110 Amp Tight Fit

rugrat2

Hi put a 110 amp leisure battery in Burgundy 7 what a tight fit, had to shoehorn it in battery box,not bad length wise,but hight wise very tight, might have been a tadge easier if left out of the battery tray,however Bailey say to leave in tray in case of spillage. Anyone else had this problem?....Neil

Neil. .

Ford Mondeo Titanium x Auto Estate / Bailey Pagent burgundy series 7

We had exactly the same problems with our Baiey Pageant and Senator. I think they all have the same size battery box. Our problem was compounded by the extra leads for the Motor Mover. We wanted the larger battery capacity because of the mover and the fact that we spend some time on Sites without Mains Electricity. In fact one brand of leisure battery they sell locally was too tall for the box.

Whatever you do don't try to get away without the battery tray. We have had a couple of instances of the battery 'overflowing' due we think to being over filled when we bought it. The tray collected the 'spillage' and is made of a material which seems to be impervious to the acid, unlike my fingers when I found it!

The Bailey handbook states that you should use an 85Ah battery.

Regards

Dave

Edited by caraman1

Discovery 4 HSE 2015, Bailey Unicorn S4 Barcelona 2018.
http://www. mycaravan. org. uk/

Hi put a 110 amp leisure battery in Burgundy 7 what a tight fit, had to shoehorn it in battery box,not bad length wise,but hight wise very tight, might have been a tadge easier if left out of the battery tray,however Bailey say to leave in tray in case of spillage. Anyone else had this problem?....Neil

Hi Neil

We have a series 5, and my ersol (which is a 125ah) is fine, admitting its snug, but

fits in the case ok, and goes in the box, and the door shuts.

So they must be cutting down on things ie sizes !

Radiotwo

Steve - Land Cruiser Amazon Auto + Pageant Series 5 Champagne

The match between car and caravan is perfect in accordance with a mix of European standards. However, according to the British Towing Code the percentage (loaded caravan / kerbweight tow car) is 49%.

We have same problem. Need to have 110 a/H battery because we too have a mover. The battery is not exactly touching the box sides/top, but the slightest increase in battery size would make it a no-no.

We have kept the drip tray in place, but the battery has to be located in it first, and both slid into the box together. The last thing to do is, with the battery partially out of the box, to fit the snap-on battery terminals and then push the battery fully home.

Because of the mover, I have fitted heavier duty leads, and tucking these in place to get the box to close (and without trapping the leads) is a heck of a fiddly job. Another 25 mm all round wouldn't have been a problem. Motor movers have been around long enough for the caravan makers/battery box suppliers to recognise the need for the next size battery up - 110 a/H.

Ours is also a tight(ish) fit in the Bretagne but I never thought of it as a problem. Yes, you have to fit the battery in the tray and secure the leads before sliding it into place but it wasn't that bad.

Could see it might be annoying if you had to access it every 5 mins, luckily, I don't. :)

Better that it's a little tight than slopping around in there like a bull in a china shop!

Yep, tight squeeze on our Indiana. Rang the dealer just to make sure it was ok to fit a 110ah battery <_<

Ford Kuga Powershift AWD. Bailey Senator Indiana Series 6

Use a smaller AGM battery. No possibility of spillage, can be used on it's side if necessary. Excellent at delivering high amperage. Very low self discharge. Will recover better after heavy use. More charge cycles. Longer life.

We had the battery at home over the winter and struggled to get it back in it's compartment again. Stuffing the cables in then closing it all up was very difficult but it's a bit easier now the cables have been squashed in there for a week.

Mine: Fiesta; his Mondeo Estate; ours Bailey Olympus534, DD1's Poppy the cocker but she comes with us!

We had the battery at home over the winter and struggled to get it back in it's compartment again. Stuffing the cables in then closing it all up was very difficult but it's a bit easier now the cables have been squashed in there for a week.

A 110A battery was a tight fit in our Eccles and, as well as the motor mover cables, I wanted to wire in an inverter. So I fitted heavy duty leads and a pair of distribution blocks. This made it easy to fit the battery AND close the locker door.

Mike

Yes, a 110a battery is very tight, especially with motor mover cables in the box as well, but it can be done.  One solution is to reduce the cables attached to the terminals to the originals - ie one red and one black, but to upgrade these and then take them through the battery box and, with a small distribution box close by, you can then supply the feed to the motor mover as well.  This halves from 4 to 2 the number of cables requiring attachment to the battery terminals, and certainly makes it easier to remove and replace the battery when there is so little spare height available.

GMC

Swift Challenger 565 2016 and Ford Kuga Titanium X TDCi

When I fitted the mover I made a slight mod to the battery wiring

I fitted 2 switches instead of one and connected just one set of heavy cables to the battery

One switch is in the +ve and the other is in the -ve

Inside the caravan I then connected the new battery +v to the live side(feed) of the switch together with the old van feed that was from the battery to van electrics

The switched side of the +ve was then connected to the motor mover

The other switch in the negative had one new heavy lead from the battery and this was connected to the motor negative on the feed side but the van negative was connected on the switched side

So that means that the mover can be isolated by switching off the+ve switch and the caravan can be isolated by switching off the -ve switch(never needed it yet but. ..)

That is incidental to having just one set of wires in the tight space of the battery box when using a 110 amp hour battery :rolleyes:

BMW X3 X Drive and Swift Challenger 580SE

I have 110ah battery as well.

I have never had any problem with it.

The dealer took the battery out of the old van and put it into this one and the fitter that installed the mover connected the mover cables, all I've ever done is look at it :lol:

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

The dealer took the battery out of the old van and put it into this one and the fitter that installed the mover connected the mover cables, all I've ever done is look at it :lol:

Didnt have a problem with it it was just tight getting in the battery box, but I suppose it keeps it from ratelling around, and maybe some 110 amp batterys are a different size. .

Neil. .

Ford Mondeo Titanium x Auto Estate / Bailey Pagent burgundy series 7

Its getting it in and out not looking that is the problem :D

BMW X3 X Drive and Swift Challenger 580SE

Guest John KS

I think all the manufacturers use the same battery box. I agree that they are too small height wise. The problem is that if you look inside the van then there is not a lot of space left to make it larger as the seat construction does not allow it. I can't see why they have to design vans with the battery at the front together with the gas bottles. Surely these could be put over the axle on either side of the van. This would reduce the nose weight.

I found the battery a much tighter fit in our old Pageant S5. Our new Swift Challenger has much more room. Try fitting a thinner tray.

Swift Challenger 490

Sorento + Fabia to help the Sorento up hills!