Satellite Reception

Now I know I have proclaimed that setting up a satellite dish and tuning in is akin to a black art but I have a problem. The picture on BBC channels and 4 and 5 are fine but ITV keep breaking up. When ever I try to make minor adjustments it gets worse rather than improves. There are some tall trees not so far away. Is it possible that this is my problem. In my innocence I would have thought that all programmes were transmitted at the same strength!

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

Now I know I have proclaimed that setting up a satellite dish and tuning in is akin to a black art but I have a problem. The picture on BBC channels and 4 and 5 are fine but ITV keep breaking up. When ever I try to make minor adjustments it gets worse rather than improves. There are some tall trees not so far away. Is it possible that this is my problem. In my innocence I would have thought that all programmes were transmitted at the same strength!

David

Hi, no great expert but you don't say what type of set up you have, I bought the cased outfit from maplins everything good but the satellite dish. I ended up buying the dish next size up from the standard sky dish from e. bay came complete with tripod and cost about £30. It is easier to capture the signal and the strength is no probs on all channels I also believe it means you can watch British satellite in southern Europe (Spain etc.) which again I believe is not possible on a standard dish.

Hope this helps.

In a recent survey it was found that 1 in 3 politicians are as bent as the other two. One Of Cols CT NinjasNinja.gif

The signals are transmitted from different transponders, different frequencies and their output and your reception of them can also vary. Tree branches or leaves in the direct line between you and the sat will not help. Having said that, I had a clear view of the sky at easter and my ITV always broke up first as heavy rain clouds passed over.

For getting the dish spot on, I use an inline meter, which connects close to the dish. It has an illuminated meter, generates a tone and has a compass on the side. I paid around £5 delivered for it via ebay.

Bailey Pageant Monarch Series 5 2004

Hi, no great expert but you don't say what type of set up you have, I bought the cased outfit from maplins everything good but the satellite dish. I ended up buying the dish next size up from the standard sky dish from e. bay came complete with tripod and cost about £30. It is easier to capture the signal and the strength is no probs on all channels I also believe it means you can watch British satellite in southern Europe (Spain etc.) which again I believe is not possible on a standard dish.

Hope this helps.

The larger the dish, the more accurately it needs to be aimed.

Thanks for the replies. I am using my new 80cm dish ( moved up from 64cm to 80cm for European use) I can only think that it is the trees. ITV is watchable, just. Only here for three nights.

Thanks

David (currently in York)

David - Milton Keynes

Caravan Travels

Thanks for the replies. I am using my new 80cm dish ( moved up from 64cm to 80cm for European use) I can only think that it is the trees. ITV is watchable, just. Only here for three nights.

Thanks

David (currently in York)

You might find that if you move the dish a matter of feet it will improve ITV or any other channel that is prone to breakup. This last weekend I was on a CL and chose the only flat piece of ground near the caravan to set up the dish. There were a few small branches (twigs) from the hedgerow in front of the dish but when I set up all appeared to be OK. The sky was clear on the Friday evening but I did notice occasional breakup of some channels ie Nat Geo, and a couple of others. I decided to move the dish on Saturday and that evening reception on all channels was excellent. I have experienced this before, incidentally I use a 60cm dish.

Gerry

2005 Kia Sorento 2. 5 Auto towing 2011 Conqueror 645

You've not said what % you've got for signal strength or quality but I'd bet on the trees in the first instance. You can guarantee they'll always be just were you need to point your dish. My rule of thumb is that if the tree was cut from the base in my direction would it fall on my dish. If it would, it is probably going to affect the signal.

Sorry if you're already familiar with this but signal quality is king, not signal strength. I would recommend at least 60% signal quality but it does depend on your system, the higher the better.

On occasion I've not realised I'm getting the signal through the top of some trees so when they start swaying in the breeze the quality drops enough and I lose the lock. I've also noticed that this phenomenon usually occurs in the middle of the missus's favourite prog.

Rich.

Rich

By your rule of thumb I reckon the tree would hit the dish! Fortunately it's leaves are not fully out so might be even worse it they were! Signal strength is usually at least 60% The real problem is that I should have gone to the alternative pitch suggested by Margaret!!!

David (currently at York)

David - Milton Keynes

Caravan Travels

Rich's Rule of Thumb is a good one and one I use myself. I always find that as long as I'm at least one and a half times the height of the tree away from the tree, I never have a problem. Even when the tree is in full bloom.

And yes, it's true that some channels are weaker signal-wise than others. Especially ITV2.

Carry On Camping!

Legsmaniac's World -my own personal web space with campsite reviews - http://www. legsmaniac. org. uk

David,

As Harry has previously mentioned, the larger the dish the more accurately it has to be aligned! paradoxical eh!!!!!!

GeorgeB Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

When I said I was normal. .....maybe I exaggerated somewhat!

Skoda Superb MK3 190ps DSG 4X4 estate closely followed by a Swift Challenger 580 Alde

I have a Maplin 34cm cheepy system. The Box comes with the most fantastic device ever, it has an audible signal strength tone, hight the tone the better the picture. Don't forget each type of dish has a different offset vertical, my little dish sits vertical in Yorkshire with an LNB offset of 10 - 15 deg, Astra 2D will be at 27 degrees in the sky thus the signal is not in a straight line from the LNB! I can set my dish up in the garden with the houses behind about 12 meters away and I get a good lock, so the tree falling message is a good rule of thumb. Rain will always be a killer for smaller dishes like mine. But after all, TV is only there to either keep the kids quiet, or avoid talking to the wife!

Have Caravan, will travel

Sterling Europa 565, Hyundai Tucson 2. 0 D

David

I have found that The ITV channels 1,2,3,4 are the most difficult to locate for some reason or other, both on the satellite and the freeview. If the dish or aerial is marginally out they tend to pixellate, wheras others are fine. I can't explain it and I thought that perhaps ITV was not transmitting quite as powerfully as others. If you are on York CC site there are quite a few trees. Try it again on a more open site!

DavidC
2011 Hyundai Santa Fe Premium pulling 2013 Coachman Pastiche
1996 Jaguar XJ6 Sovereign LWB (For Sale) 1970 Jaguar E Type Coupe 1967 Morris Oxford Farina & 1973 MGB roadster

David,

As Harry has previously mentioned, the larger the dish the more accurately it has to be aligned! paradoxical eh!!!!!!

Hi as I said in a previous post I'm no expert, but the Maplins dish supplied was hard to set up if it rained I lost the signal,if someone walked past I lost the signal, if the wind blew hard it shook and I lost the signal and I found it a beggar to align. Now I have none of the above problems with the big dish and using the compass widget supplied with the Maplins I can align the dish in a few minutes, is this a fluke :huh:

In a recent survey it was found that 1 in 3 politicians are as bent as the other two. One Of Cols CT NinjasNinja.gif

David,

I was in the South of France last year and some of the ITV and BBC were breaking up but only in the evenings.

I contacted David who runs this website http://www. satelliteforcaravans. co. uk/ and he told me why it happened but I can,t remember his reply !!

If you are already aware of the site please accept my apologies, but if you send in a question or query you will always get a prompt, helpful reply

Roger

Hi as I said in a previous post I'm no expert, but the Maplins dish supplied was hard to set up if it rained I lost the signal,if someone walked past I lost the signal, if the wind blew hard it shook and I lost the signal and I found it a beggar to align. Now I have none of the above problems with the big dish and using the compass widget supplied with the Maplins I can align the dish in a few minutes, is this a fluke :huh:

If you walk in front of any dish it will blank out the reception if you come between the dish and the sat. Obviously a smaller dish will be more susceptible to this.

I agree on the dish moving in the wind on the supplied stands and the difficulty in alignment due to the stands. I use an old length of awning pole, flattened at the end which I then hammer into the ground. The flat makes it easier to hammer in and helps prevent it turning in the wind. The top of the pole has its originanal awning pole clamp, which tightens onto the D pin of the dish's mounting. It forms a rigid base from which to align the dish and it never moves in the wind.

I can have the dish set up and working in a couple of minutes with the help of the 'sat finder' which was supplied with the dish. The only times I have struggled have been when I have started setting it up too close to hedges or trees etc. , plus once when spent ages due to my belt buckle affecting the compass of the 'sat finder'.

Are you saying you struggle with the 'sat finder' widget? That is the best part of the suitcase kit so far as I am concerned. It it a bit small and a bit flimsy, but it works fine to get you pointing at roughly the right direction and inclination.

I find it can loose the signal briefly in heavy weather, but normal rain is not a problem. I can put up with that for its convenience.

If you walk in front of any dish it will blank out the reception if you come between the dish and the sat. Obviously a smaller dish will be more susceptible to this.

I agree on the dish moving in the wind on the supplied stands and the difficulty in alignment due to the stands. I use an old length of awning pole, flattened at the end which I then hammer into the ground. The flat makes it easier to hammer in and helps prevent it turning in the wind. The top of the pole has its originanal awning pole clamp, which tightens onto the D pin of the dish's mounting. It forms a rigid base from which to align the dish and it never moves in the wind.

I can have the dish set up and working in a couple of minutes with the help of the 'sat finder' which was supplied with the dish. The only times I have struggled have been when I have started setting it up too close to hedges or trees etc. , plus once when spent ages due to my belt buckle affecting the compass of the 'sat finder'.

Are you saying you struggle with the 'sat finder' widget? That is the best part of the suitcase kit so far as I am concerned. It it a bit small and a bit flimsy, but it works fine to get you pointing at roughly the right direction and inclination.

I find it can loose the signal briefly in heavy weather, but normal rain is not a problem. I can put up with that for its convenience.

Hi Harry, No I don't have problems with the sat finder widget I use it to align the big dish I sometimes had problems finding the signal with the smaller dish as I said I don't have that with the big un, maybe just lucky. Also as I said I'm no expert but is there an optimum size for a dish? and the bit I don't get is why is there a need to be more accurate with bigger dishes I probably mistakenly imagined that they would capture it more easily.

Cheers for the input B)

I bought the Maplin "Sat in a pack" outfit (not its real name). The dish is not very good and I obtained a better one.

The decoder is the other element to consider. If you set the dish up as best you can and run the "scan for channels" option you will find that both BBC and ITV have several channels ostensibly to provide regional programming but also ITV 2,3 and 4 appear more than once. On my system I get the best ITV3 signal from a channel number somewhere up in the 1000's; I have subsequently relocated it to the beginning of the channel list. Ditto ITV4.

Volvo V70 D4 Estate automatic Swift Challenger SE 580

Hi Harry, No I don't have problems with the sat finder widget I use it to align the big dish I sometimes had problems finding the signal with the smaller dish as I said I don't have that with the big un, maybe just lucky. Also as I said I'm no expert but is there an optimum size for a dish? and the bit I don't get is why is there a need to be more accurate with bigger dishes I probably mistakenly imagined that they would capture it more easily.

Cheers for the input B)

The idea of a bigger dish is to focus more signal onto the LNB, but in the process it tightens up the beam width somewhat. So far as dish size goes, really the bigger the better to overcome losses in bad weather, but the aiming accuracy has to be improved too as the dish size increases. Think in terms of a small torch with a small reflector and a much bigger one - the bigger one will have much better distance, but a smaller spread of beam.

• 1 month later...

I have just bought the basic Lidl caravan satellite system.

Setting it up was easy and finding a satellite, with a cheap satellite finder, even easier.

I had good signal Strength and Quality and was 'locked on' to Astra 28. 2E but could only get 8 English speaking channels.

Absolutely perfect picture but am I on the wrong satellite ?

Bill

I had good signal Strength and Quality and was 'locked on' to Astra 28. 2E but could only get 8 English speaking channels.

Absolutely perfect picture but am I on the wrong satellite ?

Bill

No you are not, that is the correct satellite, now you will have to go into the setup menu and do an update scan, which will put loads of Tv and Radio channels on there. ;)

Ace Firestar hiding behind Jeep Cherokee Sport

I'm not depressed,the world is just happier than me.

No you are not, that is the correct satellite, now you will have to go into the setup menu and do an update scan, which will put loads of Tv and Radio channels on there. ;)

Many thanks.

The second time I set the dish up did take longer than the first but I did get there eventually. I think that it might be a tree and wind problem in the garden !!

I hadn't done the autoscan !!!!! When I did I got about 480 channels !! Mind you there are several repeated for instance there are several batches of the ITV regional channels but I can only get good sound on one of the batches.

Using the 'favourites' is simple and obviously is an easy why to manage the channels. Not sure if the favourites will stay after the receiver is switched off.

Bill

Bill,

Favourites will stay in the system, so you won't have to worry about that.

Yes there are some channels repeated and you will find some of the quality might be better on a channel that doesn't have a name but a number, but you can rename that.

On the autoscan you can tell it to scan only the free as opposed the encrypted channels and you will still come across the "Sky" channels <_<

I have found that if i stand 9 feet in front of my dish i doesn't block the signal, so you might have a wind problem :lol::lol:

Ace Firestar hiding behind Jeep Cherokee Sport

I'm not depressed,the world is just happier than me.