Blowouts!!!!

brightredrover

I am hoping that someone can offer me some advice on an important topic.

We have a Sterling Europa 540c, less than 3 years old.

We have had a blow out on both caravn tyres in the past 12 months!!!!

Facts and Figures

The tyre pressure was checked before both trips

We were not exceeding speed limits at the time

1st time it was raining and 2nd time it was sunny

The van was not overladen and was packed well

Both times it went was at the end of trips to Spain (so therefore long journeys)

Luckily the stabilsers kicked in and i could control it but i am now highly concerned that it will happen again!!!

Any advice?

I am hoping that someone can offer me some advice on an important topic.

We have a Sterling Europa 540c, less than 3 years old.

We have had a blow out on both caravn tyres in the past 12 months!!!!

Facts and Figures

The tyre pressure was checked before both trips

We were not exceeding speed limits at the time

1st time it was raining and 2nd time it was sunny

The van was not overladen and was packed well

Both times it went was at the end of trips to Spain (so therefore long journeys)

Luckily the stabilsers kicked in and i could control it but i am now highly concerned that it will happen again!!!

Any advice?

Have you checked the manufactures date on side of tyre. It has been known that some tyres are 2 years old when delivered, making yours 5 years even if the tread is ok there might be cracks.

Have you checked the manufactures date on side of tyre. It has been known that some tyres are 2 years old when delivered, making yours 5 years even if the tread is ok there might be cracks.

We have just had all 3 tyres on our 2007 Elddis replaced under warranty as the sidewalls were cracking(the tyres were matador) they were fine when i checked them before our 500 mile round trip but when we got home the sidewalls had cracked(we had the spare changed as a matter of course),we contacted tyreline who supply the main caravan manufacturers and they said there had been a bad batch of tyres,i sent pics of the cracking and they replaced the tyres free of charge and paid for the fitting aswell.

2012 Freelander SD4 HSE towing a 2007 Elddis Sunstyle GT 482

Pasted from elsewhere on this forum -

The Swift Group are currently running a pro-active campaign in conjunction with our supplier regarding the Matador tyres fitted to some of our caravans. This campaign is not a safety recall as the cracking on the tyres is considered to be cosmetic.

Letters have been sent to all of our customers affected by this campaign detailing what action needs to be taken to resolve the issue.

We are asking our customers to check the tyres fitted to their caravans for the following information:

Tyre Size – 195/70 R 14 96S MP42 Elite Matador

DOT Number – 40/05 through to 46/05

If your tyres fall into the above category we would ask that you contact your supplying Swift Group Dealer who will be able to arrange for the tyres to be replaced.

If your tyres fall outside of this range your tyres are not affected by this campaign.

If you have any concerns over your tyres please contact Tyre Line on 01327 701000, your supplying dealer or the Swift Group Customer Care Team on 01482 875740.

Hi Brightredrover,

As says rd57chad has said if you want to contact us or Tyreline we can tell if your tyres were affected by the Matador issue.

Here is a good do industry document on tyres;

http://www. tyresafe. org/data/files/caravan%2008. pdf

Thanks

Andy

Swift Group Website: www. swiftgroup. co. uk

Swift Group Handbooks: www. swiftgroup. co. uk/caravans/handbooks

Thanks for the replies.

Unfortunately the tyre is a right mess and is very shredded. I can read the following on the tyre. it is matador.

DOT J352

175/75 R14 C99/98

175R 14

MPS 310

not sure if any of that means anything?

I have got a pic but dont know how to upload it!

I to have suffered a blow out in France. The tyre was shredded and went through the floor and damaged the water pipes.

I had no problem stopping as I had Tyron bands fitted. I have have had them fitted to all my vans since and will continue to do so.

Bear in mind that when abroad we travel long distances in hot weather.

Colin

Edited by Colbre

Kia Sedona 2. 9TS CDI 2008/Swift Challenger 580 2009

Hi Brightredrover,

I can confirm we have received your e-mail, and have passed your enquiry onto Tyreline, and will respond to you with their comments.

Thanks,

Ash

I have a question. .......how can we tell how old our tyres are?

Ours are "Aurora" they say DOT 5MCX Y9 A

I don't see anything that is obviously a date.

Is the date code always in the same place?

Edited by jennifernn

Jennifer

Sterling Elite Searcher, Volvo XC90 SE D5 Auto

You should see a 4 digit code, in smaller text, on the sidewall. Using the example from Tyresafe, 1807 means they were produced in Week 18 2007.

Ash

Yes, we looked at the example on Tyresafe, but we cannot see a 4 digit number following the DOT details. Is it always right after the DOT, could it be on the inside wall of the tyre which we cannot see?

Jennifer

On the Aurora, the date stamp is located just after the tyre size, on the markings close to the wheel rim itself.

Ash

Right, we did not find any numbers after the tyre size, but on one of the tyres on the offside (usually right up against our boundary so not easily visible) we found a number after the DOT number, it says 4107, so made in week 41 of 2007, which is ok for a van delivered March 2008.

On the other 3 tyres the numbers must be on the inside tyre wall.

Jennifer

Hi Brightredrover,

I can confirm we have received your e-mail, and have passed your enquiry onto Tyreline, and will respond to you with their comments.

Thanks,

Ash

Ash

Have received a reply today from your department and have replied to them just now.

Feel let down that after what has been classed as an 'investigation' i have been told that i cannot be compensated for this and it was either a puncture or a blow out!!!!

a- I told you guys it was a blow out!

b- I have never asked for compensation! I only wanted some advice on what could have caused it.

I am still left concerned about towing the van with my 2 young kids in, the 3rd time I may not be so lucky.

Wayne

Edited by brightredrover

Hi Wayne,

I'm sorry the response did not cover your questions / concerns, but the first part of the investigation was to ensure that your tyres were not affected by the recall a few years ago. Tyreline confirmed that your tyres were not part of the recall.

The second question to them (hence the delay in responding to you) was to understand the possible causes of your blow-out, based on the photos you sent. Unfortunately, it could not be determined the exact cause of the blowout from the photos alone. As you have already mentioned the main causes of a blowout, and said that it could not be any of the "obvious" causes (i. e. tyre pressures, overloading and speed), we discounted these as possible causes.

We did consider that previous damage to the tyre could be a cause (i. e. potholes), but again, the photos showed the tyres with significant damage after the blow-out, and it is impossible to conclude this was the cause. Therefore, we could only conclude that a puncture was the cause.

Thanks,

Ash

When I had a tyre disintegrate, it was a puncture, the tyre disintegrated because I didn't notice it loosing pressure,

it was only when the tyre come off the rim that I became aware.

I appreciate it doesn't really help you, but it highlights what one member suggested, in that we should have sensors in our caravan tyres, to keep us informed of their pressures constantly, the same principal as some motor bikers use,

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

I would just like to add that the Army have a policy that if a tyre has been on a shelf for 4 years then they bin them this may or may not get people to check there tyres a bit more :)

towing with Mitsubishi delica and Elddis Avante Club 524 2008

I started out with nothing and Ive still got some of it left