Advice On Water Heater Please

mark/jayne

Hi All,

Can anybody give me some advice please.

we picked new van up on the 12th feb Bailey ranger 470/4, ithought i better try the heater out for hot water before we go away at easter.

ive connected water filled the boiler up, switched on 240 switch near boiler turned it on too about 40 been on over 45 mins as stated in the book,

still no hot water can any body help me, sorry this is the 1st time ive had hot water available in a van if it worked

thanks all

mark

Mark & Jayne,

Kia Sorento xs 06
& Geist AKtiv 565 2007

Mark, I have had the same problem with my Abbey, I am going to presume that when you filled he water you had the hot taps open, and it did actually fill the water tank. Next, did you make sure the circuit breaker was in the ON position? The next thing, as far as I know, on electric there is no thermostatic control as such, it heats to 70 degrees and thats it, but there mat be a switch, next to the thermostat which switches from gas to electric,make sure that one is set to electric.

If after all that, it still dosent work, then if its a TrumaOmnistor, it does not have a reset switch, and in all likeleyhood, the heater element has been broken. It will be replaceable under warranty, but is a nuisance. Contact your dealer first thing Monday, unless they are open today.

Mark did the Dealer demonstrate the Water Heater was working when you collected the Van. ? Is the heater drainer tap closed - Re-check that Trip has not tripped.

Good luck

Mike

Mark did the Dealer demonstrate the Water Heater was working when you collected the Van. ? Is the heater drainer tap closed - Re-check that Trip has not tripped.

Good luck

Mike

14838[/snapback]

no the dealer did not show us it working ok just told us what too do, tap is closed and not tripped, just aboutto try on gas if that works it must be the element gone.

van new so am a bit p . .................... off, day off from work take van in 70 mile round trip

thanks for your reply will post how i got on

mark

Mark & Jayne,

Kia Sorento xs 06
& Geist AKtiv 565 2007

We've just had some problems with the water heater on our new 470/4 this weekend, works on gas, was working until this morning on electric.

May have had a similar problem last weekend, ?resolved by pulling the fuse out near the switch & replacing.

I can't see any sort of trip switch anywhere, and the fuse on the main box is intact. I'm going to replace the 3 amp fuse in the switch holder & run the system up next weekend, so will see if that is any different.

"Scars are souvenirs you never loose"

2010 Swift Charisma Freestyle 550 + 2007 Nissan Pathfinder Aventura.

Guest john1215
Hi All,

Can anybody give me some advice please.

we picked new van up on the 12th feb Bailey ranger 470/4, ithought i better try the heater out for hot water before we go away at easter.

ive connected water filled the boiler up, switched on 240 switch near boiler  turned it on too about 40 been on over 45 mins as stated in the book,

still no hot water can any body help me, sorry this is the 1st time ive had hot water available in a van  if it worked

thanks all

mark

14823[/snapback]

Mark,

It is possible that you didn't fill the hot tank when you first put the water on and that being the case, the overheat protection will have switched the heater off.

In future try this. When you have got the water source full and the external pump in make sure all the taps are closed before you put the pump on. Let the pump pressurise, you'll know this when the pump light goes out. Now open the HOT tap in the kitchen and let the water flow through until all the air is out of the pipes. Close this tap. Now open the other hot taps each one in sequence to let the air out of the pipes. Next do the cold taps, opening each in sequence until all the air is out of the pipes.

Turn on the water heater it should auto reset if it tripped out. The water should be warmish after 10 minutes or so from the hot tap.

When you leave the site in winter or if frost is likely, drain the system completely. Turn off the water heater, turn off the pump, open all the hot taps, open all the cold taps, open your water tank drain cock(usually under the front bunk near the water inlet and coloured yeloow), leave the taps open, this will let all of the water drain out and if there is a heavy frost will allow any water in the pipes that freezes to expand without causing damage.

In the summer months, if you are caravanning every weekend or a few times per month you can leave the water in the pipes which will save you time when connecting up. The procedure above is for Truma heaters.

I've been in your situation and it is easy to do so I know how you feel. Hope everything works ok.

john1215

Mark,

It is possible that you didn't fill the hot tank when you first put the water on and that being the case, the overheat protection will have switched the heater off.

In future try this. When you have got the water source full and the external pump in make sure all the taps are closed before you put the pump on. Let the pump pressurise, you'll know this when the pump light goes out. Now open the HOT tap in the kitchen and let the water flow through until all the air is out of the pipes. Close this tap. Now open the other hot taps each one in sequence to let the air out of the pipes. Next do the cold taps, opening each in sequence until all the air is out of the pipes.

Turn on the water heater it should auto reset if it tripped out. The water should be warmish after 10 minutes or so from the hot tap.

When you leave the site in winter or if frost is likely, drain the system completely. Turn off the water heater, turn off the pump, open all the hot taps, open all the cold taps, open your water tank drain cock(usually under the front bunk near the water inlet and coloured yeloow), leave the taps open, this will let all of the water drain out and if there is a heavy frost will allow any water in the pipes that freezes to expand without causing damage.

In the summer months, if you are caravanning every weekend or a few times per month you can leave the water in the pipes which will save you time when connecting up. The procedure above is for Truma heaters.

I've been in your situation and it is easy to do so I know how you feel. Hope everything works ok.

john1215

14868[/snapback]

thanks john i will try again when i get home from work in on monday, it sounds if ive put the pump on when no water available.

this just shows how informative you all are. thanks everybody mark

Mark & Jayne,

Kia Sorento xs 06
& Geist AKtiv 565 2007

. .............open your water tank drain cock(usually under the front bunk near the water inlet and coloured yeloow), . ...............

14868[/snapback]

. ...or could be a plug on the outside of the van by the heater for those with an older van. ....

. ...or could be a plug on the outside of the van by the heater for those with an older van. ....

14900[/snapback]

thanks navarac

its inside bailey 2005,

am going too try again after work on monday.

thanks all

Mark & Jayne,

Kia Sorento xs 06
& Geist AKtiv 565 2007

Guest john1215

14900[/snapback]

Navarac,

Thanks for the addition, I had considered this but seeing as mark/jayne had said they had purchased a new van I didn't bother.

john1215

got home, got water set up, rang dealer

got sorted, hot water it looked like i tripped the water heater some time when testing the van out,

informed the water heater has a automatic trip switch

thanks all

mark jayne

Mark & Jayne,

Kia Sorento xs 06
& Geist AKtiv 565 2007

Archived