Caravan Alarm

BertieBassett

I've recently bought an older caravan after problems with a brand new one. It has the usual built in alarm system which is over five years old now (still working fine I might add) but I read in the manual that it is recommended that the battery be changed every three years. Has anyone done this?

Jeff

I have an autowatch 650 caravan alarm. It has a backup 20AH sealed battery, which is already dud. Replacing the battery is easy, just unscrew the housing then disconnect the old battery and connect the new one.

Regards

Lee

Please note that my opinions stated are those of an enthusiast not an expert and humble at that

2006 Hyundai Sante Fe towing a Coachman Vision 580/5

I have an autowatch 650 caravan alarm. It has a backup 20AH sealed battery, which is already dud. Replacing the battery is easy, just unscrew the housing then disconnect the old battery and connect the new one.

Regards

Lee

thanks for that.

jeff

I've recently bought an older caravan after problems with a brand new one. It has the usual built in alarm system which is over five years old now (still working fine I might add) but I read in the manual that it is recommended that the battery be changed every three years. Has anyone done this?

Jeff

never had a van over three years old -- so cant help. .

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold 😥) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club

I got a new battery from Screwfix 12v 7ah £15. 99 For my alarm it is a auto watch 650 caravan alarm

In the book it says 12V 7. 2 ah

Your alarm runs of the caravan main battery, the one in the alarm box is purely standby kept topped up from the van's electric system, and as such has not had much use, the Sealed Lead Acid battery fitted likes not being used but also being kept fully charged as is the life of these standby ones.

Should easily last 5 years probably more

Andy G

2008 Audi A6 Avant TDI Multitronic - 2009 Coastline 530 SE

Your alarm runs of the caravan main battery, the one in the alarm box is purely standby kept topped up from the van's electric system, and as such has not had much use, the Sealed Lead Acid battery fitted likes not being used but also being kept fully charged as is the life of these standby ones.

Should easily last 5 years probably more

Andy G

There was something either in the manual or instruction sheet stating that the battery had to be changed every few years. A sticker on top of the unit is dated at the same date of the caravan build. I know that the standby battery is supposed to last up to 6 months when charged, I just wondered if anyone changed theirs. Mine is working fine at the moment.

Jeff

Bertie

You are quite right it does say something to that effect, I think the page and the stickers are probably sponsored by the Battery Manufacturers, it gets charged from the caravan electric system, therefore doesnt have to rely on its own initial charge. The battery concerened is the same type different size to the one in your house alarm constantly kept charged by the system usually never called on to operate.

When did you last change that and does it all still work, if the standby battery is duff the alarm system will tell you with error message, cant stop it going off, or wont even set.

The only time the standby battery in the caravan does anything is if you have no hook up and you remove the leisure battery.

Depends on your desire for peace of mind or trusting the system, if you do change it, get a Yuasa " Y " Cell not " NP " NP type will work but it is designed for constant charge and discharge and therefore costs more " Y " Cell is designed for alarms and standby system, ie just sits there, not subject to constant discharge and charge therefore cheaper to make and for us to buy. Y Cell can be harder to find on line though.

Andy G

Edited by andyg

2008 Audi A6 Avant TDI Multitronic - 2009 Coastline 530 SE