Private Or Dealer

Rizo

Evening,

Looking to buy my first van around the end of june so was just wondering where i should really buy one from.

We have approx 2k to spend.

Now 2k at a dealer will get me a van that this fully saefty checked etc, all things 100% working yet privatley for less than a grand i can get the same sorta van but often with an awning, aquarolls, waste etc but no safety checks.

Im a very competent car mechanic who is defo not shy of getting his hands dirty/greasy.

is there a basic rule of thumb when buying privatley?

Is a small ammount of damp a major problem?

TIA Guys and Girls :)

Jon

2001 Lunar Ariva GTS, Propane, 180amp Marine Battery and a 20w Solar Panel with Charge Controller. 1000W mains invertor

Towed by 1. 8 VVT Vectra Hatch

If it is your FIRST caravan -- go to a Dealer --- you at least have to have some sort of warranty

If you buy private -- tha van could fall apart and you would have NO redress. . and as an inexperienced 'vanner -- tough!!

go to a dealer. .

Maurice

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold 😥) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club

Guest iancjc

Buy the van in the best condition that you can afford.

At £2k you're only likely to get a 3 month warrenty from a dealer anyway - I reckon you'd do as well to look at the person selling the van as the van itself - a genuine sale of a well loved van is likely to be a better deal than buying from a dealer.

either way do a damp test (private or dealer sale) and a HPI check (private sale).

Thanks you two.

VFM private is the way forward i think but then a dealer near me has loads in stock like a lunar hurricane for £2195 1995 iirc. Very good nick comes with an awning too/

2001 Lunar Ariva GTS, Propane, 180amp Marine Battery and a 20w Solar Panel with Charge Controller. 1000W mains invertor

No brainer to me - buy from a dealer as Muarice says you get some warranty - even if it is only 3 months.

Once you are experienced and know what to look for then I am sure that private deals offer some good buys.

Discovery 4 XS SDV6 and Airstream 532 plus 1996 MGF owned since new.

I would go with private, but do take someone along with you who >really knows< what to look out for.

Yes you can get some sort of warranty buying from a dealer, however my experience is that their warranties are worthless withhout a lot of stress and a fight.

I bought my latest one from a dealer (a large one) for the first time and it really wasn't a pleasant experience. Basically it had several serious faults, some were downright dangerous, this after I had been assured everything would be checked out and had been certified damp free. I got the run around trying to get them to honour their warranty - TS were no help at all. With the assurances, I had not taken my usual care in inspecting carefully. All of my previous ones had been bought privately and I had taken the time to check for problems before parting with money.

Bailey Pageant Monarch Series 5 2004

we as a family had one approx 10 years ago so will bring the old man to look at some private ones with me i think.

he is a seasoned 'vanner

4 berth over a 2 berth for just the two of us?

would like the extra room.

4 berth over a 2 berth for just the two of us?

would like the extra room.

Hi If you are confident enough to buy a car privately then use the same inspection techniques on a caravan,check the bodywork outside for any panel replacement or damage repairs,look inside for any stains due to leaks all along the inner wall panels fom front to rear including inside front and rear corner lockers both sides. Remove seating and inspect front corners under seating area,if there is any sign of damp walk away and be choosy. Look for different matches in the wallboarding inside,I have seen slightly different shades and patterns in vans I have viewed due to replacement due to damp. Ok the damp ingress may have been succesfully repaired but you dont know this so again I would reject the van. The more vans you view the better the feel you will get for a genuine straight dry van. Oh and one last trick I have seen used is to cover damage to the van outside with a reflector or sticker etc. so match one side to the other for oddly placed items like these.

For a 2k van I'd go private! I don't trust dealers, not in the slightest, even if I bought a van that had been 'checked' I'd take it elsewhere to be checked again! It's like buying cars from a garage which has had the MOT/service done there, I just don't trust them! No I am not picking on all mechanics, my partner is an ex mechanic and I know there are honest ones.

Buy it private with someone with a bit of experience and a damp meter if possible or even ask for it to be serviced, I'd gladly pay for a service (mine was £90) for a caravan I was looking at buying before handing the money over for it then the service centre can give you an honest opinion on it.

Experiences based on (mainly mine)

Brakes failing on a car which had just had a 100 point safety check

Brakes failing on a car which had just been MOT'd

Damp being found in a caravan

Brakes not right on a caravan

Lights out on a car before and after it's supposed MOT (they checked those well didn't they!)

Just a few :rolleyes:

Edited by lil_me

Our first van was from a dealer, which was a good move as we were complete novices, and we got a full year's warranty and 'starter pack' to get us going. When we changed the van two years later we bought and sold privately - but by then we knew what we were doing.

2004 Swift Challenger 550 SLE