Blinds Up Or Down When Travelling?

stuart m

Just travelled 260 miles today (without caravan!) but couldn't quite work out why some folk travel with all their caravan blinds drawn/down and others with them up? They seem to be about 50/50. Whats the theory - I'm puzzled :rolleyes:

Sorry but I personally don't see any puzzle - some like them open some like them closed!

Discovery 4 XS SDV6 and Airstream 532 plus 1996 MGF owned since new.

When I could see through the vehicle rear view mirror/Caravan front window/Caravan rear window to the road behind it was blinds up. Now I have a caravan without a rear window. So . . If we are going to arrive at a caravan site in the daylight we may open the blinds.

In the winter ours may be up or down while travelling depends how we leave them in the summer especially in France they will be down as it keeps it cooler in the van.

Steve

2017 Dethleffs Globus I1 Motorhome.

We always travel with them open. Unless it’s going to be very dark when you arrive, you’ll have to open them anyway, to see what you’re doing.

I can’t really see the point of having then closed.

Swift Challenger 490

Sorento + Fabia to help the Sorento up hills!

Always travel with the blinds open making sure the blinds on the skylights are also open as they get distorted if closed during travelling due to the air circulation. Also means the two bears in the bed can see the scenery !!!!!! Sad, isn't it !!!!!!!!!!! lol

Gerry

2005 Kia Sorento 2. 5 Auto towing 2011 Conqueror 645

Guest John KS

We always open ours. The main reason is safety. If it is a sunny day it is possible to dazzle other road users when the sun shines on the silver reflective side and it also enables others to see through the van.

I also agree with thelonegroover, why waste time closing them and opening them again??????

We always travel with our blinds open on the recommendation of our dealer who says that the plastic lugs that hold the blinds down can be broken by the movement of the caravan.

Yossa

2007 Mondeo 2. 2 TDCi & 2003 Bailey Pageant Bordeaux

We always travel with our blinds open on the recommendation of our dealer who says that the plastic lugs that hold the blinds down can be broken by the movement of the caravan.

Yossa

Agree with this comment, also if closed they have a tendancy to "fly up" and cause damage when driving over bumps/potholes.

Bailey Ranger 510/4

& Skoda Octavia Elegance Estate 1. 9TDI

Various010-1.jpgmedia3_cropped-4.jpg

. ...... our dealer . . says that the plastic lugs that hold the blinds down can be broken by the movement of the caravan.

Yossa

says a lot about quality, doesn't it.

I travel with mine up (closed as they are the reverse type) as I have seen people having a look in vans stopped at service stations and even supermarket car parks.

Now they could just have been curious or looking for easy pickings.

Travel with thenm closed - as i can see the Mirror in the caravan, in my rear-view mirror in the car, and it bugs the living day lights out of me!

Al.

Travel with them open. Justs further lessens the time the springs are under tension.

Roy & Rita

Bailey Unicorn Barcelona 1 with Power Touch 4 wheel mover (February 2012) - Mercedes E320 CDI Avantgarde Auto V6 Estate

Travel with blinds up to save the springs, and curtains closed to keep the nosey nebbers out! Never leave the van unattended at service areas or anywhere else where people might get too interested in what's inside, but still like to keep their eyes out of my van!

2003 Autotrail 635SE Mercedes Sprinter, 2011 Hyundai i10

'Life is too short to stuff a mushroom.'

Maybe they were hiding some illegal immigrants.

The opinions posted in this forum are not necessarily those of the author, they may have been influenced by the voices in my head.

When I could see through the vehicle rear view mirror/Caravan front window/Caravan rear window to the road behind it was blinds up.

Snap. Without the blinds there is too much glare to see through the caravan.

Travel with thenm closed - as i can see the Mirror in the caravan, in my rear-view mirror in the car, and it bugs the living day lights out of me!

Hi,

Surely you'd only have to close one for this reason.

Swift Challenger 490

Sorento + Fabia to help the Sorento up hills!

We have a large rear window, so with the blinds open my wife can turn round and glare at the lorry drivers who try to drive up my ****

I think I gave her a wave yesterday :D:lol:

We always travel with the flyscreens down to stop nosy people looking in but I can see in via the mirror.

Jeff

Just travelled 260 miles today (without caravan!) but couldn't quite work out why some folk travel with all their caravan blinds drawn/down and others with them up? They seem to be about 50/50. Whats the theory - I'm puzzled :rolleyes:

i try to keep them open as much as i can as not to weaken the springs when at home in the drive i put card in the window so the sun doesn't bleach inside

AUDI A5 SPORTBACK COACHMAN AMARA + NISSAN 350 Z

Hi,

Surely you'd only have to close one for this reason.

Yeah probs, but think it would look a bit weird - I'm a tart at heart!

Al.

Always travel with my blinds open - I find it comforting that I can see in the 'van whilst driving, via the rear view mirror. If i spot a door has come open in the Kitchen area, or the bathroom door is flapping, I can pull over and close it, rather than finding it has been swinging around when I get home, some 300 miles later!

M

2011 S Max Titanium Powershift

2011 Citroen C3 Picasso Exclusive

2011 Swift Conqueror 570 Special Equipment

'If I'd Been Born Thirty Years Later They Would Call It ADHD'