opinions against and in favour of both.

I had a Bailey Senator Arizona and when I changed to a fixed bed model 2 years ago I went for an Abbey 418gts. The only reason I didn't go for the Bailey model ( or Sterling, Ace or Swift ) was personal taste.

I preferred the lighter wood and colour scheme of the Abbey and, to me, some of the fittings in the Bailey looked and felt like they were bought from 'Poundland'.

From my recent personal experience of both there isn't anything to choose between them in terms of build quality or warranties and all of the appliances are mostly supplied from the same companies ( Carver, Electrolux, Truma, etc. )

Choose whichever one you prefer the look of. It's as simple as that.

Volvo XC60 Momentum Pro D4 pulling an Elddis Crusader Mistral

Is it likely that the resale value of the Abbey will fall more because they are no longer made ?

Bill

Is it likely that the resale value of the Abbey will fall more because they are no longer made ?

Bill

Not sure about the resale value but I am sure there are some good bargains out there at the moment as dealers sell off the Abbey and Ace range which have been dropped from the Swift camp line up.

Gerry

2005 Kia Sorento 2. 5 Auto towing 2011 Conqueror 645

You pays your money and takes your choice as the saying goes - there isn't a lot of difference in the quality, it mainly comes down to what you want in the van. Standard items in one, might be optional extras in another so it generally come down to price v equipment v service (if you need service - fortunately we haven't). There are and always will be horror stories, sometimes these are made worse by people's attitudes (both customers and dealers). More people complain on these forums than praise so you'll probably get a false view of any make. Find a decent dealer, find the van you like and then go for it, if it's secondhand and well looked after then any teething troubles should be way behind you.

We are everso happy with our Bailey Pageant, had a Ranger before and we were very happy with that as well, and would look at Bailey's first for our next van (in fact my wife is everso smitten with the Pageant Sancerre or possibly the Senator Calafornia - she really wants a Wyoming but our car isn't big enough).

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

Not sure about the resale value but I am sure there are some good bargains out there at the moment as dealers sell off the Abbey and Ace range which have been dropped from the Swift camp line up.

Gerry

I'm sure it's the same with Ace but I was at an Abbey dealers last Saturday and there were some cracking deals on the latest models and except for the decals everything else is the same as the other Swift models so spares shouldn't be a problem.

Bill