Alko Atc Problem - Caused My Caravan Brakes To Seize On

Big Tim

Hi

I had ATC retro-fitted to my Bailey Senator Arizona (2006) last summer by CMI Alko's appointed agent. I have had no problems with the system until a couple of weeks ago. I have recently repaved the drive at our home and put the caravan on the drive about a month ago. On 4 April I hooked up the 'van to our Kia Sorento with a view to setting off on our Easter Break to Anglesey. I was very surprised to find the 'van's brakes seized on. Despite rolling 'van back and tapping drum with a hammer wheels remained firmly locked - skid marks on new drive. I was particularly surprised as I had had new drums, shoes, etc, fitted last August after an incident when the handbrake came on mysteriously whilst towing burning out aforesaid brakes.

After seeking advice on Caravan Talk I was put in touch with "Tradetech", a subscriber to this forum who does servicing work on 'vans. Tradetech was able to come out on Monday evening for a look. On jacking up the 'van he found that the problem was that the "push rod" on the ATC system had "pulled out" locking the brakes on solid. I was surprised to hear this as the ATC warning light was showing "green", ie, no fault. TT felt that the ATC had been connected in such a way that when the were fully applied in reverse the ATC rod was too short. He adjusted the rod and the brakes were then fine.

Rather concerned that this problem might recur I phoned Alko the next day before setting off on our delayed holidays. The man I spoke to was very helpful and even phoned Tradetech to discuss the problem and his adjustments. The Alko man then phoned me back to reassure me that he was satisfied that TT had dealt with the problem. He, also, assured me that a problem with the ATC could not have caused my handbrake to come on whilst driving last August.

The 'van and ATC have, as far as I can tell, been fine for our return trip to Anglesey, 220 miles, but I am still not over happy. I paid approximately £500 for the ATC to be fitted but have now had my holidays delayed by 3 days and had to pay TT to rectify the fault. I am, also, concerned that the ATC unit was signaling that it was okay, green light, when it was obviously not. In addition ATC is supposedly maintenance free. The Alko man did say that if I did ever have a problem it is possible to disconnect the ATC as per the handbook so that the 'van could still be driven. However I am a big bloke and I know that I would not find it easy to get under the 'van to do this.

Tim

Kia Sorento Titan TDI (07) & Bailey Senator Arizona (06-5 Series)with Alko ATC, Powrtouch HD motor mover and Alko shocks

Hi

I had ATC retro-fitted to my Bailey Senator Arizona (2006) last summer by CMI Alko's appointed agent. I have had no problems with the system until a couple of weeks ago. I have recently repaved the drive at our home and put the caravan on the drive about a month ago. On 4 April I hooked up the 'van to our Kia Sorento with a view to setting off on our Easter Break to Anglesey. I was very surprised to find the 'van's brakes seized on. Despite rolling 'van back and tapping drum with a hammer wheels remained firmly locked - skid marks on new drive. I was particularly surprised as I had had new drums, shoes, etc, fitted last August after an incident when the handbrake came on mysteriously whilst towing burning out aforesaid brakes.

After seeking advice on Caravan Talk I was put in touch with "Tradetech", a subscriber to this forum who does servicing work on 'vans. Tradetech was able to come out on Monday evening for a look. On jacking up the 'van he found that the problem was that the "push rod" on the ATC system had "pulled out" locking the brakes on solid. I was surprised to hear this as the ATC warning light was showing "green", ie, no fault. TT felt that the ATC had been connected in such a way that when the were fully applied in reverse the ATC rod was too short. He adjusted the rod and the brakes were then fine.

Rather concerned that this problem might recur I phoned Alko the next day before setting off on our delayed holidays. The man I spoke to was very helpful and even phoned Tradetech to discuss the problem and his adjustments. The Alko man then phoned me back to reassure me that he was satisfied that TT had dealt with the problem. He, also, assured me that a problem with the ATC could not have caused my handbrake to come on whilst driving last August.

The 'van and ATC have, as far as I can tell, been fine for our return trip to Anglesey, 220 miles, but I am still not over happy. I paid approximately £500 for the ATC to be fitted but have now had my holidays delayed by 3 days and had to pay TT to rectify the fault. I am, also, concerned that the ATC unit was signaling that it was okay, green light, when it was obviously not. In addition ATC is supposedly maintenance free. The Alko man did say that if I did ever have a problem it is possible to disconnect the ATC as per the handbook so that the 'van could still be driven. However I am a big bloke and I know that I would not find it easy to get under the 'van to do this.

Tim

Hi Tim

Sorry to hear about the problems, I don't want to get into the reasons why etc, but did Alko not offer to pay Tradetec's call out at least ? if they have not offered

I would be sending a letter asking for compensation, as if TT had not sorted it they would have had to do it them selves.

Radiotwo

Steve - Land Cruiser Amazon Auto + Pageant Series 5 Champagne

The match between car and caravan is perfect in accordance with a mix of European standards. However, according to the British Towing Code the percentage (loaded caravan / kerbweight tow car) is 49%.

Hi

Tim

Hi Tim

Do you know if it was necessary to disturb the ATC setup to fit the drum and pads when renewed,

or had the fitters 'played' with it out of curiosity perhaps? Any thoughts TT?

Any chance the paving contractors have disturbed the set-up whilst working around the van being

there? (If it was).

(Sure it wasn't a 'tarmac gang' who wanted the ATC (or whole van ;) )).

neil

Bailey S5 Pageant Auvergne & Vauxhall Signum CDTI

To me its sounds more like it was not adjusted correctly at the original installation. So more CMI's fault, and not Al-Ko.

Also on the `green light` I am not surprised that you were still getting a green light, the system may be able to check its own electrical circuits, and even actuator position. But I would not expect it to be able to detect a mechanical fault in the linkages to the brakes.

When i first saw the Prob on Tims van i was aware that some one had replaced the shoes, When the brakes locked on there was a skid mark on ONLY one side of the drive, when i investigated further the bowden cables didnt pull out evenly and one side was under adjusted(hence only one skid mark) , The guy at alko spoke to me and said i had done the right thing in adjusting the rod, i must say that it did look to me that the atctuation rod on the atc had been cut too short, otherwise it wouldnt have popped out .

Im just glad that i managed to get Tim & family on there way to there well deserved break

Hi Folks

Just to comment further on problems with my ATC.

No the ATC had not been "upset" by the paving of the drive. The paving was done by my son and the 'van was only moved there, for the first time, after paving had been finished. The drive does have quite a slope, down from the road, which I have to reverse down. As it was the first time that I had done this tricky maneouvre a lot of pulling and pushing and use of the van's handbrake was involved.

Who or what caused the problem and who is responsible for the costs of Tradetech is debatable. I phoned Alko as I wanted to discuss the problem and the likelihood of it recurring. The Alko man did hint that ATC might have been disturbed by the work on renewing the brakes but I thought that such work should not effect the ATC's operation.

Obviously CMI installed the ATC so my contract is with them and I will be contacting them next week. I cannot see anyone accepting responsibility for the cost of using Tradetech but rather expect the parties concerned to blame each other. I am rather more concerned that the ATC IS PROPERLY set up and the fault can NEVER occur again. I am obviously far from pleased that this £500 purchase caused me delay and expense. If it had not been for Tradetech's timely response we would have probably missed our holiday.

I would be interested to hear if anyone else has experienced similar problems with ATC.

Regards

Tim

Kia Sorento Titan TDI (07) & Bailey Senator Arizona (06-5 Series)with Alko ATC, Powrtouch HD motor mover and Alko shocks

Well I was thinking of having it fitted to my Bailey Senator, but after hearing this I don't think I will.

I would have thought by now that with quite a few Vans being fitted with it as standard the 'Trade' would have been up to speed with this and we would have been able to use our normal Dealer to fit it.

I think Al-ko need to respond to this and pay for the problem, and let us know when this will be a Dealer standard fit.

Sorry to hear about your problem.

Regards

Dave

Discovery 4 HSE 2015, Bailey Unicorn S4 Barcelona 2018.
http://www. mycaravan. org. uk/

Hi Folks

Here is what I hope will be the final comment I have to make on my problems with ATC.

I spoke with an engineer at CMI, fitters of my ATC, today. After I explained the situation he said that it sounded as though the guy who fitted my the new brake shoes and drums to the 'van last August did not adjust the brakes correctly afterwards. He assured me that if, as I am sure he has, Tradetech has tightened up the locking nut on the brakes sufficiently there is no way that the the ATC rod can "jump out" again. Sorry I don't fully understand all the technicalities here. He pointed out the fact that the ATC system had operated without problem on our 5 week/2K Miles trips around the Continent last summer indicated that the ATC and brakes were correctly set up at that time. He further pointed out that the problem only happened after the brakes had been repaired.

In mitigation of the guy who worked on the brakes I wonder how much Alko has made clear the brake adjustment necessary with regard to ATC being fitted as the guy who worked on the brakes was very experienced and highly recommended.

Anyway the good news seems to be that the ATC is now working correctly and is not likely to cause further problems. The bad news is, surprise, surprise no one is accepting responsibility for the problem and that of course includes the cost of Tradetech rectifying the problem.

I would, however, say that, all in all, I am still glad that I had ATC fitted as I think it provides a very useful operation which increases towing safety considerably.

Best wishes again to all of you who offered advice and sympathy and, again, particular thanks to Tradetech who promptly and efficiently solved the problem and got us away on much needed holiday.

Regards

Tim

One would have thought that as it is an Alko chassis and an Alko ATC system

-- they might have brought out service sheets for the fitters when servicing the two [combined] systems. ?

As it would seem from the comments of CMI -- that they, when together, work to different tolerances to when stand alone. .

I wonder what Alko might say when reading this?

Maurice

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold 😥) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club

Hi Maurice

I'm not sure about the tolerances being different when ATC is fitted - I'm afraid I'm afraid my technical understanding is a little limited. I think that they were more saying that the ATC would be okay if the brakes were correctly adjusted. However, the mobile engineer who repaired my brakes last August was an Alko/Bailey accredited and on first name terms with people in the Alko technical department. I, like many others, am in the hands of, and have to trust, the expertise of these experts. Unfortunately, in my experience, when problems occur there is a lot of "book passing".

Alko are, of course, very welcome to contribute to this post.

Regards

Tim

Hi Maurice

I'm not sure about the tolerances being different when ATC is fitted - I'm afraid I'm afraid my technical understanding is a little limited. I think that they were more saying that the ATC would be okay if the brakes were correctly adjusted. However, the mobile engineer who repaired my brakes last August was an Alko/Bailey accredited and on first name terms with people in the Alko technical department. I, like many others, am in the hands of, and have to trust, the expertise of these experts. Unfortunately, in my experience, when problems occur there is a lot of "book passing".

Alko are, of course, very welcome to contribute to this post.

Regards

Tim

Hi Tim

I remember ALKO on here saying that ATC would never be available for DIY, as a competant person has to do it,

seems to me this incident has proved the fallacy of that arguement as either CMI or the competent fitter made

a right mess of it :o .

Also it probably means it is very poorly designed as it shouldn't be possible to get it wrong, it may well work very

very well if fitted correctly and adjusted properly but otherwise it's just extra weight - bit like the wheel lock ;) .

neil

Bailey S5 Pageant Auvergne & Vauxhall Signum CDTI

ALKO - THE SILENCE HAS BEEN DEAFENING!!

I'm very disappointed that no one from Alko has seen fit to comment on this topic as over a week has now elapsed.

I trust my problems with my ATC are now over but I will certainly post again if further problems occur.

Tim

Tim,

As per my private message, I have been out of the office until earlier this week and in my absence the forum hasnt been monitored, so I can only apologise for that.

As for the problem you experienced, I have discussed this internally with our Service Department and we would like to get an Engineer to come out and check over your brake system and at the same time we can connect ATC to the diagnostics to rule out any problems there. We can also confirm whether the Push Rod is actually the correct length or if it has been shortened for some reason. The push rod is a standard length for all variants of ATC and if it is shorter than normal then this will be investigated fully.

From the information provided here it and what you have posted on the Practical Caravan forum it would seem that when the brakes were repaired, this wasnt carried out correctly given that Tradetech picked up the problem of poor adjustment almost immediately. I would be grateful if you would let us have the details of the AL-KO/Bailey Accredited Engineer that did the work for you, so that we can confirm how he carried out the repair to your brakes, as this will help us understand what might have caused the problem and why the push rod on ATC had come beyond the end of the guide tube.

We have been very explicit in our training provision regarding ATC and I personally held weekly training sessions over the past two winters, with our Service Centres and Bailey Service providers and made it clear that ATC does not need adjusting during brake servicing and repairs, unless there was a need to remove the brake rod to carry out repairs. When the brake rod is replaced for example, we provide the relevant adjustment information to ensure that everything is set correctly after this work is carried.

I think it is reasonable to say that ATC is not the cause of the problem, as you have done significant amounts of towing with ATC connected with no problem prior to this issue developing, and since then you have completed another 220 mile trip without the problem re-occuring.

Once again I apologise for not responding sooner, but if you can let me have a reply to my private message I will get our Service Manager, Angie Mears to give you a call and arrange a suitable time to visit you.

Thanks and best regards,

Paul Jones

Marketing Manager

AL-KO Kober Limited

It is great to see the Alko service person sitting on your drive with a computer conected to the caravan -- I didnt realise that it had a "memory" that could be read onto the computer ---

They soon fixed my problems. .

Maurice

Volvo S60 D5 (now sold 😥) new Vauxall soon
Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again
48 Year Member of The Caravan Club

This interesting, Ive had a similar problem. Two weekends ago after travelling approximately 20 miles I realised that my jeep was changing down a gear on hills that would not normally challenge it. On checking, we noticed the caravan handbrake was on. Although it would be usual not to be certain that the handbrake had been left on, for some reason myself and my partner had stood over the A frame and had done the final check. The torque of the jeep is such that it was impossible to feel the caravan brake coming on. The brake drums on the caravan were glowing red. I obviously required new drums, shoes and bearings cost £600.

When getting them replaced we noticed the that the rod had dropped out of the ATC.

Still not sure what the cause of the braking coming on is. We had ATC retrofitted in January.

Kevin

Kevin,

Thanks for your post, I have sent you a PM as I would like to get some additional details from you about your 'van and contact details etc.

With regards to the handbrake coming on during travel this could be due to a couple of reasons. They are:

1) The breakaway cable is too tight or not straight and as a result when going round tight corners the breakaway cable pulls the handbrake on. Our recommendation for attaching the breakaway cable is to loop the cable over the towball and clip back over the cable to produce a noose type effect. The cable should hang straight and not be wrapped around the stabiliser.

2) More uncommon is the handbrake getting caught on anything attached to the back of the tow vehicle for example a fully loaded bike rack.

Having ATC to fitted to a caravan, would in no way cause the handbrake to operate during travel. I would suggest that the push rod may have dropped out of the guide tube during the repair process and not in general use as even with the handbrake fully on the push rod length would leave around 40-50mm of push rod still inside the guide tube.

If you can let me have more details, I will come back to you with some information.

Kind regards,

Paul Jones

Marketing Manager

AL-KO Kober

At least Al-Ko are trying! And they reply to forum questions - I wish I could say the same about BPW/Winterhoff - they don't even reply to e-mails!

Discovery 4 XS SDV6 and Airstream 532 plus 1996 MGF owned since new.

Hi All

I've arranged with Alko for their service engineer to visit next Monday (18 May) so I await that visit with interest, particularly the result of the diagnostics on the ATC. It will be reassuring to get the ATC and brakes checked over by someone with the Alko expertise before our 5 week Summer hols on the Continent - we are looking at the possibility of the Alps this year

I do appreciate the support received from Paul Jones of Alko as it is a long journey for their engineer to our home in St Helens, Merseyside.

I'll post the results after the visit.

Regards

Tim

Hi All

I've arranged with Alko for their service engineer to visit next Monday (18 May) so I await that visit with interest, particularly the result of the diagnostics on the ATC. It will be reassuring to get the ATC and brakes checked over by someone with the Alko expertise before our 5 week Summer hols on the Continent - we are looking at the possibility of the Alps this year

I do appreciate the support received from Paul Jones of Alko as it is a long journey for their engineer to our home in St Helens, Merseyside.

I'll post the results after the visit.

Regards

Tim

I have booked my van in to have this system retro-fitted but have since heard of people reporting braking problems. I emailed Al-Ko and got this by return. Still not sure whether to go ahead with the fitting though.

"Thank you for your email via Kellysearch and thank you for your interest in ATC.

There are a number of reports that are appearing at the moment on this particular subject, all seemingly suggesting that ATC is the problem. We have and are investigating each of these reports and so far have found no evidence to suggest that ATC is the problem and in all honesty the problem lies somewhere else.

In fact, I attended one of these callouts myself on Monday to find that ATC was not at fault and that more likely the problem originated from a problem with the vehicle towbar. What was discovered when examining both the caravan and car, was a melted middle pin on the 12S socket on the towing vehicle. In this situation, faulty electrics are likely to have caused the problem, as when we connected the ATC unit to a diagnostic laptop, it listed no other errors than a frequent voltage problem.

My recommendation would be that prior to having ATC fitted, have your towbar electrics tested to ensure there are no loose connections. If you have twin 7 pin electrics, ensure that Pin 4 on the 12S plug is providing constant live power and the fuse rating for this particular circuit is rated to 20amps. If it is 13 pin electrics on the towing vehicle, then ensure pin 9 in constant live power.

I am confident that ATC will be operate correctly for you. To date we have fitted somewhere close to 20,000 ATC units to caravans in the UK and have had very few problems. The majority of the problems have been proven to be down to towbar electrical faults.

I have attached a copy of the instruction handbook for ATC that details the system requirements. If you have the towbar checked, show them the information contained inside to confirm that they ensure your towbar is to the required standard.

I trust this answers you questions and puts your mind at rest. If you need any further information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards,

Paul Jones

Marketing Manager"

CARPE DIEM

While we're talking, envious time is fleeing: pluck the day, put no trust in the future.

I have actually posted on 3 caravanning websites. I did this for several reasons:

(1) To see if there were any other people who had suffered similar problems.

(2) To try to "get to the bottom of my problems" (£450+ for brake repairs last August, £50 for freeing of seized brakes this April and a delayed holiday are items that I could definitely do without!!!).

(3) To try to ensure that the problems that I had had would not recur as I travel widely with towing our caravan, including 5 weeks/2000+ miles each summer in Continental Europe.

(4) To share what I regarded as a situation which might be of relevance and/or interest to other caravanners, I regard this an important benefit/purpose of caravanning websites.

I hope this clarifies my position and reasoning.

Tim

Sorry Tim, I was not meaning to get at you. I just find it very amusing that about half* the threads on here are repeated on other forums. Would life be simpler if there was just here.

* Over exaggeration.

Alko have stated that "most of the problems have been down to the towbar electrical faults". Considering that Alko insist on factory or approved contractors fitting the ATC surely the first thing that would be checked, by them, would be the car/towbar electrics? In fact Alko emphasise this point. That being so either something has been overlooked at the fitting stage, or faults have developed since fitment took place. If the latter this is a matter for concern. However, electrical faults do not appear to be related to the brake rod problem (unless I have missed something). The ATC is available for DIY fitting in Europe, are there any problems reported over there?

To Chilly Penguin

No offence taken, but thanks for apologising anyway!!!

I know what you mean by repeats on other websites and I am sometimes guilty of this on occasion. On the other hand I find using the other forums does get different perspectives which is useful.

Best wishes

Tim

Alko have stated that "most of the problems have been down to the towbar electrical faults". Considering that Alko insist on factory or approved contractors fitting the ATC surely the first thing that would be checked, by them, would be the car/towbar electrics? In fact Alko emphasise this point. That being so either something has been overlooked at the fitting stage, or faults have developed since fitment took place. If the latter this is a matter for concern. However, electrical faults do not appear to be related to the brake rod problem (unless I have missed something). The ATC is available for DIY fitting in Europe, are there any problems reported over there?

Beejay,

Thanks for the post.

When either ourselves or CMI carry out retrofits of ATC to caravans, we carry out an electrical check to ensure that all the necessary circuits are live and that there are no obvious problems with towbar electrics. However, the most common problems that we see are intermittent connection faults or low voltage being generated from the towcar. We take great care to ensure that the vehicle is suitable to operate ATC and on some occasions have actually turned customers away because their vehicle electrics are not capable to operate ATC. If the fault doesnt show itself while we are doing our tests, then we cannot tell the customer that he has a potential problem. Its important to realise that most of these towbar electrical issues are already in existence before ATC comes into the equation and are often untraceable at the point of testing.

I would also like to point out that we are not Towbar fitters and we recommend anyone who has ATC fitted to their caravan, that prior to fitment, they take their vehicle and have the electrics checked out by their towbar fitter to ensure there are no problems. Which if you look at the text of the letter I sent to Agzy, you will see I have recommended that he do just that. We cannot be held responsible if people dont follow our recommendations, but fortunately ATC has a memory that stores these errors so that we can point this out to the customer, should they experience problems.

But that only takes care of the retrofits, we also supply ATC as standard on some caravans and have taken the opportunity to advise Dealers to also recommend that Towbars are checked properly prior to collecting the new caravan. Again, if the customer chooses not to follow this recommendation then we cannot be held responsible should they experience problems as a result of a towbar electrical fault.

Agzy had contacted AL-KO as a result of speaking to someone who had experienced a problem and assumed that it might be related to ATC. My response to Agzy was to put his mind at rest and to give him the information that would enable him to ensure that when he has ATC fitted, his tow vehicle is correctly set up.

I am going to be accompanying our Service Engineer when we go out to see Big Tims van next week. I will be able to see for myself what has happened, but the inference from Tim's post here is that the brakes werent properly adjusted when repaired, which could have contributed to the brakes seizing on. There is no reason to believe that ATC is at fault on this occasion either, because the unit has worked prior to the incident and has continued to work since the problem occured. When we have had the opportunity to investigate this situation, we will take the appropriate action necessary.

I hope this answers the question in as comprehensive a way to assure the forum users that there are no issues with ATC.

kind regards,

Paul Jones

Marketing Manager

AL-KO Kober Limited