On Board Water Tank

I looked at doing this on our van but realised it would add yoo much weight so gave up.

i thought the same but if you fill it on site and use it as a reserve it may stop thoses late night walks in the rain

Hi Volvo1,

I think caravanning differs from one country to another. Here caravans always have on board tanks and filled usually by the hose of the campground.

My caravan has a tank of 140 lt. If more of the showers taken on site facilities, it lasts 3-4 days. I also have 30 lt container to carry water and a 12 volt electric pump to transfer to the tank, just incase the hose is short or not available at all.

On board tank takes space under the bed but I think it worths.

Regards

Dogan Boncu

CAK Tanks near Warwick do a wide range of internal tanks.

CAK Tanks

I find ours is very useful especially in the winter as it won't freeze inside the heated van.

I never tow with the tank full as it would add approx 40Kg to the noseweight but sometimes have 5ltrs in the tank for making tea on route.

The van has a submersible pump for filling the tank but I always use a 10ltr bottle and a watering can to fill it.

If you want to see how it is fitted and filled, find a 2002 -2005 Bailey Senator in a used van dealers and have a look.

Bob R

BMW X3 X Drive and Swift Challenger 580SE

;) has anyone fitted an on board water tank into the system ive got a bailey pagent burgundy s6 and fancy one just for the extra water capacity i. c. e is there a kit any were on the net :huh:

I have not fitted one but my caravan came with it already fitted.

The tank holds about 50 ltrs and is filled from the filler cap on the outside of the van.

It can not be over filled as there is an overflow built in.

Next to the filler cap is a little round two pin 12 volt socket for which I have a pump to plug into this socket.

To fill the on board I bring my Aquaroll to the filler cap, put my pump into the Aquaroll with the filler pipe into the filler cap then plug the pump into the two pin socket.

Bingo, the on board tank is filling.

Once filled I remove the pump and Aquaroll pack the pump in locker then go to my control panel and throw a switch to "ON BOARD PUMP" and I am in business.

I then fill both Aquarolls and using my converted external pump I put the pump into one tank and the tube with the non return valve into the other tank.

When the on-board tank light starts flashing I just throw the switch to "EXTERNAL PUMP" and now have 80 ltrs of water to hand until I decide to fill the on board tank again.

Now I did not fit this it came with my van so I can only claim fame for the external pump conversion but one thing is for sure - it is a fantastic system.

I would never ever travel with the on-board tank with anything in it everything you read tells you not to do it.

I know this is not giving you any advice on how to fit the tank but I hope it helps you to decide how it should be done.

Last point. ...if you do get it done then please fit the 12 volt socket and pump you will never regret it.

Brian

Edited by Bwy

Tugging a Bailey Senator Vermont Millennium

With a 1999 Vauxhall Frontera Diesel 2. 2 Automatic

;) has anyone fitted an on board water tank into the system ive got a bailey pagent burgundy s6 and fancy one just for the extra water capacity i. c. e is there a kit any were on the net :huh:

I fitted an onboard 20 litre tank to our 2002 Eccles Onyx at the back of the table store. This is filled via the outside sub pump and pumped out via an inside sub pump connected to a Truma Compact fitting. A flick of a switch and the turn of an isolator valve switches between inboard and outboard tanks. This was fitted as a result of frozen pipes one winter in the Lake District and we can have 5 litres of water for use on long journeys (S of France).

I am now looking at fitting an inboard diaphragm pump. The outboard sub will feed the inboard tank and the inboard pump will draw water from this. I also intend to fit a float switch to prevent overfilling and an electric valve so the system can be used with a Whale Aquasource on serviced pitches.

Can anyone see any problems with this setup, apart from the fact that I cannot pump directly from the outboard tank?

Mike

I am now looking at fitting an inboard diaphragm pump. The outboard sub will feed the inboard tank and the inboard pump will draw water from this. I also intend to fit a float switch to prevent overfilling and an electric valve so the system can be used with a Whale Aquasource on serviced pitches.

Mike

Mike that is similar to what I have done. I have an onboard diaphragm pump from the onboard tank and a sub pump from the aquaroll.

Changing the switch changes pumps and water sources. This gives the backup of a second pump should one fail.

My onboard tank fills thro' the filler on the side of the van using either a watering can or a sub pump. I prefer the watering can method as it doesn't use the battery when on a rally with no EHU.

One thing I did do was run a heavy fused cable from the battery (Close too) to feed the pumps via relays rather than using the existing van wiring. Thereby getting max voltage to the pumps and max flow rate.

Bob R

Edited by bobren55