Alko Grub Screw Removal

Dermot H

Hi Folks,

Purchased a full stop excalibur lock recently, but seem to have fallen foul of the ALKO-Bulldog court case grub screw issue. Our 2008 Bailey van has the grub screw fitted, so the excalibur lock will not work without having to purchase the receiver separately. Any ideas where I can get a removal tool? I have tried contacting ALKO with no reply yet, but from reading the various forums I get the impression they will not be entertaining me as it is not an ALKO lock that I am fitting. Particularly annoying is the fact that the more recent ALKO chassis do not have the grub screw fitted, apparently since the successful outcome, as far as ALKO are concerned, of the courtcase.

Dermot

• 2 weeks later...

There are several different "tools" to choose from to remove the plug as there were several different ones made

Bulldog supplied a universal tool that was soft metal and was hammered on the fit the plug and remove it as I understood it

If you could grind down the centre point on the plug it could be possible to drill it and use a LH thread stud extractor or perhaps drill 2 holes at opposite edges and use a peg spanner

http://www. theoldbicycleshowroom. co. uk/gri. ..panner-82-p. asp

http://cgi. ebay. co. uk/5pc-stud-screw-extra. ..bayphotohosting

Edited by Watson(JohnG)

BMW X3 X Drive and Swift Challenger 580SE

• 2 weeks later...
Just buy the proper alko lock!!!

Alas Neil maybe I would have if I had known about the grub screw issue in advance. ....also, the cost of the proper AL-KO lock is rediculously high, twice the price of compeditors products. Anyways I got sorted in the end.

Dermot

Alas Neil maybe I would have if I had known about the grub screw issue in advance. ....also, the cost of the proper AL-KO lock is rediculously high, twice the price of compeditors products. Anyways I got sorted in the end.

Dermot

Yep - Al-Ko have to recoup the development costs whilst the competitors can cash in on someone else's efforts! B)

Discovery 4 XS SDV6 and Airstream 532 plus 1996 MGF owned since new.

• 2 weeks later...

Dermot

Hi Dermot,

Could be cheeky :blush: and ask how you removed the grub screw in the end as my brother in law has one fitted to his Lunar Freelander and i happen to have an Alko wheel lock he wants but we cannot trial fit to see if it fits his van becuase of g. screw :rolleyes: thanks in advance ;)

• 4 years later...

Can I just say. ... I have just got myself a second hand (ebay) bulldog wheel lock for my 2008 Bailey. only to find I had a silver bit of foil with a number on and this was hiding a grub screw. All I did was email Alko with the number and told them I needed to remove it. They Sent me an email back saying that one will be sent in the post. which came in 5 day and was FOC. Thanks Mr Alko!! Mayb its how you ask?